Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

so a driverless Uber car kills someon - what happens at the moment as they are operating without
Quote | Reply
the correct permissions?

who's charged? the person driving? do Uber have any liability?

I'm hearing these stories about CA and the Uber not playing ball and XC90's running red lights? what can the state do about them?

I imagine if something happens they have a significant liability?
Quote Reply
Re: so a driverless Uber car kills someon - what happens at the moment as they are operating without [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The State hates Uber.

The Uber model killls The State's goal to get everyone using public transportation (and thereby controlling the movements of the populous).

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: so a driverless Uber car kills someon - what happens at the moment as they are operating without [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why shouldn't driverless Ubers be allowed to run red lights? Everyone else does it.

I have a personality disorder, I don't drink coffee...
Quote Reply
Re: so a driverless Uber car kills someon - what happens at the moment as they are operating without [wasusnowme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
Why shouldn't driverless Ubers be allowed to run red lights? Everyone else does it.

I don't know about that. The fine for running a red light here in San Diego is $500.00 +.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not if it runs over and kills a bicyclist. It will still be able to say "I didn't see him" with no charges.
Quote Reply
Re: so a driverless Uber car kills someon - what happens at the moment as they are operating without [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Not if it runs over and kills a bicyclist. It will still be able to say "I didn't see him" with no charges.

don't be silly the driver will get a ticket for running the red light
Quote Reply
Re: so a driverless Uber car kills someon - what happens at the moment as they are operating without [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
I don't know about that. The fine for running a red light here in San Diego is $500.00 +.

What percentage of people who run red lights are actually ticketed? If SD is anything like my area it is considerably less than 1 percent. Running stop lights and signs in this area is so pervasive people do it in front of the cops knowing they stand little chance of getting ticketed. I have even seen a state police officer get passed on a double yellow by a woman going 15+ mph over the speed limit and the officer didn't even bat an eye.

Quote Reply
Re: so a driverless Uber car kills someon - what happens at the moment as they are operating without [wasusnowme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
getcereal wrote:

What percentage of people who run red lights are actually ticketed? If SD is anything like my area it is considerably less than 1 percent. Running stop lights and signs in this area is so pervasive people do it in front of the cops knowing they stand little chance of getting ticketed. I have even seen a state police officer get passed on a double yellow by a woman going 15+ mph over the speed limit and the officer didn't even bat an eye.

There are a lot of dick head cops here. They will stake out places where the can write up a lot of tickets- stop signs, rolling through clear right turns on red. I think the CHP is the worst. I have seen them at the bottom of a long freeway down hills with there radar guns and nailing poor saps going around 70 mph.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They will go after both the driver and Uber, but Uber has much deeper pockets.
Quote Reply
Re: so a driverless Uber car kills someon - what happens at the moment as they are operating without [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
There are a lot of dick head cops here. They will stake out places where the can write up a lot of tickets- stop signs, rolling through clear right turns on red. I think the CHP is the worst. I have seen them at the bottom of a long freeway down hills with there radar guns and nailing poor saps going around 70 mph.

You may not like the way or manner in which the traffic laws are being enforced, but, to call the police officer tasked with traffic law enforcement a dick head is petty.

It is 'Right On Red AFTER Stop' not 'Yield Only If You Are Going To Get Hit On Red'.

If the 'poor saps' are exceeding the speed limit then they must not be that poor because they can obviously afford to pay the speeding fine.

Personally, I have never been pulled over while obeying traffic. I would like to see GPSs in all automobile ECUs in order to have Big Brother track all traffic and automatically issue speeding / stop sign / red light citations to the owner of an automobile when said automobile exceeds the speed limit or runs a stop sign / red light. Just think how much safer cyclists would be if the ALL cars on the road were required to follow the laws of the road.

We could take it one step further and put GPSs in all bicycles so anyone who buzzes a cyclist within three feet automatically receives a citation.

There is no end to how we can use technology to make our world safer for cyclists...

Before you are tempted, don't bother throwing up any arguments regarding rights.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
getcereal wrote:

Are you talking about rolling through stop signs? Sure almost always done unless cross traffic prevents it. I am part the 1-5 % who fully stop.

But red lights usually get a stop, but if it is right on red, then it may not get full stop and be closer to the rolling stop at stop signs.

I would hope if we have driverless cars we would program to follow the traffic laws and not train them to act like the average driver.
Quote Reply
Re: so a driverless Uber car kills someon - what happens at the moment as they are operating without [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
I would hope if we have driverless cars we would program to follow the traffic laws and not train them to act like the average driver.

At the moment, driverless cars follow some of the laws like stopping but act more like an average driver for things like speeding. The programmers quickly determined that a car going 55 while traffic is flowing at 65 is at greater risk of causing an accident. The most common cause of driverless car accidents are cases when people rear end the dirverless cars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:

Damn straight. Every car should be equipped with cameras and video evidence from those cameras should be acceptable in court. I have almost been killed too many times this year alone. And my kid will be driving in about a year. Not a happy thought.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: so a driverless Uber car kills someon - what happens at the moment as they are operating without [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
patf wrote:

At the moment, driverless cars follow some of the laws like stopping but act more like an average driver for things like speeding. The programmers quickly determined that a car going 55 while traffic is flowing at 65 is at greater risk of causing an accident. The most common cause of driverless car accidents are cases when people rear end the dirverless cars.

So drivers who are too stupid to see they are traveling faster than the car in front of them are given a pass because traffic is moving at 65 mph? What a crock of bull shit! The roads are pretty much lawless and just about everyone who drives is a criminal.

Quote Reply
Re: so a driverless Uber car kills someon - what happens at the moment as they are operating without [patf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patf wrote:
Are you talking about rolling through stop signs? Sure almost always done unless cross traffic prevents it. I am part the 1-5 % who fully stop.

But red lights usually get a stop, but if it is right on red, then it may not get full stop and be closer to the rolling stop at stop signs.

Around here if you are first in line and the light turns yellow you better stomp on the gas because the fifth car behind you has already made the decision they are going through.

Also around here you will occasionally see someone driving the wrong way around a traffic circle to make a left hand turn so they can save the time of having to drive 270 degrees around the circle. I have even seen school bus drivers do it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason the driverless cars are rear ended is because they don't behave like average car drivers particularly in busy urban streets. Human drivers anticipate and plan their behaviors based on normal operations. If they gave themselves enough margin to handle every unlikely event then traffic would come to a standstill.

If traffic is flowing at 35 mph on a busy street and a google car slams on the breaks because it senses a pedestrian entering the street there is a good chance it will be rear ended. Most people driving cars in the same situation would expect the pedestrian to stop before walking out into a busy street.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
These cars will have lots of cameras on them. They will record accidents in unprecedented detail. I'm guessing for every accident a driverless car has, there will be dozens of accidents showing bat ass crazy human drivers doing reckless things. And the cameras will capture it all.

If human taxis or cars had all this recorded detail, many lawsuits would be settled quickly.
Last edited by: FishyJoe: Dec 16, 16 14:12
Quote Reply
Re: so a driverless Uber car kills someon - what happens at the moment as they are operating without [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply