Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Inlaws Dropping By Unannounced? [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel for you. My parents drop by some times. It's annoying, but, they do it out of love. My wife hates the drop-in. By anyone. She even got mad at a friend of hers for dropping in! She just really values her personal, quiet time after a hectic day. Once we were having a pretty heated argument over something, and right as things were reaching their peak, we look out the window, and my dad is walking up.... that went over real well.

Her parents are the opposite. Completely detached and apathetic parents. They are nice people to be around, but, I would never rely on them to volunteer or help out when you're in a tough spot. It can make them a bit hard to love sometimes.

I would agree with the others who say you need to bring this up, or, learn to change your attitude and endure, if not enjoy, their company. You have a reasonable case, you'll just have to go through the wife's emotional backlash over you initially bringing it up. Stand you ground!

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pop in!

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: Inlaws Dropping By Unannounced? [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:
That's a big nay for me. Everyone has a cell phone and it's common courtesy to call before showing up. If the stop by is a common occurrence I'd ask my wife to ask her parents to call before coming over.

Nope, not everyone had a cell phone. My FIL is one of those who doesn't have a cell and has never bought anything online like it were some sort of badge of honour. Still occasionally asks if we want "DVD copies" of random stuff.

Oddly, before he retired he was in tech support.
Quote Reply
Re: Inlaws Dropping By Unannounced? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We've had to get used to more people dropping by unannounced... most of them strangers having watched us build the house welcoming us to the neighborhood. They dont have our phone numbers to text us, so they get a pass... the inlaws on the other hand.

I've told my wife to deal with it. If it comes from my mouth it'll come out as "You're not fucking welcome in my house" which is how I feel but sort of understand isn't a reasonable position. I've actually uttered those words back when they lived in Ontario and that one nearly ended in divorce.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Luckily I have the George Costanza buffer zone in effect where mine are in Florida ("Every five years!") so I don't have this problem.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Inlaws Dropping By Unannounced? [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
callidus wrote:
The pop in!

Good call. The OP should frame his in laws and have them locked up. Problem solved.
Quote Reply

Prev Next