Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My kid's height...WTF?!
Quote | Reply
Lil'Shady just turned 9 - healthy and super athletic - BUT still following that 50-55th percentile growth curve for height. With an oldman in 90th and mom 75th can one of you rocket scientists explain to me how the fuck this is even possible ?!.
(Starting to panic a bit re his chances of playing in the Show (NHL:)
Quote Reply
Re: My kid's height...WTF?! [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously a tall swimmer didnt win the race to the egg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With an oldman in 90th

You sure?

I kid, I kid.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
With an oldman in 90th and mom 75th can one of you rocket scientists explain to me how the fuck this is even possible ?!.

well there's one explanation..... I'll let Maury break it to you

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps he's the next Gretzky...

I have a personality disorder, I don't drink coffee...
Quote Reply
Re: My kid's height...WTF?! [ChiTownJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChiTownJack wrote:
shady wrote:
With an oldman in 90th and mom 75th can one of you rocket scientists explain to me how the fuck this is even possible ?!.

well there's one explanation..... I'll let Maury break it to you

This is the best use of a gif that I've seen in awhile.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can one of you rocket scientists explain to me how the fuck this is even possible ?!.

Some people have a later growth spurt?

In high school I was by far the shortest kid in my class but ended up being 6' (my father was 5'10" and my Mom only 5'2") and taller than most of the same people. I didn't hit my growth spurt until University so not sure it's that unusual for someone age 9.

Not everyone fits into those nice charts.
Quote Reply
Re: My kid's height...WTF?! [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
can one of you rocket scientists explain to me how the fuck this is even possible ?!.

Some people have a later growth spurt?

In high school I was by far the shortest kid in my class but ended up being 6' (my father was 5'10" and my Mom only 5'2") and taller than most of the same people. I didn't hit my growth spurt until University so not sure it's that unusual for someone age 9.

Not everyone fits into those nice charts.
I was one of the shortest kids in my class in grade 5-6 or thereabout Or age 11-12. I was tall by 8th grade. Ended up over 6 feet by the time I graduated HS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Friend of mine was small growing up. He didn't really start going until he was 18 or so.

He's now 6'6, 250lb jiu jitsu black belt and former pro beach volley ball player.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "winning" sperm and egg may have carried recessive short genes instead of the dominant tall genes that are expressed in you and your wife. My folks are 5'9" and 5'6" and had kids that range from 5'10" to 6'4".

Or he'll be a late bloomer.

Or vaccines (/pink)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need to be tall to play in the NHL.

You need talent. He needs to work on his skating. Above all else.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: My kid's height...WTF?! [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But if you're really big, you dont need necessarily need talent. See Chara and Byfuglien...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seriously?

My oldest is north of 5'10" and I am 63" (makes me sound bigger). I got two other boys right behind him, one of those I know who will be over 6 feet.
Quote Reply
Re: My kid's height...WTF?! [re-fresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Height is a multiple-allelic trait, (paraphrasing) meaning that the height genes stack up. The more total height genes present yields more height. Even with that, genetics only accounts for something like 50% of the influence, where the other half is influenced by factors like environmental conditions in the womb, nutrition and exercise habits in early development, and whether or not you think BLeP is an idiot for discussing hockey in this thread. Stuff like that.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: My kid's height...WTF?! [re-fresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re-fresh wrote:
The "winning" sperm and egg may have carried recessive short genes instead of the dominant tall genes that are expressed in you and your wife. My folks are 5'9" and 5'6" and had kids that range from 5'10" to 6'4".

Or he'll be a late bloomer.

Or vaccines (/pink)

I don't even think they need to be recessive or dominant, it's just that a lot of genes go into determining height so when you mix them all up, there's a chance a kid will end with more of the short or tall ones.

Also, lack of nutrition or frequent illness can also cause people to be shorter than their genes would dictate under optimal conditions.
Quote Reply