Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Paging LT83 and other tri tip lovers. [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skirt steak is wonderful. The only place I can find it is at the local carniceria.

Re: Paging LT83 and other tri tip lovers. [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
Skirt steak is wonderful. The only place I can find it is at the local carniceria.

Yeah those damn Mexicans seem to buy it all up. Weirdly although nobody seems to use it here, it can be quite pricey. When I bought it commercially, the price was only slightly less than tenderloin. Especially for inside skirt, which tends to be smaller and less fibrous.

I think the last time I bought in bulk, inside was about $10 a kg more than outside. Well worth it.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
last tri in 83 wrote:

Yeah those damn Mexicans seem to buy it all up. Weirdly although nobody seems to use it here, it can be quite pricey. When I bought it commercially, the price was only slightly less than tenderloin. Especially for inside skirt, which tends to be smaller and less fibrous.

I think the last time I bought in bulk, inside was about $10 a kg more than outside. Well worth it.

Wow. Yore getting ripped off.

I can get skirt steak at a local carniceria by the pound for under $2.00/lbs.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Paging LT83 and other tri tip lovers. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A tip of the hat to Kikkoman's Garlic and Green Onion marinade. Used it yesterday with a little red pepper flakes for some mild heat. Cooked it over apple wood. Outstanding. I usually make my own marinades but this is a good over the counter option.

Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Flat Iron and skirt are not similar at all.

Flat irons are a little strange in that you end up cooking them against the grain unlike something like a strip loin or a tenderloin. You wind up having to cook them longer because heat doesn't penetrate it easily inside the fibers. When I put a flat iron on my menu I would almost always let it rest and then slice and serve much like you did. The reason is that I want people to be able to eat it and they would not know how to properly cut it weirdly. Most restaurants will serve a flat are sliced and fan.

And skirt steak bears no resemblance to that. For the most part if you see a skirt steak you would not think it looks appealing. It looks fibrous and fed. And if in properly prepared it can be tough. But boy when you do it right it is fucking awesome.

Explain this? Did you mean cut it against the grain?
Quote Reply
Re: Paging LT83 and other tri tip lovers. [last tri in 83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
last tri in 83 wrote:
A tip of the hat to Kikkoman's Garlic and Green Onion marinade. Used it yesterday with a little red pepper flakes for some mild heat. Cooked it over apple wood. Outstanding. I usually make my own marinades but this is a good over the counter option.

I'll second that and I'll have to get my wife's pepper marinade which is awesome. I should also say the grill master has first dips on the ends. I eat them before I do anything else. Magnificent.
Quote Reply
Re: Paging LT83 and other tri tip lovers. [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
It most certainly is a CA cut

Why is that? Immigrant influence?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a South American style way to do it. I've probably cooked a few dozen over the years...

1.) Start with the tri tip whole. Hopefully the fat has not been trimmed off.
2.) Coat with coarse salt. (I like to use garlic parmesan salt.)
3.) Sear the hell out of the whole thing. I've had three foot flames coming off the grill when the fat really starts rendering.
4.) No need to sear the non-fat side as much as the fat side. The meat will still be totally raw in the middle.
5.) Remove meat, cut meat thinly across the grain.
6.) Season the individual slices.
7.) Flash grill the individual thin slices on the grill -- very quickly so that you maintain medium rare meat quality. 30sec/30sec or less depending on grill heat and slice thickness.

Bottom line is that you've got great seasoned, thinly sliced, medium rare tri tip, with grilling all over.

As Kosmo Kramer once said..."there's nowhere for the flavor to hide".
Last edited by: SH: Dec 12, 16 14:26
Quote Reply
Re: Paging LT83 and other tri tip lovers. [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
Duffy wrote:
It most certainly is a CA cut

Why is that? Immigrant influence?

Because it ruins three other (pricier) cuts when made. We have so many fucking cows in CA that we can do that (so I was told).

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
History of Santa Maria style BBQ

Prev Next