Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "Threats without power are like powder without ball." [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She was a paid commentator who was never, to my knowledge, presented as a journalist or anything remotely resembling objective. That doesn't make her a "member of the press" in any meaningful way.

Good grief. This is a more ridiculous point of argument than what constitutes a remote road.

She was head of the DNC and employed as a contributor to CNN. If you want to maintain some fine distinction that she wasn't part of the press because she wasn't presented as a journalist, I'm sure I can't persuade you otherwise. But it's the same kind of fiction that the Democrat party tried to put over when it said it wasn't blocking Bernie in the primaries.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: "Threats without power are like powder without ball." [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not a fine distinction whatsoever: she was not a member of the press. She was a partisan operative hired by CNN to contribute to their political programming. There are dozens if not hundreds of people who do exactly that on cable news outlets who no one would ever consider to be members of the press.

A member of the media, yes, by virtue of her contract, but again, media and press aren't synonymous in today's infotainment ecosystem.

I'm not defending what she did, but what she did didn't violate any journalistic ethical standard, because she isn't a journalist, and never presented herself as one. She was fired because she used her foothold in the news business to help her party's nominee. She abused her position with CNN.

She doesn't need to have been considered a bona fide member of the press for people to universally acknowledge that what she did was inappropriate and warranted termination, or to recognize that this new media infotainment ecosystem is a breeding ground for this kind of nonsense.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Dec 16, 16 14:58
Quote Reply
Re: "Threats without power are like powder without ball." [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:
Duffy wrote:
Btw, Julian assange says the Russians were NOT his source.

Are you saying Assange is 100 percent credible?

I would say with his track record that he has more credibility than the CIA or the FBI.

As long as the bar you are using to measure credibility is very close to the ground. Don't forget that he is, in essence, a prisoner in an embassy.

I have a personality disorder, I don't drink coffee...
Quote Reply
Re: "Threats without power are like powder without ball." [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright. I'll accept your distinction between press and media. Does it make a difference to the overall discussion? The issue isn't journalistic ethics, it's the relationship between the media and the political party. You don't think it's a good thing to know that a member of the *media* was giving a candidate the questions ahead of time?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: "Threats without power are like powder without ball." [aironagstring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aironagstring wrote:
Duffy wrote:
aironagstring wrote:
Duffy wrote:
aironagstring wrote:
This is how you used to be.

Do you really think they aren't going to kill your next dog?

Who's "they"?

I take it this was a post count post. Or you like John Wick as much as I do and just wanted to see him again.

I give zero fucks about post count. I just have no idea what this post is suppose to mean.

I think it's called an analogy. Wick would represent the way the US used to be. The dog would be national security. Or something like that. Peace and love!

That is truly comical, considering your post just before this one.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: "Threats without power are like powder without ball." [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
So far it sounds like more "Fake news" by the butt hurt libs/media.

So far I haven't heard of any credible names to collaborate the Russian hacking story.

To my knowledge Podesta fell for a simple phishing scam. You don't need country sponsored hackers to pull that off.

Funny, nobody seems to upset about the illegal hacking of Trumps taxes and the New York times displaying them for the whole world to see.

Hard to take anyone seriously who doesn't understand the difference between collaborate and corroborate.

IIRC The New York Times received the tax returns in the mail, not via hacking.

Quote Reply
Re: "Threats without power are like powder without ball." [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:

So far I haven't heard of any credible names to collaborate the Russian hacking story.

What qualifies as "credible names" for you? Apparently not the directors of the FBI and CIA and the DNI?

http://www.cbsnews.com/...n-and-favored-trump/

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: "Threats without power are like powder without ball." [wasusnowme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wasusnowme wrote:
getcereal wrote:

To my knowledge Podesta fell for a simple phishing scam. You don't need country sponsored hackers to pull that off.

Funny, nobody seems to upset about the illegal hacking of Trumps taxes and the New York times displaying them for the whole world to see.

Hard to take anyone seriously who doesn't understand the difference between collaborate and corroborate.

From who and how did they get them?

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: "Threats without power are like powder without ball." [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:
wasusnowme wrote:

From who and how did they get them?

From whom? Don't rightly know.

http://www.alternet.org/...-leak-campaign-staff

http://nymag.com/...x-return-leaker.html

Quote Reply
Re: "Threats without power are like powder without ball." [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Alright. I'll accept your distinction between press and media. Does it make a difference to the overall discussion?

It's not an unimportant distinction, generally, but probably not all that useful here.

vitus979 wrote:
The issue isn't journalistic ethics, it's the relationship between the media and the political party. You don't think it's a good thing to know that a member of the *media* was giving a candidate the questions ahead of time?

Of course it's good to know. Is it at all surprising, though, the way media has blurred all lines between information, entertainment, and journalism? Though I will admit I was surprised to see her given a role in the debate.

It was useful to learn that it happened. It would be even better if there were nothing to reveal; better still if it weren't a meddling nation doing the revealing for their own manipulative purposes; and ultimately best if we weren't more interested in conducting a circular firing squad in response, rather than training our attention on the actual offenses, both domestic and foreign. I can only imagine how the Kremlin is relishing our total ineptitude, or even the semblance of interest in mounting a credible and unified response. Shameful, really.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Dec 16, 16 17:01
Quote Reply
Re: "Threats without power are like powder without ball." [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
getcereal wrote:

What qualifies as "credible names" for you? Apparently not the directors of the FBI and CIA and the DNI?

http://www.cbsnews.com/...n-and-favored-trump/

Somebody is lying:

"However, whether the Russians did so remains an open question, Comey said, adding that it was just as likely that the hacking was done by people who had no direct connection to the Russian government."

http://www.newsmax.com/...016/12/14/id/764008/
Quote Reply

Prev Next