Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best VALUE in a race [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Beyond Triple T, this thread is already nothing but a popularity contest of STr's favorites.

Not really. I gave examples of what I thought were "good value" races.....HITS and Delmo......not my favorites.
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman Florida! I mean, have you seen that backpack!?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Beyond Triple T, this thread is already nothing but a popularity contest of STr's favorites.

Not really.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easily, Norseman.

This is in line with your current front page article regarding something Original.

The fee isn't that great but Norseman was easily the most expensive race I've ever taken part in (and that was with benefit of utilizing in-law Swedish summer house week before, etc). But, now knowing how great an experience it truly was (of course, people praise Norseman so much...but it's all justified in my opinion... it really is a near-mystical life event, not just a race): would easily have paid 2X, 3X to do it... and would still have come out way ahead in value equation.

I'm with you - I'm in this for the experience. Sure, I like to measure myself against others...but give me an experience and I will give you my money. Doesn't have to be in a distant land...just come up with something awesome.

I personally think that Ironman still provides good value... although maybe less so at particular races and more so at others. Did IM Copenhagen this August and it was a really well-run, great experience race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For all the reasons the others have said......American Triple-T. 4 Races, racing top, lots of food. A tough, tough course.
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Not really. I gave examples of what I thought were "good value" races.....HITS and Delmo......not my favorites.

Cheap is not necessarily "Best Value". In the world of contracting, the highest price good or service can be the best value over all other bidders if the additional benefits outweigh the additional cost.

For example, reputational excellence is one factor I would use in determining what I am getting for my money. On that factor alone, HITS has to discount their races steeply compared to others because by and large they suck year after year (YMMV). Of course, there would be a host of other factors in a best value decision and ST would argue about those. Jumping directly to a discussion on which races have best value is putting the cart before the horse since individual expectations from the same race can vary so widely. Some value propositions aren't even known to the consumer until they become conspicuously absent and smack you in the face.
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [Dan Funk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have fully captured the meaning of "best value" as opposed to cheap!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Cheap is not necessarily "Best Value". In the world of contracting, the highest price good or service can be the best value over all other bidders if the additional benefits outweigh the additional cost.

For example, reputational excellence is one factor I would use in determining what I am getting for my money. On that factor alone, HITS has to discount their races steeply compared to others because by and large they suck year after year (YMMV). Of course, there would be a host of other factors in a best value decision and ST would argue about those. Jumping directly to a discussion on which races have best value is putting the cart before the horse since individual expectations from the same race can vary so widely. Some value propositions aren't even known to the consumer until they become conspicuously absent and smack you in the face.

Sorry, but beg to differ. The HITS Naples event doesn't "suck"....the two years I've done it has been well run and provides a good value in my opinion. Can't speak for the other HITS events and you might have a different opinion if you have had a different experince with HITS....no problem. Delmos races are not "cheap" (look them up) but compared to the cost and the type of experience they provide I believe are a good value. I could care less about "reputational excellence". I'm only concerned about the product that is delivered when I experience it and shell out my fee and time commitment. I thought I answered Dan's question accurately....events that provide a good "value".....not my favorites and not necessarily "cheap".
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [dmorris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dmorris wrote:
Monday night mini tri series in Lake Placid during the summer.

$20 for a sprint. Low key, grassroots style racing.

Another excellent choice. What a benefit for triathletes who live in that area. We all want to travel and explore new venues, but if I lived near LP and could do that race regularly, I would be a very happy, content triathlete. Also kudos to the similar Speedy Feet series in SW Ohio mentioned earlier in this thread. SW Ohio, however, can't quite compare to the scenic beauty of LP. :) FYI, the Speedy Feet RD did many HFP events before starting his own company.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Dec 8, 16 12:10
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Sorry, but beg to differ. The HITS Naples event doesn't "suck"....the two years I've done it has been well run and provides a good value in my opinion. Can't speak for the other HITS events and you might have a different opinion if you have had a different experince with HITS....no problem. Delmos races are not "cheap" (look them up) but compared to the cost and the type of experience they provide I believe are a good value. I could care less about "reputational excellence". I'm only concerned about the product that is delivered when I experience it and shell out my fee and time commitment. I thought I answered Dan's question accurately....events that provide a good "value".....not my favorites and not necessarily "cheap".

Perhaps you haven't grasped the essence of YMMV. I've never done a HITS race; and I have read about problems at Naples although nothing like Palm Springs. The future of HITS as a series does not look very promising.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Challenge Roth is a terrific value for an iconic race. I have "paid" them 7 times.

Our local Kids for Kids triathlon (http://www.kidsforkidstriathlon.com) is a GREAT event - literally kona level production and the kids get more value in swag than their race entry fee. A race video has been featured on ST.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

Perhaps you haven't grasped the essence of YMMV. I've never done a HITS race; and I have read about problems at Naples although nothing like Palm Springs. The future of HITS as a series does not look very promising.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

HITS aside, you're still wrong about this being a simple popularity contest.

Most people responding are listing events that have wildly different costs, different productions, different levels of difficulty and different turnouts, and they are listing the reason WHY the price tag is a good value to them.

I named the june lake one because it is, of the races I have done, the best overall bang for buck.

While JL is one of the races I like most, it's not my favorite race, but I will probably do JL more than the other races I like as much because I feel like I am getting more expserience per dollar than the other races that top my list, in large part because those other races, which are equally challenging and beautiful, have a much higher price tag on them and require long distance or even international travel.
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here's what we have. this about cover it?

U.S.

HITS Napa
American Triple T
American Zofingen
Savageman
Lake Logan Half
Graniteman Challenge
Strive Multisport Triathlon
Pigman Half
Madison Aquathon Series
Speedy Feet Series

Non-U.S.

Lausanne Triathlon
Rotorua Half
Norseman
Ötillö
Maxdorf
Wasserstadt
Frankfurt city half
Knappenman XXL
Challenge Roth

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fly by night. Anyone can ride on a road anytime. You rarely get to ride on a NASCAR track
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
Fly-by-Night duathlon.

You race on a NASCAR track.

I looked up this race. Awesome - run-bike-run-bike-run on a NASCAR course. Different. And no swimming! I'm seriously considering the 6 hour drive from the Boston area.

FIRM had a standard duathlon on a smaller race course in Connecticut but, unfortunately it was cancelled for 2017 due to low participation. That was a FUN race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan I have enjoyed your recent thought-provoking threads on the state of triathlon.

For my money, the Kerrville Half is the best. I've done 12 different IM-branded halves and 5 different full IMs. Kerrville (about 90 mins. SW of Austin and 60 min. NW of San Antonio) is in my opinion by far the best half in Texas. I have done the three IM-branded halves in Texas and Kerrville is far superior to them in every way. The swim is beautiful, in the calm and clean Guadalupe River, surrounded by big trees on the banks. The bike course is mostly gentle rollers, enough to break up any drafting, but not hard. The run is down along the river and there is great crowd support. In addition to the Half, there is a full weekend of racing with a sprint and olympic as well.

Kerrville is a great little town in the Texas Hill Country, with little wine bars and a cool vibe, similar to what you might experience in the small town IM's like Couer d'Alene, Placid, etc.

FWIW, the Kerrville Half was just voted the best local triathlon in Austin Fit Magazine. It is put on by the event management company led by Jack Murray, formerly of Jack & Adam's bike shop in Austin. Jack loves triathlon and knows the sport well. They created this race from scratch several years ago and it has grown into something special. I think that fact alone, that a new independent half iron race can be born and thrive in recent years is a testament to its quality and atmosphere.

Thanks,
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well worth the drive. I do it from CT every year.

Also a night race with a BBQ after.

Bring your own liquor for post race.
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having raced in California, Texas, Florida, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, New York and Massachusetts, the best value in my opinion in the US would be the North Carolina Triathlon Series

Sprints $55 until December 31 then $65
Internationals $70 until December 31 then $85
Half $135 until December 31 then $155

14 Sprint Distances
5 International
2 Cross between an International and a Half
3 Half's. (Lake Logan is just an amazing low key two days of racing).

Season starts in March and ends in October with a huge variety in course types. Race 5 races and you get some good swag. I got a Zone3 transition backpack this year and past years I have gotten a customized down jacket and a pretty sweet huge framed photo of me on my bike at one of the races that year.
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
RaceDay Events does a series with 6 races for $249, ranging from sprint to OLY. With packet picket for EACH race, you get a coupon for $20 off anything at a Trek Store here in the city, so 120 back. Free photos, free lunch from Panera, awards, finish medals, t-shirt and often beer. Beat that!

100% agree. Not to mention the freebies at the awards banquet at the end of the year including free race entries for next year. I've gotten comped six races I believe. Incredibly generous.

That said, I'm signed up for the 2017 Aquathon Series which I've never done (though I've done a few of the individual races). We'll see if I can learn to OWS this year, lol.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
It's not the most fair comparison, but I do think that if you're one of those 'plan a whole year in advance' triathletes, you get a literal steal of a deal on super-early registration on HITS Half-ironman distance races.

Here are the fees for their Napa valley race:

http://hitstriathlonseries.com/...-ca/register-to-race

HITS HALF Fees
Saturday, April 8, 2017
Individual

• Registration Fee 4/10/16 - 4/11/16: $100
  • Registration Fee after 4/11/16: $125
  • Registration Fee after 5/8/16: $200
  • Registration Fee after 1/8/17: $250
  • Registration Fee after 3/8/17: $300 (base price)

Clearly, it's not a particular deal at all with 'normal' registration times, but if you get it on that first day because you're so inclined, I think it's pretty tough to beat $100 for a well-run HIM. (I've done this race as it was legit.)

Even before 5/8/16, $125 for a HIM is a steal. (WTC HIM Santa Cruz is $275 for early reg, $325 for late.)

I can second this. I race the sprint at Naples and Ocala every year. I think I pay $60. The events at those venues are well run IMO. I'm not sure if they qualify as "best value" but they're a solid value.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i see your point. but are you reading the HITS palm springs race reports? is this just a palm springs issue, where it seems to so often end up like this? or is this a national issue? because, again, value isn't just cheap. it's cheap for what you get.

i don't want to color your view. i'm simply asking.

Sounds like it might be specific to that venue. Naples/Ocala is well run every year.
Quote Reply
Re: Best VALUE in a race [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
I did HITS Napa last year, which is not actually close to Napa [city] since it is up at Lake Berryessa, but the race went great. Beautiful location and scenery, nice lake, great bike course with some climbs, and rolling out and back run. I don't know how they manage to have so many problems at Palm Springs, because Napa was done well and despite probably not going back to Palm Springs I will give Napa another go next year.

Anyway I think Chicago Triathlon is a great value. The triple challenge is $280 for three (plus the cumulative) races, the Oly by itself is $145, a very professional production that is a great location and in a great host city. A bike course on lower wacker drive where Batman was filmed is quite an experience. Full lanes of traffic are closed down so the bike course is very safe, the lower Wacker Drive portion is completely closed for the race, The swim is about as safe as any open water swim could be given that it runs parallel to the edge of the lake, and the run course has got some great scenery too. Add 100 tourist things to do as a destination race, and I'd say it has some pretty great value.

I'd agree with that. The triple challenge is a great value. Fantastic venue. The finish line is has a bit of a "magical" quality to it. You basically finish in an amphitheater of iconic skyscrapers. It's the most spectator friendly swim in triathlon as your family/friends can easily walk the sea wall and follow you. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of people every year cheering on loved ones in the swim, holding up signs, etc. If you're competitive the swim is a bit of a downer because it gets congested but it's also the same for everybody so....

The bike course is pretty phenomenal too though I'm not a fan of the busway portion: I think the ramps and turns going up/down are too severe and therefore dangerous.
Quote Reply

Prev Next