Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ADVICE NEEDED: upgrade to Di2 on CD0.1
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Please excuse my ignorance, but I wanted to consult you experts to get some info in-hand before approaching my LBS. I've been doing a ton of reading, but there are a number of things I am still a little unsure about.

I am thinking about changing to a Di2 on my CD0.1. I think it's about time. And then when I get a new bike in a couple years I already have it and can just transfer to a new frame. I currently have stock Vision TriMax cranks and chainrings. I also run a Shimano 10 speed rear cassette. I use Reynolds 66 race wheels and Shimano R500's for training.

My questions:

1. If I'm changing I should just go to 11 speed, right? There's no good reason to keep 10 speed other than to save some money with my current chain and cassette? Do I even have a choice?

2. And I can fit the 11 speed cassette on my current 10 speed wheels, right?

3. I have to change out my chain rings. The Di2 only works with a Shimano group set, right?

4. I would need a BB30 compatible set. Does that limit my ability to transfer this to a new frame in the future? Will I be limited to a BB30?

5. Which Di2? I figured Ultegra is just fine for me, especially because I ride mostly flats.

6. Am I forgetting anything?

Thank you all very much!
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: ADVICE NEEDED: upgrade to Di2 on CD0.1 [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michaer27 wrote:
Hi all,

Please excuse my ignorance, but I wanted to consult you experts to get some info in-hand before approaching my LBS. I've been doing a ton of reading, but there are a number of things I am still a little unsure about.

I am thinking about changing to a Di2 on my CD0.1. I think it's about time. And then when I get a new bike in a couple years I already have it and can just transfer to a new frame. I currently have stock Vision TriMax cranks and chainrings. I also run a Shimano 10 speed rear cassette. I use Reynolds 66 race wheels and Shimano R500's for training.

My questions:

1. If I'm changing I should just go to 11 speed, right? There's no good reason to keep 10 speed other than to save some money with my current chain and cassette? Do I even have a choice?

2. And I can fit the 11 speed cassette on my current 10 speed wheels, right?

Not with those wheels I don't think. Either a wheel change (for both sets), a hybrid cassette (Wheels MFG, Edco, or DSW "hack"), or 10spd Ultegra Di2 are your options.

Quote:
3. I have to change out my chain rings. The Di2 only works with a Shimano group set, right?

No, don't worry about the chainrings at all.

Quote:
4. I would need a BB30 compatible set. Does that limit my ability to transfer this to a new frame in the future? Will I be limited to a BB30?

See above. Don't worry about your crankset, your real issue is your wheels.

Quote:
5. Which Di2? I figured Ultegra is just fine for me, especially because I ride mostly flats.

Ultegra is great

Quote:
6. Am I forgetting anything?

As above, the wheels are the biggest factor in your switching to 11spd.
Quote Reply
Re: ADVICE NEEDED: upgrade to Di2 on CD0.1 [michaer27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One BIG thing you are missing is the year model of your CD0.1 - There are earlier model years where the cable holes in the frame are not large enough to allow the Di2 wires to pass through. I believe the 2014 model year was the first with the new larger holes. My wife had a 2013 and it would not allow internal conversion. You don't want to even think about drilling out those smaller holes.
If I'm wrong here - somebody straighten me out.
Quote Reply
Re: ADVICE NEEDED: upgrade to Di2 on CD0.1 [trimule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I have a 2013 CD0.1 with Di2. That was the first model with Di2.
Quote Reply
Re: ADVICE NEEDED: upgrade to Di2 on CD0.1 [jbholcom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info so far.

Mine is 2014.
Quote Reply
Re: ADVICE NEEDED: upgrade to Di2 on CD0.1 [jbholcom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Purchased frame in 2013 - must have been a 2012 frame! Thanks for the info
Quote Reply