Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: College football cheating scandal [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
Pretty sure this is going to be the most ridiculous thing I'll read all day. In the corporate world this is simply referred to as a competitive advantage. No one would get fired. In fact, there are people who make their living doing exactly this and it isn't exactly discouraged.

I don't know what corporate world you live in, but in mine they require that you undergo yearly training on corporate ethics, and this is one thing that is *explicitly* called out as unethical.

Sure, that is what is preached. In reality, that is not what happens. How many people do you think get fired as a result of the thousands of of anti-trust lawsuits that are filed every year?
Quote Reply
Re: College football cheating scandal [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But coach is a pos
Quote Reply
Re: College football cheating scandal [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gotsand wrote:
I don't follow college football, so I don't know the backgrounds of these people.

You're really missing out. (L-Ville's HC) Bobby Pertino's background story is a comedic goldmine.

THIS ^

Patrino's life story is fucked up. Anyone remember, he coached Louisville several years back. Left there for the Dirty Birds (ATL Falcons) and LEFT that team before the season ended! Let me repeat...Left the ATL Dirty Birds, an NFL high paying job, before the season ended, and vanished. He later landed on his feet at Arkansas, after the razor backs ran their (once great) coach out of town. Oh...and he did not get in a moto accident. The volleyball player's boyfriend beat the LIVING SHIT out of him (Dirty Harry Reid style). This guy is a piece of work. And to think my beloved Vols were considering him before their current hire.

Oh...and he won't get fired for this. NCAA has much bigger fish the fry. Hell the entire UNC athletic department scandal left them untouched.

<rant off> but fuck the NCAA

ETA...lol for shits and giggles look up the SHIT that Louisville's basketball coach does. Hookers and blow...hookers and blow. Patrino and Patino. Why can't my Italian Brothers keep their shit together.
Last edited by: satchmo: Dec 15, 16 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: College football cheating scandal [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
Pretty sure this is going to be the most ridiculous thing I'll read all day. In the corporate world this is simply referred to as a competitive advantage. No one would get fired. In fact, there are people who make their living doing exactly this and it isn't exactly discouraged.

Thanks. But you'll be rebutted by the puritans of the LR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
So the Wake Forest radio announcer (who played at Wake, and also coached at Wake) gave information from the Wake playbook to a Louisville coach. Announcer was fired.

http://www.nytimes.com/...uncer-game-plan.html

Why wasn't the Louisville coach fired? Apparently, this occurred on multiple occasions over multiple years (not just with Louisville), yet nobody reported this to the ACC or their respective ADs?

What a wonderful culture we have developed in college football.

What was the motivation for the Wake guy to do this? Did he get money from Lville?
Quote Reply
Re: College football cheating scandal [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
klehner wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

I don't know what corporate world you live in, but in mine they require that you undergo yearly training on corporate ethics, and this is one thing that is *explicitly* called out as unethical.

Sure, that is what is preached. In reality, that is not what happens. How many people do you think get fired as a result of the thousands of of anti-trust lawsuits that are filed every year?

It is what I would do. Not sure what your question has to do with this topic, though.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: College football cheating scandal [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
klehner wrote:
So the Wake Forest radio announcer (who played at Wake, and also coached at Wake) gave information from the Wake playbook to a Louisville coach. Announcer was fired.

Why wasn't the Louisville coach fired? Apparently, this occurred on multiple occasions over multiple years (not just with Louisville), yet nobody reported this to the ACC or their respective ADs?

What was the motivation for the Wake guy to do this? Did he get money from Lville?

He used to be an asst. coach, and wasn't retained when they got a new head coach, so basically he was just pissed off.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
klehner wrote:

The sports talk guy yesterday (where I first heard about this) was speculating that it has to do with sports betting: get in deep with a bookie, then the bookie suggests this as a way to get square. Potentially messes up the betting line in a meaningless game, and the bookie can benefit. He couldn't see this as a meaningful income source for the Wake guy, nor as meaningful retribution for being let go as a coach (hell, he was still involved in WF football).

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
klehner wrote:

The sports talk guy yesterday (where I first heard about this) was speculating that it has to do with sports betting: get in deep with a bookie, then the bookie suggests this as a way to get square. Potentially messes up the betting line in a meaningless game, and the bookie can benefit. He couldn't see this as a meaningful income source for the Wake guy, nor as meaningful retribution for being let go as a coach (hell, he was still involved in WF football).

Wow. Amazing the shit people get themselves into. If money was exchanged could there be charges of some kind?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Why does there have to be an NCAA rule for unethical behavior? His behavior is just like a fence who received stolen goods.

It's just sad that such behavior is condoned if it benefits the organization.

Ken, I agree completely with the sentiments you have expressed.

Further, I'll add that this is occurring at an academic institution that is supposed to be shaping our young people into good citizens. Should not be tolerated.

In perspective, the whole NFL deflate-gate thing looks overblown.

In time we may see some ramifications at Louisville. However, their basketball coach hasn't been a saint either.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
windywave wrote:
klehner wrote:
slowguy wrote:
klehner wrote:

Looks to me like they're just starting to peel the onion on this. As soon as it was discovered by WF, they fired the turncoat announcer. It probably takes a bit longer to subsequently figure out which coaches took the info. Petrine, at Louisville, is a known liar. I'm not sure this would be something that gets him fired, given his already checkered history. Add to that, he just had his QB win the Heismann, and he wins a bunch of games every year, and he gets players into the NFL, and I suspect that's why he hasn't been fired already. Lots of coaches have been caught for much bigger violations and been sanctioned, fined, etc but not fired.

Quote:
Louisville Coach Bobby Petrino has said he had no knowledge of the situation, and the team spokesman Rocco Gasparro said in a statement after the Louisville investigation was completed that Petrino had no comment “in what appears to be a Wake Forest issue.â€

The offensive coordinator at Louisville received illicit material about Wake Forest, passed it on to his staff, and it is "a Wake Forest issue"? At any large corporation, such action would be grounds for immediate termination of that coordinator, and serious sanctions for the staff (perhaps termination if they failed to notify authorities). I guess I go by different ethical standards: if I were to receive, say, insider technical plans for Verizon (I work at AT&T) and I didn't turn them over to Legal immediately, I'd be canned in short order if/when it became known.

I don't follow college football, so I don't know the backgrounds of these people.

So the illicit material was some special plays they didn't run and basic stuff anyone breaking down film could see. Did they act in on the inoformation? What are you punishing Louisville for? Someone gave them information that may born may not be accurate. Here's an analogous situation: you get nonpublic material information on a company. There's nothing wrong with receiving it and you have no obligation to report it. The infraction only occurs when you trade on it.

Character is what you do when nobody is watching. In your analogous situation assuming a corporate environment, I immediately contact our Legal department and give that material to them, along with any information I have on its origin. I *don't* share that material information with my colleagues or anyone else. Period. I *do* have an obligation to report it. It is indeed an infraction if I don't. In a personal situation, I can toss it in the trash, but that would violate my sense of ethics if I felt that the information was provided deliberately (as is the case with Louisville). I suggest that this situation mirrors my corporate setting rather than my personal setting.

Continue with your analogy: the information is planted, and I do nothing. My company can be accused of receiving nonpublic information and acting on it, even if no action is taken. It is totally irrelevant whether my company actually benefitted from it. To use the defense "well, Wake Forest didn't actually run any of those plays" is utterly stupid. Did you plan any defense for those plays?

We just had a round of phishing emails, and there were some who clicked on the embedded links and went to a internal Security web site that essentially said "Tsk, tsk". The correct response was to report the email to Security (which I did).

Why is this even a debate?

By definition one must benefit from the material nonpublic information to be convicted of insider trading. If you came up to me and said "Hey Windy AT&T is buying Yahoo tomorrow" and I do nothing, I'm guilty of something? I think not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
windywave wrote:
klehner wrote:
His behavior is just like a fence who received stolen goods.

No it is not

Well, I'm convinced. Hard to argue with that logic.

It is if you have a basic understanding the law.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
klehner wrote:

Nope, the new coach didn't keep him on as an assistant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
klehner wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
klehner wrote:

Wow. Amazing the shit people get themselves into. If money was exchanged could there be charges of some kind?

Against the radio guy maybe, but not the Louisville guys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
klehner wrote:
johnnybefit wrote:
klehner wrote:

Just speculation.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
klehner wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:

It is what I would do. Not sure what your question has to do with this topic, though.

Pretty simple really. You insinuated some people at Louisville are not innocent and should be fired. I am arguing why they won't be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have the rest of the day free, google "university of Louisville scandal". Besides the shit on Petrino, the bball team paid hookers to screw recruits in university dorm named for Pitino's brother,in law. Pitino also was in hot water for knocking up a batshit crazy ho after hours in a booth at an upscale restaurant while his university paid driver sat around and listened. She is currently incarcerated for blackmailing him threatening to expose the abortion he allegedly paid for. The university is currently on probation with its accreditation because of the shady dealings between the board and the schools foundation because the just ousted president had almost complete control over both. The old board was dysfunctional and so the governor abolished it, probably without authority, triggering the accreditation issues. There have been many scandals relating to dept heads and money disappearing. The state auditor just issued a scathing report on oversight issues.

So, ethical conduct is in short supply at Uof L at the moment and it goes all the way to the top.
Last edited by: bluemonkeytri: Dec 16, 16 5:37
Quote Reply
Re: College football cheating scandal [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
Pitino also was in hot water for knocking up a batshit crazy ho after hours in a booth at an upscale restaurant while his university paid driver sat around and listened. She is currently incarcerated for blackmailing him thrratening to expose the abortion he allegedly paid for.

Your post reminds me of the joke that was going around L'ville when all this was in the local news...

Q: Have you heard about the new menu item at Porcinis?
A: It's aging red snapper stuffed with Italian sausage.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Last edited by: TriHard Indiana: Dec 16, 16 5:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
if I were to receive, say, insider technical plans for Verizon (I work at AT&T) and I didn't turn them over to Legal immediately, I'd be canned in short order if/when it became known.

Just means your not at the right level.

Corp. spend millions to protect their secrets from getting stolen. Why cause companies use stolen information all the times. In the above scenerio you would be in trouble cause they want to make sure they have plausible deniability.

I laugh when my corporation rolls out its employee conduct policy ... you can not take gifts, you can not receive tickets go to events sponsored by suppliers, can not take food from suppliers etc..

Then hear about the corporate suite at the local sports venue. Hmmm why do we have that?

Seems the corporation thinks so much of its employees it thinks we will do something for a doughnut, but other companies are not enticed by free tickets to sporting events etc...

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Virginia Tech has now acknowledged they go the info too.

I'm curious is this goes teh gambling route or if it really does come down to being pissed about not being retained. It is not uncommon at all for coaches to not be retained when a new coach comes in. Seems like kind of an extreme reaction.

I'm not surprised that some people approached with the info didn't come forward. But I am surprised that no one gave the coach a call to give him some sort of heads up and that they had to come across cards themselves with the info on it.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next