Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Trail Map as Art
Quote | Reply
I have a buddy building a house near our local state park. I'm thinking it would be cool to give him a trail map to put on the wall. It needs to be nicer than the tri-folds they give out when you enter. Has anyone seen anything like this before? I'm thinking on the Internet they have all types of home made artsy stuff. Anyone have any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Map as Art [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw it once on a lodge in the GWN. Somebody with artistic ability painted the local trail map onto a full sized wall copied from the map. You might be thinking something more along the lines of digital scan, print and frame?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had (technically my wife got it for me as a present) a 3D relief map made of wood of someplace special. It is really cool and was pretty cheap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually doing this for my wife for Christmas with the maritime charts of the area.

Half the charm is the real map, the other half is of course a nice frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think you could get maps of the park from public records or from whatever department runs your State parks. Even if you can just get a digital copy, you can have that printed and framed in a good size.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get unfolded (rolled) topo maps from USGS.

We have topos covering the entire Santa Barbara area (and back country) framed on a wall in our rental.

When the tenant is out I'll snap a photo and post it.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
original antique maps of the area in a frame would be a good consideration

I've been bought original survey maps of my home's locations showing what was there pre construction - something like that from a dealer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh sure. You can buy all kinds of maps and have them framed. I've done it a few times because I love maps. I bet you can find an old map of the same area, not of the existing park, and that would be a great gift as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Map as Art [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Actually doing this for my wife for Christmas with the maritime charts of the area.

Half the charm is the real map, the other half is of course a nice frame.

This. I love Italy. On my last trip there, I bought a nice map. It got a little beat up and wrinkled on the trip, but my wife had it very nicely framed for Christmas one year. It's in a very central spot in the living room now and looks beautiful, doesn't seem out of place at all, and gets a lot of comments.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Map as Art [scorpio516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

These are very cool, though this site didn't have Alabama. I'm looking at USGS now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always love the framed nautical maps with the depth charts. Have also seen in a local gallery in Alaska where an artist paints a scene from the area on the chart map with the map itself as the backdrop.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Trail Map as Art [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
I always love the framed nautical maps with the depth charts. Have also seen in a local gallery in Alaska where an artist paints a scene from the area on the chart map with the map itself as the backdrop.

We've got a couple of nautical maps of Cape Cod/MV/Nantucket/Georges Bank framed in our house. One of them also has shipping and flight lanes on it.

We also had a huge color copy of one of them made and we used it for our wedding RSVPs - cut up the copy and had the squares mounted on the RSVP, so when we got them back we could put them together like a big jigsaw puzzle.
Quote Reply
Re: Trail Map as Art [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty cool

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love maps. We did a trip to the Boundary Waters a few years ago and have a rolled topo of the area framed in barn board hanging over the fire place. We also have framed topos hanging at our cabin.
Quote Reply