Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Walter Scott Murder [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Slowguy this isn't the time for calm reasoned thinking.

THIS IS THE TIME TO BURN THAT MOTHER DOWN!!!!

When exactly is the time for calm reasoned thinking? It seems like maybe I missed it. Is it only on third Wednesdays of the month, during certain early afternoon hours, or something like that? Seems like the time for calm reasoned thinking is constantly shrinking.

I have to agree with you. Burning the mutha down is exactly why BLM is a joke now. They turned a movement into a moment with outrageous behavior that pretty much devolved into mob violence and opportunistic looting. Whatever legitimacy they had in the initial years is gone. It also doesn't help their movement was race based when what little data we have shows that police are just as like to shoot a white man as a black man.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Re: Walter Scott Murder [malte] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
malte wrote:
gregtryin wrote:
rob2681 wrote:
MF'ing police shot that man in the back 5 times while he was running away and there's a mistrial. All on video. Fuck that. That one hurt deep. Our lives don't matter. The criminal justice system is so fucked up in the USA.

Over react much???

The cop isn't walking. He was 'saved' by one apparently unreasonable juror and he is going to be tried again. Nothing is 'fucked up'.

Calm down, he will get nailed. You can bet on it. Everybody saw the video.

Greg

How much will the re-trial cost? Is this a good use of tax-payer money?

Cheers,
malte

We've got the same thing going on here in Cincinnati. We had a thread on it here at the time, a University of Cincinnati cop pulled over a guy for not having a front license plate. When the suspect (who was later found to have a lot of cash on him but no gun) tried to pull away the officer shot and killed him. The first trial ended a couple of weeks ago with a hung jury; the date for the retrial is pending. It's pretty clear the officer is guilty, but whether it is murder or homicide was what the jurors got hung up on (8-4 guilty on murder, 3-9 not guilty on homicide IIRC).

Video of the stop:

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Walter Scott Murder [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
It's pretty clear the officer is guilty,

It wasn't pretty clear to the people who saw all of the evidence during trial. 8-4 and 9-3 is pretty strong evidence those people were not convinced.
Quote Reply
Re: Walter Scott Murder [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
TheForge wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
TheForge wrote:
Our lives? Do you mean blacks or anybody not wearing a badge? Because the wrong answer is the first one. If a cop shoots you down, they will likely walk no matter what your color is.

Seems like it would be easy enough to compile if cops are convicted/acquitted at similar rates when they are charged with a crime for shooting whites/blacks but I didn't find anything in a quick google search.

Um, we discusses this. Police shootings aren't exactly tracked in a consistent manner, and almost never include the race. This was the center of a big WaPo piece around the time this shooting happened. The link below is the most comprehensive database on such matters.

Some argue it is by design the information is fragmented.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.fec6d727b1c8

If a trial occurs, which is what I was referring too, I would think the data would be available. I'm pretty sure every police shooting trial would have local news coverage at a minimum.

There may not be enough convictions to get statistically significant data. Because they all get off.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...fca2e4b055b31398fb07
. Since 2005, just under 80 officers have been charged with murder or manslaughter resulting from police-involved shootings, according to data compiled by Philip Stinson, an associate professor of criminology at Ohio’s Bowling Green State University. Police kill around 1,000 people each year in on-duty shootings, according to Stinson’s estimate, meaning the overwhelming majority of these incidents don’t make it to trial. When they do, juries and judges have shown a reluctance to rule against police. Fewer than 30 of the charged officers have been convicted ― with only one convicted of murder. A number of other cases are still pending and the rest have ended in non-convictions, either through acquittal or dismissal.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Walter Scott Murder [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
justgeorge wrote:
It's pretty clear the officer is guilty,

It wasn't pretty clear to the people who saw all of the evidence during trial. 8-4 and 9-3 is pretty strong evidence those people were not convinced.

No, it means they weren't convinced of WHAT he was guilty of. Although one of the jurors after the trial said that he could never vote to convict a police officer. Jury breakdown was 6 white men, 4 white women, and 2 black women.

Other shenanigans that took place during the trial:
1) When the jurors travelled to see the site of the shooting, they were in vans with dark tinted windows. Someone with a BLM shirt on was waiting at the site so he could video the jurors; the jurors didn't leave the vans.
2) A local news agency filed to have the responses to the juror questionnaires made public (with names, etc redacted). The jurors refused to come back from break until that request was withdrawn.
3) An alternate juror was removed after she said she feared for her safety.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Walter Scott Murder [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Probably for the same reason I can't find who was arrested in that recent mississippi church burning.

I don't think that any one was arrested for that church burning.
Quote Reply
Re: Walter Scott Murder [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Quote:
Probably for the same reason I can't find who was arrested in that recent mississippi church burning.

I don't think that any one was arrested for that church burning.

There was a "person of interest" who's identity isn't being released.

We just don't know anymore than that. There is NO FOLLOW UP at all on that story.

There just doesn't seemed to be much curiosity. You'd think the police and press would want to get to the bottom of this most heinous "hate crime".

Interdasting.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Walter Scott Murder [Old Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Old Hickory wrote:
gregtryin wrote:
Old Hickory wrote:
gregtryin wrote:
Everybody saw the video.

This is the thinking I don't get.

Yes, we saw the video the news shows wanted us to see. But we didn't see all the evidence the jury was presented. From what I know there was a car chase, the stop, the escape, the foot chase, the capture, the fight, the tasering, the next escape, and then the gunshots to the back.

Now, I understand the officer staged the scene and told some far fetched stories to cover his tracks but to say "we saw the video" is to say you saw the final few minutes of Tora, Tora, Tora and you're sure the Japanese were innocently attacked.

Okay, give me a scenario that legitimizes shooting an unarmed guy in the back that is running away from the officer and presents no threat to the officer or other citizens. Maybe you have a hypothetical, but I haven't come up with one yet. Help me out.

Greg

No. You want me to do what you're doing and I won't. I try not to make decisions based on some limited information. I know, call me crazy.

No. I want you to give me a hypothetical scenario that would justify what happened. I think everyone agrees he was unarmed and fleeing. I believe the standard for use of deadly force is imminent threat of severe injury or death. I am not seeing either possibility in the video.

Don't get me wrong, I am very pro-2A and have a CCP. I know that this cop is dealing with a different scenario than I will ever deal with, but it was a cop that taught my CCP class and the threat of severe bodily harm or death was the circumstance that legitimized killing another. Try as I might, I am having a hard time justifying what happened. The possibility of him being a threat to the general public is the only thing that I can come up with.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Walter Scott Murder [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think everyone agrees he was unarmed and fleeing. I believe the standard for use of deadly force is imminent threat of severe injury or death. I am not seeing either possibility in the video.

There's also a fleeing felon standard in some states, which would allow you to shoot if the possibility of the felon causing serious injury or death after escaping is very high. (A serial killer running for the cop, for example.) But I don't think that applies in this case, either.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Walter Scott Murder [gregtryin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtryin wrote:
Try as I might, I am having a hard time justifying what happened.

Well then, why not wait for the evidence? That was my initial point.

Okay, so a guy is shot in the back from a few feet as he was running away. What all happened before that?

So okay, Jimmy Doolitlle and his squadron bomb the shit out of unarmed people in Tokyo. What all happened before that?
Quote Reply

Prev Next