Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Kickr accuracy problem solved (n=1 and I think?) [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Well I f'ing forgot to do the firmware upgrade before the FTP test this morning. Guess I'll blame that on getting up at 4am.

5min - Quarq 350w / Kickr 329w
20min - Quarq 308w / Kickr 289w

I think I'm just going to de-pair my trainerroad account from training peaks and strava and use my garmin & the quarq to record all of my rides so I can have one FTP for data records and a separate one to use for trainerroad & the kickr to control the trainer workouts.

I take it that you are not using the power meter to control TrainerRoad (Power Match)? If you do it records and uploads the power meter data.

I have my Quarq controlling the Kickr Gen1 using either TrainerRoad or PerfPro. I have done plenty of comparisons just to check and feel comfortable that the data recorded to TR or PP is coming from the Quarq and Quarq recorded to a Garmin Edge is within a watt.

My session last night using PerfPro showed the same 15 watt difference that it always has and that was after the Kickr firmware update and a PerfPro update. PerfPro records both the trainer wattage and the power meter wattage, but the power meter data is what is uploaded from PerfPro to Strava. This has been the same for TrainerRoad recording the power meter data and sending it on to Strava. The latest firmware update did not seem to help or hurt in my N=1.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr accuracy problem solved (n=1 and I think?) [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a Gen 1 Kickr controlled through the Kickr firmware by a SRM. It has generally worked very well. After updating the firmware last night, there did seem to be much less cycling around the target power than I'd seen with the previous firmware -- the SRM reported power was much closer to target more of the time. With the old firmware, SRM reported power would vary plus minus maybe 5 watts to target in an s-wave cycle, above, below, above below... That seems mostly gone now, on the basis of one ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr accuracy problem solved (n=1 and I think?) [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So for big swings in power you don't have issues with the quarq being the power meter source? (overshooting massivly and taking a while to settle in) that's why I didn't want to do that, at least for VO2 intervals. and for simplicity I'd rather just do the same thing every time so I don't have to think about it.

if you don't have issues I'll give it a shot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
So for big swings in power you don't have issues with the quarq being the power meter source? (overshooting massivly and taking a while to settle in) that's why I didn't want to do that, at least for VO2 intervals. and for simplicity I'd rather just do the same thing every time so I don't have to think about it.

if you don't have issues I'll give it a shot.

I still get the overshooting and it takes a few seconds to settle in even with the power meter in control. Some of this is being solved in the applications. I believe Perfpro has improved this somewhat and there was a mention of an improvement to response time with intensity changes. I was recording everything to the Garmin and using that for all the uploads, but after a period of time I felt that the data recorded by TrainerRoad or PerfPro from the power meter was pretty good and could trust it.

Yeah, just give it a try and continue to use your Garmin to record the power meter just as a backup until you feel like you can trust the data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's right, I have both the SRM and Kickr linked in TrainerRoad. TrainerRoad uses the SRM as source for recorded data and controls the Kickr.. Even before yesterday's firmware update, recorded power and target power withing two or so watts.

I do have the SRM controlling the Kickr in the Kickr firmware. Seemed to work a little better than through TrainerRoad and it works for the times I'm on the Kickr not using TrainerRoad.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr accuracy problem solved (n=1 and I think?) [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PSJoyce wrote:
That's right, I have both the SRM and Kickr linked in TrainerRoad. TrainerRoad uses the SRM as source for recorded data and controls the Kickr.. Even before yesterday's firmware update, recorded power and target power withing two or so watts.

I do have the SRM controlling the Kickr in the Kickr firmware. Seemed to work a little better than through TrainerRoad and it works for the times I'm on the Kickr not using TrainerRoad.

Like PSJoyce, I should also clarify that I have the power meter control through the Kickr firmware so in my case it works regardless of the setting in the applications. Although I do have the option to use power meter also selected in the applications.
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr accuracy problem solved (n=1 and I think?) [al-gorithm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I tested the new firmware against the P1 pedals .... the result imho is very good .....

Blue - KICKR
Pink - P1 (smooth 8s)

As you can see the kickr reads a little lower (about 3/4 watts) than the P1. At the end of the exercise (ERG mode in TRAINERROAD) KICKR 207 NP and P1 204 NP ... for me close enough ...

The protocol I followed after updating the firmware version is to warm up for 15/20' and then do an advanced spindow, which gave me a brake factor of 1.14. What I see important is not having more than one application open at the same time (WAHOO FITNESS, TR, ZWIFT ...), since I have verified that this causes problems with the kickr .... overall very happy ...
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr accuracy problem solved (n=1 and I think?) [CARLOSCB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice chart! Do you have one from before the update?
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr accuracy problem solved (n=1 and I think?) [microspawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have mainly been running the KickR as power meeter indoor during my TR sessions because I find the Powermatch a bit to slow and jumpy.

How much better does the firmware "mapping" of KickR + Power meeter work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what program did you use to merge the two data sets?

I tried using the quarq as the power meter through the kickr software this morning. Garmin was reporting 20w less than the trainer road app this way. Then I went in trainer road and said to use the quarq as the power source in there and it worked much better. Still 3-4 watts off on relatively long intervals though(12-15 min).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Before the update the kickr always read about 15/20 watts above the P1.

The program is GOLDEN CHEETAH...

The problem with the powermatch in TRAINEROAD is that it is not too stable and is very jumpy (the software applies an offset between the powermeter and the kickr). I really prefer it is KICKR who controls the power in TRAINEROAD.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last test comparing KICKR against P1.

KICKR - PINK - 199NP
P1 - BLUE - 201NP

Very happy with the new firmware....

At last I can rely on the power data of the KICKR, without needing to use the powermatch.... Good job Wahoo!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, first trainer ride since last week. I went into the wahoo app and made sure it was using the quarq for the power meter. Then I killed the wahoo app and opened trainer road. I went in and turned off power match in trainer road.

Result was pretty damn good agreement between my garmin and trainerroad app. I'm happy.

One question. For the quarq I always calibrate it on my garmin prior to a ride. Does trainer road or the kickr do that automatically every ride? Do I need to be unclipped before opening the app? I assume I don't need to do a spindown anymore by using the quarq, or will this manually calibrate the quarq?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Kickr accuracy problem solved (n=1 and I think?) [SBMelb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully it is ok to revive this thread - I am trying to keep a public record of my efforts in the hope it is helpful to others.

After a long period of trusting the gen2 firmware, I started to wonder if the kickr had remained accurate and how it coped with the temperature changes inherent in interval training. In summary, I found that it was still much the same for steady state work (the only thing I tested last time), but it drifted badly over the course of an interval session.

I have attached an image of the dcr comparitor tool for the p2m and kickr files. The spindowns are easily seen in the file. The first interval (post spindown) is accurate, and then it proceeds to drift very badly, but came back into line with the last spindown.

Clearly this is not conducive to effective intervals. I plan to try the strain gauge again - the dcr tool makes it easier to assess the data and I might find a way forward.

I would be very interested to know if the 'kickr 2' copes better with this sort of session (ie does the claimed better temperature compensation give better results?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBMelb wrote:

I have attached an image of the dcr comparitor tool for the p2m and kickr files. The spindowns are easily seen in the file. The first interval (post spindown) is accurate, and then it proceeds to drift very badly, but came back into line with the last spindown.

It's hard to imagine any power measuring trainer system that has rubber components that warm up with use will maintain its calibration if those components change their temperature after the system has been calibrated. This is something we've seen with Computrainers since they very first came out. Just do a roll down immediately at the end of a high wattage interval and then again after a short low wattage break before the next work interval. There will be a huge change in the press on force. It's hard not to imagine the same sort of thing happening with the Kickr's belt as well with changes in the intensity of work being done.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I trialled the strain gauge today - a different interval pattern, but it should still have presented the kickr with some challenging conditions.

The results were excellent.

I dont know why it worked so much better than my previous attempts (with the strain gauge). Possibly the latest firmware beta (1.5.67 I think) provides better accuracy than earlier versions, or the new power2max NG reads a bit higher than the 'S' model that I used previously (I can test this, but havnt yet).
Quote Reply

Prev Next