Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rogue One, a brief review, no spoilers.
Quote | Reply
Just saw it and loved it! Great carachters, and fantastic storyline. It couldnt have ended any other way and i liked that. Its a hero arc, but not the usual star wars universe story.There is a throwaway line in episode IV that i have a better appreciation for now.

Many easter eggs and background carachter cameos in this.

The best part of the whole experience was seeing my sons face light up at some of the cameos. We had a wonderful time rehashing it on the drive home!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Rogue One, a brief review, no spoilers. [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seeing it tomorrow as a fundraiser for my son's middle school robotics team, they rented out the entire theater.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was very entertaining. As an adult it is my favorite episode to date based on how much I enjoyed watching it in the theater. I took my two younger sons (11 and 10) and they loved it, as expected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Comparable to the last one? I thought the last one was fairly good, and I usually find action movies unwatchable. What's an easter egg?
Quote Reply
Re: Rogue One, a brief review, no spoilers. [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Comparable to the last one? I thought the last one was fairly good, and I usually find action movies unwatchable. What's an easter egg?

I think its better than the force awakens.

An easter egg is a hidden thing in a movie or a game. Its usually a reference to previous or related movies.

For example, in many pixar movies you can see toys from other pixar movies in the background.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

An easter egg is a hidden thing in a movie or a game. Its usually a reference to previous or related movies.

For example, in many pixar movies you can see toys from other pixar movies in the background.

That's what I figured, but wasn't sure. I think I saw the term for the first time just the other day. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:

And some are particularly obscure.

Three of the aliens working on Jabba’s sail barge are named Klaatu, Barada and Nikto, a reference to the robot-foiling codewords in The Day The Earth Stood Still. It’s a nicely underplayed nod to a science fiction classic,

It had been rumoured for months, but it likely still took cinemagoers two viewings of Star Wars: The Force Awakens to spot a certain 007. Yes, Daniel Craig swapped his tuxedo for stormtrooper armour, appearing in a fairly key scene with Daisy Ridley’s Rey. It’s on Craig’s unwitting stormtrooper that Rey first uses a Jedi mind trick, getting him to remove her restraints and leave the cell open.

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So is the timeline for this movie a continuation of the last one. or is this more of another prequel from what I can the original. 1977.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your view on age appropriate for a child? somewhat mature 7-8year old ok who has seen Force Awakens just fine or is this too much?
Quote Reply
Re: Rogue One, a brief review, no spoilers. [Garry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garry wrote:
So is the timeline for this movie a continuation of the last one. or is this more of another prequel from what I can the original. 1977.

This one takes place before the original star wars. Its about the plans to steal the death star blueprints.

Quote Reply
Re: Rogue One, a brief review, no spoilers. [ilikepizza] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilikepizza wrote:
What is your view on age appropriate for a child? somewhat mature 7-8year old ok who has seen Force Awakens just fine or is this too much?

My son is 7, he saw it. There is more death than the force awakens, but not bloody death.

Quote Reply
Re: Rogue One, a brief review, no spoilers. [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three of the aliens working on Jabba’s sail barge are named Klaatu, Barada and Nikto, a reference to the robot-foiling codewords in The Day The Earth Stood Still.
---

Really? I thought those were the words that Ash was supposed to use to get back to his own time safely but messed them up. So the necronomicon sent another witch back to hunt him down at the S-Mart. Hail to the King, Baby!

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Garry wrote:

This one takes place before the original star wars. Its about the plans to steal the death star blueprints.

got it..
thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm taking my son tomorrow. He's pumped. I'm not sure what he's more excited about -- the movie itself or the unlimited popcorn with waiter service at the theatre. He was mind blown after we saw Force Awakens together, which only fueled his excitement to get more into Star Wars, so I'm pumped to see how he likes it. I'd be just as content going to see Manchester By the Sea since that's more my style, but I am excited to share this experience with him.

veganerd wrote:
Just saw it and loved it! Great carachters, and fantastic storyline. It couldnt have ended any other way and i liked that. Its a hero arc, but not the usual star wars universe story.There is a throwaway line in episode IV that i have a better appreciation for now.

Many easter eggs and background carachter cameos in this.

The best part of the whole experience was seeing my sons face light up at some of the cameos. We had a wonderful time rehashing it on the drive home!
Quote Reply
Re: Rogue One, a brief review, no spoilers. [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me and my boy are going tomorrow as well. Same thing excitement with the popcorn, though I think I get more up for that than he does. Just something satisfying about eating that much movie popcorn.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to say, I was slightly disappointed. I didn't think the characters were all that special, and one or two were pretty ridiculous. The self-referential stuff is fine, but can come off as kind of a gimmick. Maybe I'll do a full review, but overall, I wasn't overly impressed, especially with some of the effects work.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't think I'm going to waste my time seeing this movie. Just so we don't spoil it for others, do you mind PMing me the answer to this: Do they get the plans to the Death Star? /pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just back from seeing it with my son (9yo) and a bunch of his classmates.

Pro tip: Don't go see it early if you don't want to hear kids comment on every cool thing that happens. I gave up trying to shush the lot of them...

Fewer scary bits (for said 9yo) than 'The Force Awakens'. Only one monster in a cell (name escapes me for the moment... )
Quote Reply
Re: Rogue One, a brief review, no spoilers. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
I have to say, I was slightly disappointed. I didn't think the characters were all that special, and one or two were pretty ridiculous. The self-referential stuff is fine, but can come off as kind of a gimmick. Maybe I'll do a full review, but overall, I wasn't overly impressed, especially with some of the effects work.

If you do a full review may I ask a few questions for this thread or yours?
1. Do they give the plans to Princess Leia?
2. If not, do they even reference her in any way?
Quote Reply
Re: Rogue One, a brief review, no spoilers. [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
slowguy wrote:

If you do a full review may I ask a few questions for this thread or yours?
1. Do they give the plans to Princess Leia?
2. If not, do they even reference her in any way?

That answer would be be a spoiler either way. I can send you a pm if you want to know

Quote Reply