Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

WiFi cameras for your home
Quote | Reply
For those that aren't worried about the Russians hacking their home wifi crap, this is for you:

We've discussed wifi thermostats. Now onto a camera system for your house. I'm not worried about "security", but nice to take a look and see remotely. Any experiences? Any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: WiFi cameras for your home [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What, you wanna see the musk ox in your yard?
Quote Reply
Re: WiFi cameras for your home [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
What, you wanna see the musk ox in your yard?

Haha, no. I want to see the luscious green grass of the golf course at my getaway spot....while looking at those stupid shaggy beasts out my windows here. Lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Ring Stick Up cams along w a Ring doorbell. Easy setup and 6 months in I am quite satisfied. I do notice battery life is a little worse than advertised w my driveway cam when I have the motion activation turned on. This cam needs to be charged about every 2.5 months.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just installed Arlo by Netgear. Works great! You can adjust the motion sensitivity, how long it records, etc.. all recording is to the cloud, for free you get seven days and 1 TB I believe. From the phone app you can pull up and view any camera anytime.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: WiFi cameras for your home [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
I just installed Arlo by Netgear. Works great! You can adjust the motion sensitivity, how long it records, etc.. all recording is to the cloud, for free you get seven days and 1 TB I believe. From the phone app you can pull up and view any camera anytime.

How long do the camera batteries last?

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: WiFi cameras for your home [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know yet, I've had it up and running for a month . Each camera uses 4 Cr123 batteries (looks like a small C battery).

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm also using Arlo. Good cameras, don't take up much room. Only negative I've seen is that it takes a second or two for the motion detector to spin up, so you have to place them with that in mind if you're trying to catch something.

If I had to do it all over, I might have gone with the Arlo pro to provide 2 way audio.

I like that it is completely wireless. I've had for about 4.5 months now and is pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been looking at the Amcrest cameras. I like the ability to swivel and pan remotely.

Again, these aren't really for "security". More of a "what's going on" with the ability to maybe work in a security function.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:

Just a word of caution about Netgear. I have their Vuezone system installed. They have announced they are dropping all support for it at the end of 2017 so I will literally have a piece of crap unless I "upgrade" to Arlo. My present systems works great, it's paid for but in 365 days it will be valueless. Netgear can rot in hell. This is no way to treat a customer, soon to be an ex-customer.

https://community.netgear.com/...stomers/td-p/1108771

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: WiFi cameras for your home [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
justgeorge wrote:

Just a word of caution about Netgear. I have their Vuezone system installed. They have announced they are dropping all support for it at the end of 2017 so I will literally have a piece of crap unless I "upgrade" to Arlo. My present systems works great, it's paid for but in 365 days it will be valueless. Netgear can rot in hell. This is no way to treat a customer, soon to be an ex-customer.

https://community.netgear.com/...stomers/td-p/1108771

NOTE: I read through the posts. It appears that Netgear has decided to provide on-going support for existing Vuezone hardware. This should be stated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Nest Outdoor rated WiFi camera using a Cyber Monday promotion. Have yet to hook it up as I was going to use it initially as a baby monitor....for whenever we get the boy to sleep in his own room (not happening so far). But I figured instead of buying a specific child monitor version to get the Nest to use it as a regular security camera afterwards since the time window of needing it for that purpose isn't really that long. Got it based friend's recommendation as that is what they use for their baby. It is powered by the USB cable and has a speaker/mic (to talk back and forth if used for the front door).

Only thing I haven't tried to figure out is how to bypass the Nest cloud service for recording and have it dump the video into a HD instead. Would like to do this but haven't looked into it yet....I'm pretty sure somebody has tried but unsure if they were successful or not.
Quote Reply
Re: WiFi cameras for your home [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a Nest Outdoor camera overlooking our porch and driveway. The only two negatives we've seen are the monthly fee for keeping recordings (paying for it for a while) and that our flag, blowing proudly in the breeze, often sets off motion alerts.

We did catch the UPS guy doing a 4 or 5 foot "aerial" delivery to our porch (dented the box but didn't damage the contents).

---
No fear. No envy. No meanness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For external camera's, I picked up a couple from https://www.getkuna.com/. I don't use their monthly service to get the extended storage time but it's worked nice. You can talk through them so it's been nice to see someone walk up to the house at work and ask them if they need something. Also a loud siren you can trigger as well. I like that they blend in well on each side of our garage. We had something big delivered a couple weeks ago, I saw it show up and was able to go home and get it before the porch pirates came around.

If you are interested use this link for $20 off
http://getkuna.refr.cc/8JJ3SW2
Quote Reply