Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: are deplorables a thing? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
They do exist, and they share the characteristi of being ...deplorable.

There are deplorable people. The kind of people I would bucket as deplorable - those that find sick joy in hurting others or animals. The men who dragged James Byrd behind their truck until he died, the redneck who tried to run my cycling buddies over (fortunately he's in prison now), the ass hat teens who, if proven guilty, started the forest fires in Tennesse, ...

But calling your average racist, gun toting, womanizing, white dude deplorable isn't necessarily fair. If that average racist, gun toting, womanizing, white dude goes out and sexually harasses a minority for jollies followed by shooting her? Yeah, that's deplorable. But you can't convict thought crimes. Were not that Orwellian, at least not yet.[/quote]

Your post makes it easy to call out anyone who is different than oneself. Well, kind like how Mrs. Clinton did.[/quote]
No. My post states one is deplorable if physical harm is done. A racist isn't necessarily deplorable. A racist who kills a selected race, however, is. We should not prosecute thought crime.[/quote]

Really? It isn't deplorable to be a racist, in your opinion? So racism is not something that you strongly disapprove of?

Prosecution doesn't have anything to do with whether something is deplorable or not.[/quote]Personally I find it distateful and ignorant, but does it cross the line to inexcusable? Is Russian nationalism deplorable? Or is taking Russian nationalism to the extreme of invading a sovereign nation and killing/naming innocent civilians deplorable? Or is Russian nationalism deplorable but American nationalism is OK?
Quote Reply
Re: are deplorables a thing? [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
slowguy wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
tigermilk wrote:
They do exist, and they share the characteristi of being ...deplorable.

There are deplorable people. The kind of people I would bucket as deplorable - those that find sick joy in hurting others or animals. The men who dragged James Byrd behind their truck until he died, the redneck who tried to run my cycling buddies over (fortunately he's in prison now), the ass hat teens who, if proven guilty, started the forest fires in Tennesse, ...

But calling your average racist, gun toting, womanizing, white dude deplorable isn't necessarily fair. If that average racist, gun toting, womanizing, white dude goes out and sexually harasses a minority for jollies followed by shooting her? Yeah, that's deplorable. But you can't convict thought crimes. Were not that Orwellian, at least not yet.

Your post makes it easy to call out anyone who is different than oneself. Well, kind like how Mrs. Clinton did.

No. My post states one is deplorable if physical harm is done. A racist isn't necessarily deplorable. A racist who kills a selected race, however, is. We should not prosecute thought crime.

Really? It isn't deplorable to be a racist, in your opinion? So racism is not something that you strongly disapprove of?

Prosecution doesn't have anything to do with whether something is deplorable or not.

Personally I find it distateful and ignorant, but does it cross the line to inexcusable? Is Russian nationalism deplorable? Or is taking Russian nationalism to the extreme of invading a sovereign nation and killing/naming innocent civilians deplorable? Or is Russian nationalism deplorable but American nationalism is OK?

To deplore something is to strongly disapprove of it, to find it unacceptable, to take exception to it. I don't personally find nationalism deplorable in and of itself, but someone else might. Or nationalism might become deplorable if taken to extremes. It's certainly subjective. However, I find it odd that someone (Old Hickory in this instance) would argue that racism is not deplorable unless the racist commits an actual physical assault. I'm also trying to connect the dots between something being deplorable and prosecuting thought crimes, based on his post.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: are deplorables a thing? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Venn Diagram:

Racist is a subset of what is deplorable, which means racists can be deplorable without being synonymous with the word.

I never liked chicks who used diaphragms. The flexible ring hurt my weaner everytime I bottomed out.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next