Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

@#&$%! - I deleted pics of my kids by accident
Quote | Reply
I've been moving photos across onto a QNAP NAS so that they are backed up in RAID* and can be viewed by the in-laws back in Canada. Had about 300 recent ones taken by a photographer friend on a flash drive. They were duplicated in folders that were sorted by kid and location (i.e Kid 1 on Swing)

Moved the individual pics and folders across to the NAS. Then started sorting them on the NAS to remove the loose duplicates after first checking they were all duplicated in the folders. I came out of one folder and deleted about 10 loose pics from the parent directory only to discover it somehow also deleted them from the folder.

I don't appear to have had the Recycle Bin enabled on the QNAP (seems pretty f-ing dumb not to have automatically on: or about as dumb as the person who deleted the files). R

I tried plugging the flash into my PC which had some old data recovery software (EaseUS) and found the folders and file names. They have all the right size etc only I can't open them. Says file format not supported in Windows Photo Viewer etc.

I haven't copied anything else onto the flash. Literally all I've done is removed it from lap top and run one recovery on it. Don't know if I can get them off the NAS.

Any gurus out there, or fellow idiots who have had success?

EDIT: trialled some free software from Wondershare and i just squeezed within free quota so all good
Last edited by: mv2005: Dec 8, 16 7:25
Quote Reply
Re: @#&$%! - I deleted pics of my kids by accident [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Had about 300 recent ones taken by a photographer friend...

Did your photog friend keep copies?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not sure but, what format were the photo's in? If they were in RAW it's unlikely that photo viewer has the right plug in. You might want to try opening the files with a different program such as Adobe Lightroom.
Quote Reply
Re: @#&$%! - I deleted pics of my kids by accident [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a while ago (June ish), so not likely but I'll check.
Quote Reply
Re: @#&$%! - I deleted pics of my kids by accident [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah they were jpeg. I checked some that hadn't been moved off the flash drive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My recommendation is to close your eyes, think real hard, and remember what your kids look like. Abracadabra, you don't need those 10 photos. With the other 290, plus what I'm sure are thousands of others, plus your actual memory, I think you're safe.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So after you ran the scan, and saw the files, you selected them and saved them to your computer? Then when you tried to open the version saved to your computer, you couldn't? Make sure they are named properly e.g file1.jpg not file1.jpg.recovered, and make sure the file permissions are correct. If you can see the file names and sizes in you data recovery program you should be able to recover them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've been moving photos across onto a QNAP NAS so that they are backed up in RAID* and can be viewed by the in-laws back in Canada.

I can't help you with your alphabet soup problem, and I hope you're able to recover them, but do they not have Google Drive in Canada? You're talking about JPEG files, correct?

Every photo I take with my good camera goes to my computer, gets dropped into my Google Photos folder, and instantly backs up to the cloud, to which I can invite viewers or users to access from their mobile or desktop devices. I can delete every photo and video from my phone and camera at any time, because it's set to backup all photos and videos to that account every time it connects to wifi.

This is a problem you shouldn't be having in 2016.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: @#&$%! - I deleted pics of my kids by accident [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
My recommendation is to close your eyes, think real hard, and remember what your kids look like. Abracadabra, you don't need those 10 photos. With the other 290, plus what I'm sure are thousands of others, plus your actual memory, I think you're safe.

Ha ha. Yes but you haven't met my in laws!
Quote Reply
Re: @#&$%! - I deleted pics of my kids by accident [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. That's the ticket! I am going to use this excuse/response for all of my clients. Thanks Slowguy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know, I had quite a collection of action pics and money shots of girls I fucked in college. In a moment of weakness I deleted them when things go serious with a girl who is now my wife. I often think what a dumb idea that was.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: @#&$%! - I deleted pics of my kids by accident [wld] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wld wrote:
So after you ran the scan, and saw the files, you selected them and saved them to your computer? Then when you tried to open the version saved to your computer, you couldn't? Make sure they are named properly e.g file1.jpg not file1.jpg.recovered, and make sure the file permissions are correct. If you can see the file names and sizes in you data recovery program you should be able to recover them.

Didn't actually see the preview in the scan, just names or variations. Only once saved to recover folder could I tell they were corrupt in the EaseUS software.

Per the OP edit I trialled Wondershare Data Recovery and it worked.
Quote Reply
Re: @#&$%! - I deleted pics of my kids by accident [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
I've been moving photos across onto a QNAP NAS so that they are backed up in RAID* and can be viewed by the in-laws back in Canada.

I can't help you with your alphabet soup problem, and I hope you're able to recover them, but do they not have Google Drive in Canada? You're talking about JPEG files, correct?

Every photo I take with my good camera goes to my computer, gets dropped into my Google Photos folder, and instantly backs up to the cloud, to which I can invite viewers or users to access from their mobile or desktop devices. I can delete every photo and video from my phone and camera at any time, because it's set to backup all photos and videos to that account every time it connects to wifi.

This is a problem you shouldn't be having in 2016.

I will never trust a cloud of any sort. I've seen the movie!
Quote Reply
Re: @#&$%! - I deleted pics of my kids by accident [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:
You know, I had quite a collection of action pics and money shots of girls I fucked in college. In a moment of weakness I deleted them when things go serious with a girl who is now my wife. I often think what a dumb idea that was.

Lol - I did the same many years back, but they were OF my future wife. Can't tell you how many hours I burnt trying to recover those. Dumbest thing ever. Even she agrees.
Quote Reply
Re: @#&$%! - I deleted pics of my kids by accident [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheForge wrote:

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply