Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scotch gift
Quote | Reply
Looking for a bottle for a gift. Giftee doesn't like peaty, smokey varieties (not my call, so don't judge). Price not really a concern. Suggestions?

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Scotch gift [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Several threads in here with lots of recommendations if you do a search for whiskey, whisky, Scotch, bourbon, etc.

When someone wants a recommendation with no particular price range or flavor profile, I usually recommend Glenmorangie. The regular 10yr for people who don't drink a lot of Scotch, and the Quinta Rubin for those who are a little more familiar with Scotch. Both are easy to find, can be had for around $50-60, and are good solid choices that never disappoint. The QR is interesting because it's aged in Port barrels and has a really nice flavor as a result.

Otherwise, there are basically no end to your options, unless you have a specific price range, flavor profile, or maybe you want a blend instead of a single malt, or have some other special consideration.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Scotch gift [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it sounds like you'd be best going with a Speyside. They're often sherry casked, a bit sweet and can be very flavoursome. If available where you are, then I'd suggest Aberlour A'bunadh. Very intense cask strength, so needs water but quite amazing. Old Pulteney 21yo is just about the best whisky I've ever tried and there's nothing too peaty or harsh about it. Expensive, but you did say price was not a concern.
Quote Reply
Re: Scotch gift [hoser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes on Aberlour, it's my go-to and I instantly thought of it when I read the OP's comment about looking for something without a lot of peat. Has a nice smoothness to it, the 12 is around the $45 price range in my area.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Scotch gift [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Several threads in here with lots of recommendations if you do a search for whiskey, whisky, Scotch, bourbon, etc.

When someone wants a recommendation with no particular price range or flavor profile, I usually recommend Glenmorangie. The regular 10yr for people who don't drink a lot of Scotch, and the Quinta Rubin for those who are a little more familiar with Scotch. Both are easy to find, can be had for around $50-60, and are good solid choices that never disappoint. The QR is interesting because it's aged in Port barrels and has a really nice flavor as a result.

Otherwise, there are basically no end to your options, unless you have a specific price range, flavor profile, or maybe you want a blend instead of a single malt, or have some other special consideration.

I have Quinta Ruban and Lasanta, plus Macallan 12 yr in house currently. Lasanta is my favorite of the 3. Quinta Ruban and Lasanta both have an excellent velvety mouth feel. I find many other scotchs I have tried thin in comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: Scotch gift [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattbk wrote:
slowguy wrote:

I have Quinta Ruban and Lasanta, plus Macallan 12 yr in house currently. Lasanta is my favorite of the 3. Quinta Ruban and Lasanta both have an excellent velvety mouth feel. I find many other scotchs I have tried thin in comparison.

Yeah, I like the Lasanta as well. I just think the Quinta Ruban stands out because so many other Scotches have a sherry finish, and like you said, the extra body from the port is distinctive.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply