Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Joe Thomas and his 106 losses in the NFL
Quote | Reply
This is a good story about what it's like to lose for a living in the NFL:

The 106th loss of Joe Thomas' NFL career was, predictably, melancholic. It came on an unseasonably warm November day in Cleveland, in a stadium overrun by acres of silver-and-blue Dallas Cowboys gear. A woman in Browns apparel fell asleep in her seat. There was a fight on the field at the beginning and a spirited first-quarter Cleveland drive, but inevitably, cold reality settled in like winters on Lake Erie.

http://www.espn.com/...ifts-factory-sadness

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Thomas and his 106 losses in the NFL [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aren't franchise-based sports great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love guys like that. Literally the backbone of the team, and how many #73 jerseys do you see in their bleachers? They probably sold 100 RG3 jerseys for every one of his, if not more. I'm probably off by a multiple of ten.

9,684 consecutive snaps, as a lineman--a great lineman who probably gets schemed mercilessly--is inconceivable.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a lot of romance to that story, but man.. it has to suck, losing that much. I'm sure that getting paid well takes the edge off, a bit, but at some point everyone fantasizes about professional satisfaction.

It's also worth noting that all but one of the leading losers ahead of Thomas are kickers. Don Mulhbach is a long snapper, but that surely ranks as relatively light duty when compared to left tackle.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Denver wanted to trade for him, reportedly, but Cleveland was asking too high of a price. Shame that a good player has to be on a losing team his whole career when a win-win-win deal could have been worked out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He has had the opportunity to leave and go somewhere that wins. Or at least tries to win. He doesn't want to. I find that odd.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems like a real warrior.

Not even close to what he's feeling, but I played on a softball team one year and we lost every game. While I didn't like losing, at the end of every game I judged myself on how I played and if I enjoyed the game. Maybe that's how he manages to get through it. I imagine after a while, being highly paid gets old - so he definitely has more going on than that.

I hope he's physically able to enjoy his retirement when it comes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He should play for Jeff fisher. They could break all sorts of losses records together.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come to Seattle Joe...PLEASE!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Thomas and his 106 losses in the NFL [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Aren't franchise-based sports great!

The NFL has more parity than any other team sport. The Browns legacy of loosing borders on statistically impossible.
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Thomas and his 106 losses in the NFL [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
He has had the opportunity to leave and go somewhere that wins. Or at least tries to win. He doesn't want to. I find that odd.

Loyalty. This is how we raise 'em in Wisconsin. Born and raised. Knowing he was going in the first 3 picks, where was Joe on draft day? On Lake Michigan fishing with his father, father-in-law, and Joe Panos. He is the epitome of a lunch pale guy. Hard working and loyal. Refreshing.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Joe Thomas and his 106 losses in the NFL [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
j p o wrote:

Loyalty. This is how we raise 'em in Wisconsin. Born and raised. Knowing he was going in the first 3 picks, where was Joe on draft day? On Lake Michigan fishing with his father, father-in-law, and Joe Panos. He is the epitome of a lunch pale guy. Hard working and loyal. Refreshing.

Is it loyalty or does he not want the pressure of having to play in and win big games?

Probably why he went to Wisconsin for college ball. :)

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply