Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NFL finally gets something right...sort of
Quote | Reply
Adios, Pinktober.

Quote:
The initiative will still be called “A Crucial Catch,” but teams now have a say in the cause they’ll champion for about 18 percent of their schedule. They can still choose breast cancer, or another detectable, screenable cancer such as prostate or colorectal cancer—or one to which a player or coach has a personal tie. Teams can also support more than one cancer cause per season, and they can change their choice(s) from one season to the next. Similar to the “My Cause, My Cleats” campaign that debuted this year, in which players wore customized cleats to share a message for one game, it’s a break from the homogeneity of NFL campaigns in the past.

http://mmqb.si.com/...ncer-awareness-month

I wonder what happens when a player's cause is combating heart disease, stroke, or diabetes, which are also to one degree or another preventable and detectable early with proper screening. They also happen to pose a far greater burden to the nation's health and health care expenditures.

But a step in the right direction nonetheless.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Dec 16, 16 7:40
Quote Reply
Re: NFL finally gets something right...sort of [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Queue the protests about the misogyny of the NFL. In 3,2,1....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finally? Are you trying to imply they haven't gotten anything right previously? If so, how the fuck did they build a multi-billion dollar business?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should just play football. Figure out how to define a catch first, maybe, then come up with rules identifying what national health issues are appropriate for charity, huh?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I don't want to see the rectal cancer color rush uniforms...
Quote Reply
Re: NFL finally gets something right...sort of [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would tend to agree with you, but the NFL has been trying to compensate for bud PR ever since at least the 70s because at the end of the day, lets face it, there's a lot of seedy characters playing the game. Without the charities all we're left with are reports of date rape, spousal abuse, drug use, steroid use, and dog fighting rings.

I may be overstating it a bit, but you get the gist.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: NFL finally gets something right...sort of [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I know, and I still think they should just play football. Wearing pink socks during October, or now allowing players to wear some other special color for an approved disease of the month, does nothing for me. (I grant that it's not quite as annoying as the NFL producing maudlin commercials lecturing me about wife beating.)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: NFL finally gets something right...sort of [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would be better to have a protest about the efficacy of screening programs.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Yeah, I know, and I still think they should just play football. Wearing pink socks during October, or now allowing players to wear some other special color for an approved disease of the month, does nothing for me. (I grant that it's not quite as annoying as the NFL producing maudlin commercials lecturing me about wife beating.)
It allows them to have commercials and video montages in-game of players out in the community, doing good things. Why was everyone under the sun rooting for the Saints in 2010? Katrina, the people of New Orleans who were suffering, the response from the team and most notably Drew Brees to help rebuild. Hell, people may not want to admit it but in 2001 almost everyone was pulling for the Patriots, the scrappy underdog that came out as a team, had a red-white-and-blue Patriots across their helmets, Joe Andruzzi running out with the American flags after 9/11.

Part of these campaigns is plugging into the human element of these players, these organizations, making them relatable, likeable. The vast, vast majority of NFL players, even NFL coaches, execs, management--are good people, but much of what you hear about is domestic violence, PED's, gun violence, DUI's, CTE...it's a lot of bad shit.

It's incredibly important to highlight the 'good', imo, because otherwise the NFL without these causes is a cold corporate entity that doesn't care about player safety and does anything for another buck, and it's players are bad mofos because you hear half a dozen cases a year--of more than 1,500 total players--who do bad shit and it leaves an impression on the entire NFL. The NFL brand does still represent the cold corporate entity, in my eyes, but when you see these good community outreach programs, these charity programs, it does give you perspective and help you realize that MOST of these guys are upstanding citizens doing great things with their time and money, even if some of it comes off as forced.

That's my take anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
They should just play football. Figure out how to define a catch first, maybe, then come up with rules identifying what national health issues are appropriate for charity, huh?

The NFL is a non profit.........

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL finally gets something right...sort of [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:

That is not true. Only the league office (trade assn) was ever non profit. They terminated that status in 2015. The league office is primarily a flow thru entity.

The 32 individual teams have never had a 'non profit' tax status and have always been taxed on their earnings.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL finally gets something right...sort of [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
It allows them to have commercials and video montages in-game of players out in the community, doing good things. Why was everyone under the sun rooting for the Saints in 2010? Katrina, the people of New Orleans who were suffering, the response from the team and most notably Drew Brees to help rebuild. Hell, people may not want to admit it but in 2001 almost everyone was pulling for the Patriots, the scrappy underdog that came out as a team, had a red-white-and-blue Patriots across their helmets, Joe Andruzzi running out with the American flags after 9/11.

Part of these campaigns is plugging into the human element of these players, these organizations, making them relatable, likeable. The vast, vast majority of NFL players, even NFL coaches, execs, management--are good people, but much of what you hear about is domestic violence, PED's, gun violence, DUI's, CTE...it's a lot of bad shit.

It's incredibly important to highlight the 'good', imo, because otherwise the NFL without these causes is a cold corporate entity that doesn't care about player safety and does anything for another buck, and it's players are bad mofos because you hear half a dozen cases a year--of more than 1,500 total players--who do bad shit and it leaves an impression on the entire NFL. The NFL brand does still represent the cold corporate entity, in my eyes, but when you see these good community outreach programs, these charity programs, it does give you perspective and help you realize that MOST of these guys are upstanding citizens doing great things with their time and money, even if some of it comes off as forced.

That's my take anyway.

Pretty much my take as well, with the glaring exception of feeling the slightest twinge of anything resembling support for the Patriots, ever. ;)

Pinktober felt like an icky alliance between a charity market share behemoth and a league desperate to expand it's base to women and blunt its sharp edges. Add to that the prohibition on players wearing pink a day before or after October, and it became as irritating to my brain as it was to my eyes.

Personal interest stories and charitable works are what humanize the league through its players, and I love that personal aspect of football. The Walter Payton Man of the Year award segments, individual foundations, local community engagement and support, all of these things are hugely important to my interest, at least, so I'm glad to see they'll be given more space to show their support and tell their personal stories in the future.

Quote Reply
Re: NFL finally gets something right...sort of [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
Finally? Are you trying to imply they haven't gotten anything right previously? If so, how the fuck did they build a multi-billion dollar business?

Yes, Captain Literal, that's exactly what I'm saying.

Quote Reply
Re: NFL finally gets something right...sort of [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
japarker24 wrote:

That is not true. Only the league office (trade assn) was ever non profit. They terminated that status in 2015. The league office is primarily a flow thru entity.

The 32 individual teams have never had a 'non profit' tax status and have always been taxed on their earnings.

OK, the NFL was a non profit. I never implied that each team was a non profit. Each individual team is not "the NFL".

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Pinktober felt like an icky alliance between a charity market share behemoth and a league desperate to expand it's base to women and blunt its sharp edges. Add to that the prohibition on players wearing pink a day before or after October, and it became as irritating to my brain as it was to my eyes.
Totally with you there. Always felt forced and big corporate, very rigid and business-centric despite the 'charity' it represented. And it dulled the real stuff players did in the name of cancer research, because there were many players who did (and do) a lot more than wear a bunch of pink because their lives were directly effected by breast cancer. This new program sounds like those players will be able to really make a statement at the individual level, rather than a wall of pink.
Quote Reply
Re: NFL finally gets something right...sort of [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
japarker24 wrote:

OK, the NFL was a non profit. I never implied that each team was a non profit. Each individual team is not "the NFL".

No, but the collection of 32 tax-paying teams is the NFL. The league office certainly is not what people refer to when they say the NFL, they are talking about the league of teams that play each other. It's the League, not the League Office that generates billions of dollars in revenue.
Quote Reply