Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let's see your favorite trainer workout [JeffreyIThink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess mine is kind of boring actually. I like the predictability of the trainer for longer workouts. Really looking forward to a 60 minute progressive tempo. Starting in z3 and working up to z5a every 10 minutes for a workout average in z4
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your favorite trainer workout [hutchy_belfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you test your FTP? Also what %ftp do you usually hit your second 20 min interval?

90 mins at 90% FTP is pretty tough too... what is that TSS?
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your favorite trainer workout [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
How do you test your FTP? Also what %ftp do you usually hit your second 20 min interval?

Tough but not that tough if you're used to pushing watts. TR has some great workouts (Phoenix comes to mind) where you are pushing 85-90% for 80 min or so, with fluxations of 15 or so watts in 5-8 min chunks.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your favorite trainer workout [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leegoocrap wrote:
Only done this one once so far, looking forward to dreading seeing it again.

10' warmup
Starting at high z2/low z3 every 5' add 5 watts. Continue until failure. Don't wuss out.

2x20's done as over/unders is a fun one too.

I find that first one strangely appealing.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your favorite trainer workout [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:
holograham wrote:

Tough but not that tough if you're used to pushing watts. TR has some great workouts (Phoenix comes to mind) where you are pushing 85-90% for 80 min or so, with fluxations of 15 or so watts in 5-8 min chunks.

I use trainer road and have done Phoenix and polar bear. They are actually 80-85% and I consider them some of the toughest in TR. it's really the fact that it enforces no rest. I consider 80-85% significantly more doable than 90-92% for 90 mins straight. I can't even fathom that for 4 days in a row. Maybe 1 or two times but I'd be toast after that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
anthonypat wrote:
holograham wrote:

I use trainer road and have done Phoenix and polar bear. They are actually 80-85% and I consider them some of the toughest in TR. it's really the fact that it enforces no rest. I consider 80-85% significantly more doable than 90-92% for 90 mins straight. I can't even fathom that for 4 days in a row. Maybe 1 or two times but I'd be toast after that.

You are right, Its more 85%-ish. My indoor ftp is set at 273 and I ride a little hotter than I should but I like the 15 watt chunks...I think for me it really helps dial in effort when your riding a dumb trainer at 220, 225, 240, 215. I just look at the small intervals and take the slight rest when I can.

I have a Hammer coming in a week so it will be interesting to see how the ERG mode will relate to the subtle wattage changes in Polar Bear and Phoenix.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've usually done a 25m TT recently enough to have a tight range or in winter I treat myself (!) to a 1h TT on the turbo periodically.
90mins at 90% is tough but the easiest of the above listed sessions for me but I seem to have a very flat power curve.
Usually if fresh I can hit 100% for the second 20, occasionally, probably if FTP is on the rise I can go a % or two over.

I think the main point I was trying to get across was that if you are trying to drive progress, you need to consider what energy system or process you are stressing.
There is a school of thought that says if you are doing intervals below 20mins they should pretty much be at FTP+ or at least done where the rest interval is at an intensity that keeps the NP sufficiently high.
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your favorite trainer workout [Gskalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gskalt wrote:
The Sufferfest - Nine Hammers

word.

that is a tough workout. i've been doing a bunch of the sufferfest workouts lately and they're all tough workouts, but 9 hammers is prob my favorite.

the rookie (race sim, 3x10), hell hath no fury (2x20), there is no try (ladder-ish), and angels (climbing) deserve honorable mentions.

oh, and the wretched...maybe i was tired, but that one kicked my butt...i'd probably mute the beginning part with the band, though. bad
Last edited by: d00d: Dec 23, 16 6:03
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your favorite trainer workout [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
Gskalt wrote:
The Sufferfest - Nine Hammers

word.

that is a tough workout. i've been doing a bunch of the sufferfest workouts lately and they're all tough workouts, but 9 hammers is prob my favorite.

the rookie (race sim, 3x10), hell hath no fury (2x20), there is no try (ladder-ish), and angels (climbing) deserve honorable mentions.

oh, and the wretched...maybe i was tired, but that one kicked my butt.

word! havent heard that expression in a while. lol! nine hammers is tough but for me, i prefer the intervals to the long ass constant grinds. the rookie is another one i like. i want to try thin air soon. my first video was Revolver, thats a tough one. there is no try is great too. do as your told, that hurt like a mother f*cker.

i'm going to get back into at least 1 of these per week plus a longer z2 ish ride along with some other trainer road stuff to build up for next season. i want to get my FTP higher (obviously). my training last year got me more comfortable with climbs, had 2 pretty hard races last year with some climbing, but this year is one shorter one with climbs and a very flat 70.3, so for that, i'd like to be able to go faster without killing myself for the run
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your favorite trainer workout [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LT
50-70 minutes worth of intervals at 102-103% FTP
ie 7x9 minutes hard 3 minutes easy

2x20 minutes 90-95% FTP off season, closer to 100% during buildip phases

VO2max
3x(9-10 30sec hard 30sec easy)
6-8x4minutes hard 4minutes ez at vo2max pace (8-10 minute power)
Quote Reply
Re: Let's see your favorite trainer workout [JeffreyIThink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like doing a pyramid:

15 min w/u
1 min Z3, 1 min recover
2 min Z3, 2min recover
3 min Z3, 3 min recover
4 min Z3, 4 min recover
5 min Z3, 5 min recover
4 min Z3, 4 min recover
3 min Z3, 3 min recover