Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Heart Rate and speed poll for the mid-40s men only [mblocher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's see...

42/140 or so lbs, 5'8"

Last week I did a hard 8min climb on the bike and saw 184. I regularly see 180s when running hard, mid 170s when riding hard.

At Buffalo Springs 70.3 (the last race I had HR on all 3):
Swim: 159 for 29 or so minutes
Bike: 156 for a 2:17 split
Run: 170 for the half..heat was partly due for the 170...likely adding 5 bpm for the PE.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate and speed poll for the mid-40s men only [mblocher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Turning 43 next month. I've done some form of endurance exercise since I was about 12, started Tri aged 18 in '92; after a 10 yr hiatus doing HA mountaineering, I started back at Tri in '07.

My HR has always been low. At Uni on the treadmill I tested at 73.1 ml/kg VO2 and 183 MHR. Today that MHR is more like 175, although I've not gone above 170 in years (10km open run 155-165). The bike is my 'weakest' discipline; anything above 150 and I'm seeing stars. In the swim (when I used to have a Polar) my MHR in an event is generally the start of an event, with my HR hitting around 155 for the opening minutes of an Ironman:

Av HR
Sprint/Oly: Swim (145) Bike (135) Run (150-60)
HIM: Swim (140) Bike (125) Run (140)
IM: Swim (135) Bike 120) Run (130)

In training, I can run steady rolling 8min/miles at around 120.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not quite mid forties, only just hit the big four-oh this weekend. But I'd expect to hit your HR in a threshold run session, let alone a race.

You lot have lazy hearts ! ;-) I regularly top 200 and the last time I ran hard enough to hit close to my HRmax I hit about 208. Back in 2011 I hit 214 (aged 35 I guess) in one hard race, so I don't put much stock in the old 220-age bollocks!!

Not been fit for a couple of years, but most recent sprint tri that I have HR data for was in 2014 - run leg. 19:27 (6:16 pace), average HR 188, HRmax 200.
https://connect.garmin.com/...n/activity/581022572

Just for fun here is the fell running race I did back in 2011. Average HR 198 including ramping up at the start. You can see the bit where I hit 214 at the end - a mate from the club was about 30 yards up ahead and I was desperate to catch him!!!
https://connect.garmin.com/...rn/activity/79959716

Not worried about it, my resting HR when fit is probably 45 or something. I just happen to have the heart of an excited hummingbird. Don't sweat it, I say.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate and speed poll for the mid-40s men only [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have the fast beating heart of a shrew, whereas mine is of the Lion.

That's the reason I cited my exercise history going back to aged 12 - it's going to influence physiological development.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
145-150lbs, 5'8", 44 years old

MaxHR 185-190 only seen playing ice-hockey, in cycling or running going over 170 is very seldom, specially since I train for long distance.

Anyhow, I did a sprint recently and have following values:

Swim: Ave 149 / max 159, pace 1.24/100m LCM
Bike: Ave 164 / max 170, 25mph, NP 280W
Run: Ave 169 / max 176, 5.59 min/mile
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
45, healthy clydesdale. Been riding and racing since early 20s, with a few longer breaks.

Last night was a max 189 and average 146 for a zwift group ride/race. The average is about normal for me. The max is a bit high, which has been a trend I've noticed since doing some of the group rides that end with mini races, which is more intensity than I normally do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had an ablation for A-fib in Sept 2013 and my HR's are lower across the board. Full recovery in terms and power and speed, just a little lower HR. Resting is a few beats higher.
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate and speed poll for the mid-40s men only [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Those of you with episodes of afib - damn! That pathology scares the heck out of me!

Afib is a nasty character as we age: poor management = CHF, high stroke risk and high bleeding risk (depending on anticoagulant chosen.). Morbidity city.

As to original question
There is huge variation in HR and it's not very meaningful comparing to others. Cardiac output is simply stroke volume x HR, so a smaller volume left ventricle tends to beat faster to achieve the same output as a larger one.
If a valve is slightly leaky, again, it's a faster rate to achieve similar output.

So 155bpm and 195bpm could both be 20 l/min of cardiac output.

At 46, I hit 178 on a bike and 186 running. Running always 8 to 10bpm higher for similar effort. If u have a lower run HR than bike HR, I'd guess something other than HR is limiting how hard you can push when running
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If "MY" numbers were like those, I'd believe that my aerobic base needed a lot of work...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Age 43
Weight 154lbs
Height 5'8

Average HR

All out 5k 175bpm, hit 188bpm a few weeks back. 6:45/mile

10 mile run AVG 144 @ 8:18 with some hills.

Sprint Tri - Average HR 168+ (not sure on times)

Last Olympic - 22mph bike (165 avg), 7:27 run (166avg)

Last HIM - Bike 22.1mph @ 158bpm AVG, 8:11/mile @ 162bpm

Thanks

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're fine.

I'm 41, 5'11'', 175, and I hit 194 on a Thanksgiving day 5k. And during sprints/olympics I was well over 180 during the run portion of the race. Some people just have higher HRs/higher thresholds. And, during steelhead I actually averaged 171 during the half marathon. It hurt bad and I was in bad shape after the race, but it's a race. I'm okay suffering a little bit.
Quote Reply

Prev Next