Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weight in the Bed of a Pickup for Driving in Snow?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone put weight in their pickup truck bed before driving in snow? I just picked up (pun intended) a late model 4x4 Toyota Tacoma, and am trying to learn from others as to their experiences. Thanks!

War is god
Quote Reply
Re: Weight in the Bed of a Pickup for Driving in Snow? [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
Does anyone put weight in their pickup truck bed before driving in snow? I just picked up (pun intended) a late model 4x4 Toyota Tacoma, and am trying to learn from others as to their experiences. Thanks!

I used to do this with my Tacoma. Usually would go and pick up a few sandbags are garden rock bags at the HD.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, they sell cheap sandbags just for that at the tire/wheel shop along w/ chains & studded tires, or you can just grab whatever cheap/heavy crap you have lying around like cinder blocks or whatnot (helps if you have a good bedliner so you don't worry about banging around too much0. Or, simply shovel a bunch of snow in, and it'll melt out as you go (obviously not a good idea if it gets parked inside the garage).
Quote Reply
Re: Weight in the Bed of a Pickup for Driving in Snow? [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Used to do this in my Tacoma, it was a great truck in the snow anyways so some years I didn't bother. It was 4WD though and a stick so if it was slippery I just put in 4wd.

I now have a F350 and the challenge is with a diesel there is so much torque that you barely step on the gas pedal and can spin. The traction control is excellent in the truck and if slippery I just put it in 4wd. Helps the truck is almost 6K lbs.

I would say for your Toyota a few sand bags wouldn't hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I lived in the midworst, I did. 200 to 300 pounds of something, sand, dead bodies (if it stays below freezing), scrap metal.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.. get whatever is cheapest to you and that would work to toss on the ground if you need some traction, sand/dirt/kitty litter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd throw a few sand bags into the bed of my Tacoma back when I had one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in WI we keep our frozen dead relatives in back till ground thaws so we can bury them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tacoma owner here, I haven't added anything to the bed a quick flip into 4wd works for me. If Were heading into the mountains then I certainly will add weight.

I'm actually thinking of adding a cap, they weigh about 250 pounds I believe.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Former Tacoma owner here. Never needed weight in the back. If it snowed, the weight of snow in the bed helped, and if it wouldn't, I would just put it in 4x4 and never had a problem, even in some pretty deep snow. I also had mud and snow tires, which helped a lot. It's amazing what those little trucks can handle.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Silverado 4WD and I usually throw something back there. I'm not sure I need it with 4WD but my dad always made me do it as a kid, so it's probably a carryover thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Former Tacoma owner here - 2WD and 6 speed manual. I put 4 70# bags of tube sand above the rear axle. The difference was noticeable - and in the spring, i could use the sand to re-level sunken areas of stonework around the house.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply