Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Recommend me the Felt IA16 of kitchen knives [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of good suggestions here. To keep with your bike theme I'll add go test them. The style of the handle, weight, balance and such will be a little different so until you get one in your hand. If you are not going to get a set then as others have said start with a chefs knife. If it were me I'd go with a 8" or 10" first.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me the Felt IA16 of kitchen knives [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll offer an alternate suggestion.

Look locally for a knife maker and either buy or commission one to be made. Tell them what you plan to use the knife for as it can make a difference in the steel they choose to make it from. You can also get any kind of handle material or shape you want.

I'm an aspiring knife maker but haven't done any kitchen type knives yet, mostly hunting style with about 4" blades. I use 1095 high carbon steel which can make a great kitchen knife but it's not rust resistant so you have to care for the steel. Mind you it won't be cheap but it will last a life time and hold an edge for a very long time.

I went to a local knife group meeting last night and the topic was non-destructive testing of knives. One of the very accomplished makers brought a 4" drop point hunter and challenged us to make it dull. We sliced 3/16 leather a couple of hundred times, shaved old, dirty wood from the shop, ran the tip along the same wood. This process took over 1 hour to abuse/use it. It still sliced paper like it was butter through the whole process. A testament to the quality of the hardening of the blade enabling it to hold an edge but remain durable. You can make a super sharp blade with very hard steel but it may chip. You can make one very flexible and won't chip but it won't hold an edge very long. So finding the middle ground and designing it for it's intended use is critical. The maker also stated one of his customers cleaned and skinned a whole elk with out needing to sharpen the blade. That's quality.

I'll also second what others have said learn to sharpen a knife. That doesn't mean a steel, or some gadget off the web. Really learn how to do it and you will benefit in the long run from your knowledge. I personally use Arkansas stones and a diamond stone. Diamond to rough sharpen and the Arkansas to put the finished edge on them.
The other thing to look out for is custom makers that require you to send the blades back to them for sharpening like Chris Reeves. He makes amazing knives but the steel he uses is so hard that you can't sharpen it with out having the proper equipment.

Good luck on your search, I'm sure there are local makers in your area.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me the Felt IA16 of kitchen knives [PubliusValerius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
I'm learning to cook...the hardest part so far is cutting up the vegetables. It's also the slowest, most boring part. I need better tools -- a really great few knives or full knife set. I would like it to be affordable but I don't really have a budget because I know nothing about this market. I believe that there is an inflection point with everything, though, where you need to spend enough money to get to "quite good". In triathlon bikes, it's $2500-$3k. Recommend me the Felt IA16 of kitchen knives

Where is BleP? He's slacking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
gotsand wrote:
All great knife suggestions above. That said, they'll all be worthless unless you learn to keep them sharp.
I use and recommend one of these (I use the Apex with 2 stones). Easy, fast, and very effective:http://www.edgeproinc.com/

Holy crap, these are expensive. Is the $165 Apex 1 jawn sufficient? I don't know how to sharpen knives, of course, and that seems like the kind of thing I would not be good at, so the more resources I have for this the better. But multiple hundreds of dollars just for the sharpener isn't happening

Take a look at youtube. There are plenty of good tutorials. It's really not that hard. There are even guides that will hold the blade at the right angle if you want. You can get decent whetstones for not much money. Practice on crappy knives and see if you can make them sharp.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
all knife companies are now switching over to this technology:

everyone is going to be forced to ebay their existing knives and buy a new set of these. the hydraulic versions are coming.

the only question is wheelsize. i don't think we'll be able to answer that until the industry sells you one size, then a much bigger wheelsize, then a third halfway in between the first two.

;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Dec 7, 16 11:48
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me the Felt IA16 of kitchen knives [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someday, all food will be in pizza form; and the wheel will reign supreme.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anthony Bourdain likes Global;

http://www.businessinsider.com/anthony-bourdain-knife-sets-waste-of-money-2016-6

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me the Felt IA16 of kitchen knives [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha...and here I was encouraged by the poster who has had the same knife for 30 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"here I was encouraged by the poster who has had the same knife for 30 years."

the only question i need to answer is whether the industry should embrace the 140mm or 160mm disc knife. do you think the community can solve that in 300 posts?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
Haha...and here I was encouraged by the poster who has had the same knife for 30 years.

Henckels profesional "S" have had mine for 25 years. I dropped my 4" pairing, it broke and they replaced it free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PubliusValerius wrote:
gotsand wrote:
All great knife suggestions above. That said, they'll all be worthless unless you learn to keep them sharp.
I use and recommend one of these (I use the Apex with 2 stones). Easy, fast, and very effective:http://www.edgeproinc.com/

Holy crap, these are expensive. Is the $165 Apex 1 jawn sufficient? I don't know how to sharpen knives, of course, and that seems like the kind of thing I would not be good at, so the more resources I have for this the better. But multiple hundreds of dollars just for the sharpener isn't happening

You asked for expensive knives, why balk at a sharpener. All the Apex does is help you keep a consistent angle on the finished blade, and it's good at it (no, I don't think the "pro" is worth the $$). As others have said there are multiple ways to accomplish this - some are easier to learn and use than others. Bottom line is learn to sharpen whatever knives you buy, and don't stick expensive knives into those cheap electric sharpeners.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a set of Chicago Cutlery knives over 30 years ago, they've survived a couple of divorces and the abuse I put them through.

I think I paid in the $200 range for a set of 6 knives and a steel. I use the steel on them regularly and have only sharpened them a few times over 3 decades. Wood is good and they work well.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a six piece Shun set. Couldn't imagine needing anything nicer.

Quote | Reply
I have Calphalon Katana series knives, they are really nice, hold an edge pretty well and look great.

Next chef knife will be a Victorinox Swiss Army 8" chef's knife. Never used one but it is the one Cook's Illustrated/America's Test kitchen recommends and they seem to know a thing or two.

Wusthof Classics seems to be nice for the ones I have used. We have a paring and slicer of those that get used all the time.

Anyone have a recommendation for a bread knife and a carving knife? I am planning on getting a Victorinox carving knife.

And Slowman wins for a great trolling on the disc knives.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me the Felt IA16 of kitchen knives [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
About five years ago I bought a kitchenette knife set from Cutco. They are made in USA and are super. They are serrated (except for the paring knife) and perfect for all jobs except cutting vegetables. My mom gave me one of her old Henkel chef knives that covers that duty. 9.75 inch slicer is great for roast beef or prime rib. Other carving duties get handled by the petite carver. But most used knife is the trimmer -- especially for slicing tomatoes as the serrated blade cuts smoothly. If I lost it, I'd pay $70 to get another trimmer pronto.

Cutco gives you lifetime sharpening (I don't want to sharpen serrated blades myself). I've gotten an email that said mine are due for sharpening, but I don't use them daily so I haven't felt a need to send them in.

Cutco knives are simple and no bling, but top quality materials and customer support. Their "packages" are a bit confusing to me. If mine were stolen, I'd immediately order the three knives I mentioned above ($280) individually as I don't use the fork or paring knife much. I have no experience with their chef knife, but I'd try it based on my experience so far.

they actually are not serrated, it is a double d edge (I sold them and still use them)

I also have the home sharpening kit that the reps can use to touch up knives, including the double d edge.

That being said, if anyone really wanted some knives, I could figure out a way to get orders put through and I would give the most amount of money I could off (they use a point system for how they give away free items, and I know how high they will accept before they turn the order down)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.leevalley.com/...40733,40738&ap=1

Only knife you really need. cooked for 15+ years as my only knife. Have a few specialty knives know but this is still my go to. Mine is the original French version, but I have gifted this to friends and they love it.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got this beautiful Japanese knife this week
https://knifewear.com/...age-kumo-bunka-170mm

Quote Reply
Re: Recommend me the Felt IA16 of kitchen knives [TRI2BeFree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRI2BeFree wrote:
I just got this beautiful Japanese knife this week

https://knifewear.com/...age-kumo-bunka-170mm

• Always use a wooden or plastic cutting board. Never cut on bamboo, glass, marble, slate, a plate, china, marble, arborite or anything harder than steel.

Not bamboo?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply

Prev Next