Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are you proud of your country? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"What principles do you think we are a custodian for? Do you think we're still fulfilling that custodial responsibility? (Broadly speaking)"

the list is longer, but, for one, america has been the most obvious model for a citizen-owned government, and for peaceful transfer of power, for the past quarter of a millenium. it has also been a model for the past century for the protection of public lands.

you and i may or may not agree that both these principles are important, and that america has been the most obvious example to the world, but that's how i roll and i think we've damaged our standing in both these areas during the past election.

I agree these are important principles and reasons why you and I should be proud of America. I agree they are some of the most obvious examples to the world.

can you expand on this a bit please. Specifically:

1) how has our peaceful transfer of power been "damaged"? Do you see a transfer of power in danger of EDIT: NOT occurring? or being delayed in any significant way relative to past practices?

I ask because I don't see that happening. I do see the last several national election cycles having more and more razor thin margins (almost back to Clinton I). Which makes for a more "loud" transfer of power. But that doesn't make it less peaceful. I have yet to see a legitimate contender or party try to block or revolt against an election result. I would say 2000 was the closest I saw anything come to this possibility. I see a lot of stupid lip service on behalf of a lot of parties but I don't see any legitimate threat to our citizen govt or our peaceful transfer of power principles.

If anything our "standing" as it relates to the other countries in the world has been confirmed over the last 20-25 years. That we can disagree and disagree strongly but the peaceful transfer of power remains above all in this process (ie. If Gore would have led a revolution against Bush then our peaceful transfer of power principle wouldn't have much validity).

2) what specifically has happened to our public lands since the election that would cause you to believe this country as a whole wishes to "damage" them or has damaged them. I have been around for 50 years and I think the lands of America have been protected and enhanced throughout that period. I agree with you that we are an example to the world in terms of how we have done and continue to do this. I am curious how you believe that has so dramatically changed in the last 32 days that you might have it influence you from being proud to not being proud?

thanks

Last edited by: ironmayb: Dec 8, 16 12:08
Quote Reply
Re: Are you proud of your country? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

So what you're saying is all the negatives in the entire country are directly the fault of Obama and the good things have nothing to do with Obama.

quote]

maybe he learned that somewhere
Quote Reply
Re: Are you proud of your country? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Yes, because the aggregate good far outweighs the bad, in terms of our unique history, our contributions to human progress, our commitment to Enlightenment ideals, our founding charter and it's enshrinement of those ideals, and it's essential and historic commitment to the defense of freedom around the globe.

There are times, events, and ongoing issues for which I'm embarrassed for my country, but only because I take pride in it to begin with.

That's the best answer I have seen. I am with you.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Are you proud of your country? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
sphere wrote:
Yes, because the aggregate good far outweighs the bad, in terms of our unique history, our contributions to human progress, our commitment to Enlightenment ideals, our founding charter and it's enshrinement of those ideals, and it's essential and historic commitment to the defense of freedom around the globe.

There are times, events, and ongoing issues for which I'm embarrassed for my country, but only because I take pride in it to begin with.

I simply can't get behind the aggregate total of "Pride" or many things we seem to apply it to. "America is the "Best" country", "I'm proud of my country" etc etc. I's based on some idea that at the point that the scale tips that it erases all of the opposite. "I'm proud of my country" for the most part says "Hey, let's forget all the shitty stuff". By the same token "I'm not proud of my country" says "Hey let's forget about all the good stuff".

Again I find the entire question should only be posed about pretty specific actions and scenarios. It's the only time it makes any real sense. "I'm proud my country generally protects free speech and the rights of the minority". No matter how much shitty stuff the country does it will never change the fact that I'm proud that is something we typically support and do. No matter how much good stuff the country does it will never white wash some of the heinous things that we have done.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Are you proud of your country? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MJuric wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
sphere wrote:

I simply can't get behind the aggregate total of "Pride" or many things we seem to apply it to. "America is the "Best" country", "I'm proud of my country" etc etc. I's based on some idea that at the point that the scale tips that it erases all of the opposite. "I'm proud of my country" for the most part says "Hey, let's forget all the shitty stuff". By the same token "I'm not proud of my country" says "Hey let's forget about all the good stuff".

Again I find the entire question should only be posed about pretty specific actions and scenarios. It's the only time it makes any real sense. "I'm proud my country generally protects free speech and the rights of the minority". No matter how much shitty stuff the country does it will never change the fact that I'm proud that is something we typically support and do. No matter how much good stuff the country does it will never white wash some of the heinous things that we have done.

~Matt

Cop out.

Everything has positive and negative aspects. That surely doesn't render you paralyzed and unable to decide if you like those things, are proud of those things, think those things are the best, etc.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Are you proud of your country? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And people continue to conflate the concept of being proud of your country with asserting that your country is the best. Those concepts aren't inextricably linked.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Are you proud of your country? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Really? How about 95 million Americans out of work......an all time high.

You have to stop this nonsense. That figure repeated by Trump is complete BS because it includes all Americans > 65 whether retired or not, all kids over 16 whether in school or not. The actual number of people between the ages of 25 - 64 who are not in the workforce is 8.3 million. And that is nowhere near an all time high.

How about 50% more people on food stamps.

The actual number of people on food stamps is 43 million but between April '15 and April '16, the participation decreased by 1.9 million and has been declining in the last few years with the improving economy.

soldiers who now have to share rifles.

In what war do soldiers have to share rifles? They have to share them now in training

and ps.......the price of gas has NOTHING to do with Obama. It would probably be lower if it wasn't for his anti fossil fuel energy policies.

So what you're saying is all the negatives in the entire country are directly the fault of Obama and the good things have nothing to do with Obama.

Have you ever considered that some jobs are lost with the increase in technology? Or, that some people on food stamps and social assistance choose to stay where the are and not look for work. Or, that some things in the country aren't necessarily the direct result of one person?[/quote

Wrong about food stamps.....while it did decrease slightly as you noted in the past year, the number is still 36.2 % higher than when he took office. Over 50% of recent college grads (last two years) are unemployed or underemployed.....all time high. The percentage of 18-34s who still live at home is at an all time high. Wages for millennials have decreased over the past 5 years. 40% of millennials have used a pawn shop or payday lender.... an all time high. There are 125 million 25-54s in the country and 29 million are unemployed....23%. No idea where you got your figures. Violent crime in major cities is now increasing thanks to Obamas "endorsement" of BLM as police officers now avoid confrontations. Military leaders can't stand the guy. School lunch programs are now a joke thanks to Michelle. Home ownership at an all time low. The divisiveness in this country is at an all time high......and this was well before Trump ever became a candidate. I'd like to know what good things you refer to above. Apparently the voting public didn't think much of the "good things" over the past 8 years either as they sure voted against another 3rd term of Obama. And all this doesn't even include his atrocious/incompetent handling of the "jv team", ISIS.....the Benghazi "video" and the FT. Hood "workplace violence" disaster. The markets sure think good things are about to happen after the last 8 years of anti business policies.Hopefully we can all be proud of our country real soon.
Last edited by: gphin305: Dec 9, 16 9:29
Quote Reply
Re: Are you proud of your country? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm proud of my country, disappointed by the idiots that run it, claim that they want back their Canada. Their Canada? WTF is that even supposed to mean? We're supposed to be a multi-cultural nation accepting of all others differences. Well except when those differences intrude upon the political whims of those who dislike the values of other parts of the country.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, it gets harder by the day. Not necessarily because of what our know-nothing President says and does, but because of how it's countenanced daily by roughly half of our political class and by a sizable minority of citizens with their explicit approval or silence.

I'm not a sky-is-falling kind of guy, but this is something I never imagined I'd see in my lifetime. And I hope we never have to see it again.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our country yes. Our political climate and president NO!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Honestly, it gets harder by the day. Not necessarily because of what our know-nothing President says and does, but because of how it's countenanced daily by roughly half of our political class and by a sizable minority of citizens with their explicit approval or silence.

I'm not a sky-is-falling kind of guy, but this is something I never imagined I'd see in my lifetime. And I hope we never have to see it again.

Remember when Chainpin and Forge would talk about the imminent the collapse of the country. I always had enough confidence in the people of this country that it seemed so foolish.

Now, I see the two sides of the political spectrum so far apart it worries me. And I see people who I thought were good hearted people making excuses for and rationalizing away behavior that is beyond the pale.

What you support and who you surround yourself with reveals a lot about you.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you proud of your country? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm ALWAYS proud of my country. It's my government that often disappoints me.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Jan 12, 18 15:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Remember when Chainpin and Forge would talk about the imminent the collapse of the country. I always had enough confidence in the people of this country that it seemed so foolish.

Their view was that Obama's liberalism was going to cause the collapse. and that was foolish. I've been saying for years that grass roots polarization has effectively ended this country. It won't collapse, but it has pretty much split, and there are few people disputing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
sphere wrote:

Now, I see the two sides of the political spectrum so far apart it worries me. And I see people who I thought were good hearted people making excuses for and rationalizing away behavior that is beyond the pale.

What you support and who you surround yourself with reveals a lot about you.

Social media has allowed people to be triggered 24/7. Face to face discourse will always be more civil and likely to produce a postitive outcome.

I'm not sure how you can live in the US and not be proud of your country, as a collective entity. Sure, there are always going to be people doing things that don't shed a good light on us, but come on. We don't have an immigration problem because we suck at so many things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
Are you proud of your country as it currently is, not as it used to be, and not as it could be or should be, but as it actually is?

Why or why not?

Yes. We are above average.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

This sounds like a guy telling me he can't be proud of America anymore because we let gays get married. I don't find it convincing at all, and I don't value that person's opinion the same after hearing it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm proud to be a citizen of the United States of America.

I love how it was and how it is. Does it, or did it, have issues or problems? Sure.
However, I will always defend this country against an effete anti-americanism that seems to roll off people's tongues so easily.
Fuck that degenerate instinct.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you proud of your country? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the notice.

Quote Reply
Re: Are you proud of your country? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
an effete anti-americanism that seems to roll off people's tongues so easily.

And you're reading that where on this forum, exactly?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
an effete anti-americanism that seems to roll off people's tongues so easily.

And you're reading that where on this forum, exactly?

That comment is not about this thread in particular.
I have a history in the LR of attacking facile anti-american sentiment, and wanted to explain why.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you proud of your country? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:

Their view was that Obama's liberalism was going to cause the collapse. and that was foolish. I've been saying for years that grass roots polarization has effectively ended this country. It won't collapse, but it has pretty much split, and there are few people disputing that.

The only solution for this is proportional representation. The winner take all political system naturally produces two parties, and each party caters to the most vocal part of its base. It is impossible to have a viable third party. A third party would either replace one of the two existing parties or its ideas would be co-opted. Allow multiple parties and the extremists can have their own handful of crazy representatives while the moderate parties have the majority.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you proud of your country? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Constitution isn't built that way. Why do you hate 'Murica ;)? BTW, I agree, a third party isn't viable under our present system. It would hardly matter, lots of countries with multi-party systems end up controlled by extremist parties.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you proud of your country? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eventually all things implode; its the history of the world, people cannot stop imploding themselves or their countries. Until it implodes, I would call the American experiment the greatest Country that ever was.
Quote Reply
Re: Are you proud of your country? [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn’t trade it for the world- However Japan would be a far second
Quote Reply

Prev Next