Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Small, affordable luxuries [MidwestRoadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just spent ten bucks on a beer in the airport.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: Small, affordable luxuries [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
<<Darn Tough socks>>

They fucking rock. Wife got me a couple pair for christmas last year, asked for more again this year.

I'll politely disagree on this one. I wear wool socks almost every day, and Darn Tough are OK, but nothing special. I actually like Bridgedale Trekker socks the best, but there are several other brands that I think are better than Darn Tough.

But yeah, good wool socks are an affordable luxury - no doubt.
Quote Reply
Re: Small, affordable luxuries [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
The beef market is incredibly complex and I believe Costco's buying power gets them better beef for the dollar. I've had beef from everything from cows I pulled out of their Mom to the shit Thrifties/TheMarket/Glenwood/QF/StupidStore try to pass off as AAA... Costco is consistently the best for less money than the grocers and many butchers.

I wouldn't sweat the processing, freezing, shipping. Beef needs to be aged, and that's exactly whats happening as it gets shipped from a farmer in Alberta to the local store. It gets stunned/drained in ButtFuck AB, cut into sides and shipped to local stores for butchering into your favourite cuts. Heck where do you think the beef your local butcher has came from? There is practically no beef farming in southern BC, the high costs cant support the low margins and you don't need the mild climate for production. Beef cows do great in the cold if you're supplementing their feed.

Canada is still a net exporter of beef I believe, so it might be a case of Costco cant buy the quality they demand for a reasonable market price.

We're going to raise feeder pigs next year... that will be the nicest bacon ever, do it up Red barn style. Still trying sort out butchering details but may have a few halves to sell to family/friends. In my uninformed opinion, pigs are social creatures and it will be easier to raise 3-4 than 1-2... we just cant eat 1000+ lbs of pork ourselves.

Yes, lots of misconceptions and half truths about meat on this thread. Also the Canadian market and US market are very different, so I can't comment on the tenderloins that LTin83 is buying in California.

First of all, Costco does not sell prefrozen beef, almost nobody does. No reason to sell frozen beef when it ages so well.

Second, almost all of Costco's beef in Canada is Canadian beef. But the quality is generally lower than what they claim. I hate to throw out my credentials here but I have purchased thousands of striploins from Costco, Sysco, And GFS for my restaurants. Costco's "AAA" beef is rarely a true AAA. Their volume is so high that their buyers pressure meat graders to move some of the better AA strips into the AAA category, because they can get better prices for it. Having said that, their pricing is great if you don't care. Also it is still good, just not as good as they claim. And generally it is slightly better than grocery stores, but generally worse than a good butcher shop.

Third, I have switched entirely to local, organic, "torture-reduced" meat. It's fucking expensive and sometimes we just go without because it is very hard to source, but this is my little affordable luxury. It requires knowing your butcher well and asking the right questions. Fortunately I live in an area that is jammed with small lamb, egg, chicken and pork producers. Beef is a bit of a challenge, but if I only eat beef a couple times a month I am good. And buying grass-fed and grass-finished beef gives it an entirely different chew and a better taste. I bought some tenderloin last week and made a fucking amazing Beef Tartare.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Small, affordable luxuries [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
MidwestRoadie wrote:
Nice! Is that the new mini torque set? I have to ask -- how much does that run? I can't see a "necessary" reason to replace the cool Italian bike-tool torque wrench I have, but a Silca is so tempting with the fully designed set & pouch.

You'd probably appreciate the Wolf Tooth burrito tool wrap also...well worth the $60 or so. It's spendy, but awesome.

The ratchet kit was $85 on Kickstarter; it's $98 now. The ratchet/T-handle is really nice. The torque wrench is nice too, but is a little hard to use for those of us who need reading glasses for most everything.

You can get the ratchet kit w/o torque wrench for $50 (https://silca.cc/...oducts/t-ratchet_kit). If I had to do it over I'd go that route - it's the cutest wittle watchet I've ever seen.

Just got mine in also. It is a little hard to read the torque settings and doesn't work any better than my $30 torque wrench set from Bike Nashbar but should come in handy when riding. I always find my 4nm torque guesses with my allen keys doesn't always work out so well with my carbon aerobars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pellegrino water, but the quantities we drink are not small and not that affordable

i'm wondering if a soda stream can possibly match the taste
Quote Reply
Re: Small, affordable luxuries [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Molly

Wild caught salmon

Darn Tough socks
Ha! Molly is for teeny boppers!
If your gonna treat your self , might as well get the old school x mashed up with all the other goodies.
If you can't stare at your brain while your teeth chatter off its no bueno!
"Pink for me of course , unless were going back in time 15 years or so."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wood fired pizza and locally crafted draughft
Quote Reply
Re: Small, affordable luxuries [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
Pellegrino water, but the quantities we drink are not small and not that affordable

We have a "Penguin" and use filtered (through our refrigerator) tap water. It's awesome.

For the record, our local tap water is notorious for its awful taste so the filter in our refrigerator is really good.

Honestly, I think our homemade bubbles are better than Pellegrino. Pellegrino is on the flat side for my tastes.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unfort Penguin doesn't sell here . . . i'll see what's kicking around on ebay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:
unfort Penguin doesn't sell here . . . i'll see what's kicking around on ebay

https://www.amazon.com/...=penguin+soda+stream

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's cute!

but pricey -- that plus customs duty would be crippling. Maybe i'll try to find one next time in the States and lug it . . . thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

We switched from Pellegrino and Gerolsteiner (my favourite) to Soda Stream. There is a subtle taste difference (our tap water is pretty damn good, so, YMMV) but now we go through a a few litres of Soda Stream a day. Highly recommend it.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
D.R. Harris Milled Shaving Soap. No matter what else I have or don't have, I get to shave every single day knowing it's very unlikely anyone in the world has anything better than that, regardless of how much $ they have. OP, awesome thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Small, affordable luxuries [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
wimsey wrote:
<<Darn Tough socks>>

They fucking rock. Wife got me a couple pair for christmas last year, asked for more again this year.

I'll politely disagree on this one. I wear wool socks almost every day, and Darn Tough are OK, but nothing special. I actually like Bridgedale Trekker socks the best, but there are several other brands that I think are better than Darn Tough.

But yeah, good wool socks are an affordable luxury - no doubt.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to the facts ;)

Bridgedales are solid too.
Quote Reply

Prev Next