Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Time For New Snow/Winter Tires [coecoe13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coecoe13 wrote:
Tire manufacturers say to run the best set in the rear no matter front or rear wheel drive.

+1 on that! Sounds counter-intuitive at first, but the rear wheels are what keeps your car in line (there are some videos on youtube demonstrating that). When they lose contact, you're screwed.

Cheers,
malte
Quote Reply
Re: Time For New Snow/Winter Tires [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Time For New Snow/Winter Tires [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
We've been big fans of the General Altimax Arctic tires for our cars. We've been through a couple of snow/winter tire cycles. They seem to be the Gold-Standard for the mid-priced value oriented snow/winter tire. These tires have got both our cars through some crazy winter storms and conditions.

Where we buy our tires - they have recommended the Kumho I'Zen KW31 as a suggested alternative. They are slightly less than the General's. Because they are a new tire, released last year, online consumer reviews are limited.

Long - shot but looking for some feedback if anyone has any.

Since everybody seems to be recommending their favorite winter tire rather than answering your question, I'll help you out with this.

Winter Tires 2016: Best Car Winter Tires in Canada - Review - RateLab.ca

Granted it is just one and it is a website related to the insurance industry but the tire you mention is up there on the list with other favorites mentioned in the thread.

Edit: found this from a owner on another forum:

"Well, we've gotten plenty of snow around here the last few days, so I've had a chance to see how these do.
In my non-professional opinion, they're just as good as the General Altimax Arctics I've used in the past, and maybe a little bit better. No problem plowing through 3-4 inches of powder. They go good, stop good, and turn good!"

A false humanity is used to impose its opposite, by people whose cruelty is equalled only by their arrogance
Last edited by: Chri55: Dec 13, 16 6:06
Quote Reply
Re: Time For New Snow/Winter Tires [Chri55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my non-professional opinion, they're just as good as the General Altimax Arctics I've used in the past, and maybe a little bit better. No problem plowing through 3-4 inches of powder. They go good, stop good, and turn good!"

Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Very helpful. My wife's car is in getting a set of four of the Kumho's installed as I write this. The place where we get our tires, gave the same rating - if you liked the Altimax Arctics, then the new I'zen KW31's will more than meet your expectations and possibly surpass them.

I should get another winter out of the set of Altimax Arctics that are on my car, and next year, I'll go for a set of the Kumho's.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Very helpful. My wife's car is in getting a set of four of the Kumho's installed as I write this. The place where we get our tires, gave the same rating - if you liked the Altimax Arctics, then the new I'zen KW31's will more than meet your expectations and possibly surpass them.

I should get another winter out of the set of Altimax Arctics that are on my car, and next year, I'll go for a set of the Kumho's.

If you're interested in buying a US/Canada product go with goodyear. We buy the Ultra Grip Ice wrt for our ford escapes, on a rim, installed for $1000. I change them out each year for the summer tires to save the $50. All you need is a torque wrench and jack, and we all have one of those. 4years on our first pair and still the same tread depth, accident free and we have some difficult winter conditions up here (northern Ontario).

Tire prices range from $800-1500 up here, on a rim, and it seems that depending on which shop/garage you go to, they have they're favourite brands.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Team Off Constantly
Quote Reply
Re: Time For New Snow/Winter Tires [aironagstring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aironagstring wrote:
Fleck wrote:

If you're interested in buying a US/Canada product go with goodyear. We buy the Ultra Grip Ice wrt for our ford escapes, on a rim, installed for $1000. I change them out each year for the summer tires to save the $50. All you need is a torque wrench and jack, and we all have one of those. 4years on our first pair and still the same tread depth, accident free and we have some difficult winter conditions up here (northern Ontario).

Tire prices range from $800-1500 up here, on a rim, and it seems that depending on which shop/garage you go to, they have they're favourite brands.

Hmm ... The Goodyear UltraGrip were at the bottom of my list. Probably very application dependent, but on a mid-sized SUV they didn't perform near as well as Blizzaks or X-Ice.

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Time For New Snow/Winter Tires [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
aironagstring wrote:
Fleck wrote:

Hmm ... The Goodyear UltraGrip were at the bottom of my list. Probably very application dependent, but on a mid-sized SUV they didn't perform near as well as Blizzaks or X-Ice.

drn92

Do you race on tubulars or clinchers? What psi do you run them at? Just having fun bro:)

Team Off Constantly
Quote Reply
Re: Time For New Snow/Winter Tires [aironagstring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are way past my bike tire knowledge base!!!

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Time For New Snow/Winter Tires [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
You are way past my bike tire knowledge base!!!

drn92

Seriously I'm just having fun with the whole what is the best tire theme. When I was choosing bicycle race tires I went through lists, read the slowtwitch suggestions and went from there. Ordered some online and bought some locally. I was never disappointed.

With snow tires I looked at some of the Best Of lists and it seemed like the differences depended on who did the testing, what tires were actually tested and of course under what conditions. The top tens differ by quite a lot, again I think it depends on who does the testing, or what tire do they really want to sell and make the most mark-up on. All I can really say is we've been happy with our tires, and we live in a northern climate. But I haven't personally used any other tires than goodyear.

Team Off Constantly
Quote Reply
Re: Time For New Snow/Winter Tires [coecoe13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coecoe13 wrote:
Tire manufacturers say to run the best set in the rear no matter front or rear wheel drive.

For me, nothing beats the Hakkapeliitta r2.

Ditto the Hakka's. I've got a set on a RWD M5 and it is better than 4x4 on ice & snow so far. Really soft compound--night & day difference in ride quality on bare streets too.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Time For New Snow/Winter Tires [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ringmaster wrote:
J-No wrote:
Do you guys have an extra set of wheels, or do you swap tires in the fall/spring?

I have a separate set of wheels for both my vehicles for snow tires and just swap them in my garage. Only takes about 30 minutes, I don't have to make an appointment at the shop (at the same time as everyone else), and I can put them on/take them off the day before I want them.

Same here. Plus our winters aren't so severe normally to warrant leaving them on all season and chewing up our bare driveway most of the time, so I can just swap them on/off as the forecast/conditions call for it. They'll also last for pretty much the life of the vehicle at this rate. The savings from not paying a shop to do it will pay for a nice floor jack in about 2 changeovers. The first time was a bit of a grunt, but since I've done it a few times now and added an impact driver to my tool arsenal, it's down to only a 2-beer job (or just 1 if I'm in a hurry, but I prefer to enjoy the 2nd beer while I'm at it because I don't want to make it look too easy and thus not win as many pts w/ the wife ~ this is one of those scenarios where the 2nd beer is actually to my advantage...).
Last edited by: OneGoodLeg: Dec 13, 16 14:16
Quote Reply
Re: Time For New Snow/Winter Tires [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ditto the Hakka's. I've got a set on a RWD M5 and it is better than 4x4 on ice & snow so far. Really soft compound--night & day difference in ride quality on bare streets too.

No question the Hakka's are the gold-standard.

If I lived in an area where there was a really serious long winter and I had to drive everyday in it, I would consider the Hakka's.

The reality is in the Toronto area. Winter driving is probably 75% on snow-free roads. But then when you need the snow/winter tires you really need them!

Last edited by: Fleck: Dec 20, 16 15:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had the new Kumho I'Zen KW31's installed on my wife's car (Honda Fit). For a snow/winter tire they are VERY quiet and smooth on dry pavement. That was my one complaint about the General Altimax Arctic's - when new on dry pavement they were a bit squirrely and somewhat noisy.

In snow they perform I would say the same as the Altimax Arctics. Very good grip and stability.

Our local tire shop seemed to be pushing them ( The Kumhos). I trust these guys and they gave us an awesome price on them. Happy.

Quote Reply

Prev Next