Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Camcorders
Quote | Reply
I have kids aged 5-10 and I like to take videos every once in a while. Currently I use a GoPro Hero 3+. It works very well for playing at the beach, mountain biking, runs, swimming, etc. It isn't great though for things like Christmas morning (low light indoors) or watching team sports (no zoom). I could use my wife's DSLR, but it is bulky and she is usually taking pictures with it. Has anyone purchased a camcorder lately, or does everyone just use a phone now? There don't seem to be a ton of options out there, and many on Amazon were made by companies I hadn't heard of and did not get good ratings.
Quote Reply
Re: Camcorders [jmcconne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Almost all digital cameras take video now so the niche of the camcorder is fading. Even my little point in shoot takes ok video, almost as good as my phone lol. The small "mirrorless" type of camera with interchangeable lenses seem to be the go to for a lot of people. Here is a decent version a couple of youtubers use. https://www.amazon.com/...mirrorlesscameras-20

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any suggestions, but I'm also looking for the same for a Christmas present for my 10 yo. He's been very active in making and editing his own videos, special effects and all. He's been using an older camcorder and I'd like to get him something better. But he is only 10 (and I'm not JSA or Duffy rich) so needs to be cheaper and kid friendly (drops, water, dirt, snow, etc). Any suggestions are welcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Samsung s7 takes better video (4k) than most consumer camcorders.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Camcorders [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what your price range is, by there are are a few GoPro "knockoffs" which have good reviews on YouTube and elsewhere. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger either on Gitup Git2 ($120) or a Firefly 7s (on sale for $69 while supplies last). Both come with waterproof cases and some mounts. From what I can see is they compare well to the GoPro. The downside is that they ship from Asia. The site to get them from is gearbest.com. They take PayPal which is nice and seem pretty reputable from comments around the interwebs

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll sell you my RCA.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Camcorders [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^ Last summer I saw a roadie hit an 80s camera and go down bad. Camera was on the ground in the bike lane. He was going pretty fast and ran right into it and went down. Some cars stopped and one driver ran the other way, to grab the camera, brought it back, and offered it to the roadie now writhing in pain and holding his wrist. "Here's your camera". "THAT'S NOT MINE!" "Oh"

Anyway, any modern point and shoot with decent optics, or a mirror-less DSLR (because mirrorless are compact... you said your SLR was too bulky) will shoot great video.

So will any modern smartphone but then you got no optical zoom.
Quote Reply