Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with making Chutney/Fruit Sauce
Quote | Reply
Any preserve style cooks out there?

I have decided to make my Mom's favourite fruit sauce/chutney for her for Christmas. Problem is, it calls for 20 ripe tomatoes, 6 peaches and 6 pears. I live in the ccccold north, so nothing in the stores is vine or tree ripe at this time of year. Is it possible to use canned tomatoes, peaches and pears? Will it taste awful? How many cans of tomatoes equal 20 ripe tomatoes? The recipe is from 40 years ago when tomatoes were more like the beefsteak style, so probably larger than today's tomatoes. Hoping the Lavender Room can rise to the occasion!

Bamboo
Quote Reply
Re: Help with making Chutney/Fruit Sauce [Bamboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget the burnt hair.

I would not use canned. The texture will be mush. My call would be that it is better to have shipped in fresh fruit by far.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with making Chutney/Fruit Sauce [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Don't forget the burnt hair.

I would not use canned. The texture will be mush. My call would be that it is better to have shipped in fresh fruit by far.

Lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with making Chutney/Fruit Sauce [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I wondered about that. Not the burnt hair :) the consistency...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pears you can get, let them ripen on their own.

Are nice baby plum tomatoes available? These are the closest in flavour to home grown that i've found. I'd say 4 = one beefsteak, give or take.

Peaches are tricky. You could try coaxing some flavour and ripeness by putting store ones in a paper bag with a very ripe banana. Or just use mango -- more tang, but a similar consistency.

Good luck, sounds like a fun project.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with making Chutney/Fruit Sauce [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much!! I never thought of a mango. That would probably be a good substitute. And I will try the plum tomatoes. Hmmm... 80... I may have to corner the market on them. :)

Thanks for the good ideas!!

Bamboo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bamboo wrote:
Thanks so much!! I never thought of a mango. That would probably be a good substitute. And I will try the plum tomatoes. Hmmm... 80... I may have to corner the market on them. :)

Thanks for the good ideas!!

Bamboo

Seems like that would make a lot of chutney. Maybe you could cut the recipe in half?
Quote Reply
Re: Help with making Chutney/Fruit Sauce [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Recipe makes 12 x 2 cup jars. I might cut it in half. Thanks!
Bamboo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance of sharing the recipe? I was planning on making a few chutneys over the break, sounds like an interesting one!
Quote Reply
Re: Help with making Chutney/Fruit Sauce [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20 ripe tomato
6 peaches
6 pears
6 cooking onions
3 red bell peppers
3 green peppers
1 head celery
4c brown sugar
2T salt
4c cider vinegar
1c pickling spices
6 bay leaves
3tsp curry powder

Peel tomatoes, peaches and pears. Chop tomatoes, peaches, pears, onions, peppers and celery. Dissolve sugar and salt in vinegar. Pour over chopped fruit and vegetables. Tie pickling spices and bay leaves in cheesecloth bag (impt otherwise will be too strong). Add with curry powder to chili mixture. Heat to boiling and reduce heat and simmer gently 2 hours. Stir occasionally. Mixture will thicken. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal. Makes 12 x 2cup jars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, will let you know how I get on!
Quote Reply