Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Decent road race bike at or around $1000: is it possible? [JeffreyIThink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll jump on your thread and ask if it's possible to get a decent triathlon bike at or around $1000?
Quote Reply
Re: Decent road race bike at or around $1000: is it possible? [JeffreyIThink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes we do for sure.

New 2015 Litespeed M1 Shimano 105 (5800 11-speed) for $1199 shipped - see here: http://www.mybikeshop.com/...5-demo-full-warranty

New 2015 Litespeed M3 w/ Apex for $1099 - see here: http://www.mybikeshop.com/...3-demo-full-warranty

Lightly used 2014 Scott Foil 20 w/ Shimano 105 (listed at $1299 but can offer for $1099 for a fellow STer) - see here - http://www.mybikeshop.com/...0-54cm-free-shipping

The Litespeeds being new come with a full factory warranty as well. If you can swing a bit more, the new 2015 Axino EX with Ultegra 6800 11-speed is a steal at $1299 and the 2011 Trek Madone 6-series is a great deal too. The 2013 Madone 4.7 as well, but then we're a bit above your budget. All bikes come fully certified with free shipping, no tax, and a 30-Day Guarantee as well.

Take a look and feel free to PM me or email to brichards@mybikeshop.com.

Thanks.

brian

more bikes and gear available at:

http://www.mybikeshop.com
sales@mybikeshop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depending on the tools you own and your skill level,be careful of buying a used bike that needs a lot of wear items replaced. Be on the lookout for something that was ridden on the trainer a lot and has sweat down in the headset, check carefully for play in the bottom bracket and wheel bearings, avoid bikes with filthy chains, cables without little end caps, plier marks on bolts, and other indicators of abuse. If you have to drag a bike into the shop to have these items repaired it gets expensive in a hurry, like many hundreds.

On aluminum bikes with internal headsets, be careful of damage to the internal cups that leaves the headset with some play, in that case the frame is shot. Also look carefully for cracks in the welds and parts secured to the frame with rivets coming loose like the FD mount and fractures around the bottle cage mounts.

One indicator of a bike ridden by a real sweat bag is the condition of the bar tape. Some people ride on trainers and sweat so much the bars corrode, avoid bikes like that
Last edited by: jroden: Dec 8, 16 5:37
Quote Reply
Re: Decent road race bike at or around $1000: is it possible? [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought a new Cannondale Synapse for $1,200 three years ago from a LBS. I hadn't done a triathlon yet and I was an ultrarunner but wanted to join my wife and give the tri thing a try. Fell in love with tri and I'm still riding my Synapse and it's got me through 2 IM's, 2 70.3's and an Olympic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a buyer's market for used bikes; therefore, I believe you can find, with a little effort, a great bike for $1k.

If you're limited to a single bike, I would recommend a great road bike over a dedicated tri bike. I know some will disagree but a good road bike will let you train in all kinds of conditions and will be fun to ride.
Last edited by: Catacomb: Dec 8, 16 8:24
Quote Reply
Re: Decent road race bike at or around $1000: is it possible? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Go to your local Cannonade dealer. C-dale was clearing both the Supersix and CAAD12 stuff. I think the CAAD12 105 was around $1300.

Bought a new CAAD12, full 105 on ebay last month for just over $1100. Deals are there to be had. A lot of bike for the money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A tangent to your question that hasn't come up (I have nothing to add to the suggestions)...

By road racing I assume you are doing Crit racing? If that is true then you should consider that most newbies crash in the first few races. The first think we tell the "new guy" is if you aren't financially capable of replacing that bike don't do it.

I get the feeling you are doing this on a shoe string budget. Just a friendly reminder that you could waste the money you spend on a bike 10 minutes into your first race. Been there, done that, which is why I race on a 2008 Allez with the stock wheels that I bought used - its the 4th one I've had, the others all died in a blaze of spokes, handlebars, and body limbs.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a lightly used Felt S-32 for $400 from a local shop. Personally I'd just browse around local shops regularly for deals. Another good place to look is Craigslist, but beware of scams.
Quote Reply
Re: Decent road race bike at or around $1000: is it possible? [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
I'll jump on your thread and ask if it's possible to get a decent triathlon bike at or around $1000?
I've seen about three 2012 P2s go for $1,000 recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JeffreyIThink wrote:
I'm a college-aged club triathlete that mainly focuses on triathlons in the spring and fall. This past season I have really started to excel in the bike leg. With both of those in mind I really want to spend the summer doing some local and state bike races. My only issue is I only have a TT and I'm on a pretty low budget. Is it possible to find a decent road bike ready for racing around the $1000 range? I have no problem with it being used, as long as it's in good shape. I would prefer something with Ultegra or better, but I'm fine with 105. Is this realistic or not even close?

Bought a ton of bikes from BikesDirect in the past. I see they have a couple of sub-$1000 Ultegra 6800 setups. This one looks a little less aggressive but they have other frames to choose from:

http://www.bikesdirect.com/...pro22-road-bikes.htm

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next