Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ammonia Sweat in the AM
Quote | Reply
I work out in the early morning, but usually, after an hour or so, my sweat has an ammonia quality. My understanding is that this is a byproduct of protein (read, muscle) being broken down for fuel. Definitely not an ideal situation.

My problem is that 5AM is pretty much the only time I have to train. I eat a carb-rich oatmeal breakfast and try to wait 15-20 minutes before beginning, but it would seem I'm not supplying enough glycogen to the muscles.

Any recommendations? Should I try high-sugar foods at night? Drink a ton of Gatorade at breakfast? Ignore it?
Quote Reply
Re: Ammonia Sweat in the AM [IronTaint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With an iron taint, I'm surprised you're worried about a mere smell in the shower.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Add more carbs to your dinner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Likely a picture of you overall dietary mix if it is happening regularly and a morning intake will not meet demand. This happens to me when I am watching intake from a total caloric perspective with the goal of trying to cut or maintain weight at worse. The issue is exacerbated with lower carb diets (diets being used here in the traditional sense).

Simplified Ex:

40/30/30 diet with daily intake at 3000 calories for a even (in/out) calorie/day....Carbs (1200 calories)

Rest assured (pun intended) when you go to bed you are already sufficiently lean on carb stores and come morning a little more leaner.

What works for me is as total calories get close to or fall short of daily burn I need to richen up the mix, i.e. more carbs in the ratio. This can be done throughout the day of slightly loaded in the evening if next day's morning workout is higher intensity. A 60% mix on carbs usually does it with the usual caveats of intensity, overall volumes, timing of intake...

When I do hard trainer intervals in the morning I generally take in a gu mid-workout as well. FWIW, once I get into a peak training cycle, running a caloric deficit or leaning the mix ends up in ketosis. Take this as a cool science experiment on yourself. Disclaimer: if you are diabetic seek a professional consult.

Of course this time of year my diet is sH$% so no need to change anything as carbs are plentiful:)
Quote Reply
Re: Ammonia Sweat in the AM [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
With an iron taint, I'm surprised you're worried about a mere smell in the shower.

Let's all be honest. Nobody likes a smelly taint.
Quote Reply
Re: Ammonia Sweat in the AM [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
Likely a picture of you overall dietary mix if it is happening regularly and a morning intake will not meet demand. This happens to me when I am watching intake from a total caloric perspective with the goal of trying to cut or maintain weight at worse. The issue is exacerbated with lower carb diets (diets being used here in the traditional sense).

Simplified Ex:

40/30/30 diet with daily intake at 3000 calories for a even (in/out) calorie/day....Carbs (1200 calories)

Rest assured (pun intended) when you go to bed you are already sufficiently lean on carb stores and come morning a little more leaner.

What works for me is as total calories get close to or fall short of daily burn I need to richen up the mix, i.e. more carbs in the ratio. This can be done throughout the day of slightly loaded in the evening if next day's morning workout is higher intensity. A 60% mix on carbs usually does it with the usual caveats of intensity, overall volumes, timing of intake...

When I do hard trainer intervals in the morning I generally take in a gu mid-workout as well. FWIW, once I get into a peak training cycle, running a caloric deficit or leaning the mix ends up in ketosis. Take this as a cool science experiment on yourself. Disclaimer: if you are diabetic seek a professional consult.

Of course this time of year my diet is sH$% so no need to change anything as carbs are plentiful:)

I'll try a Gu tomorrow morning. It seems that between my oatmeal, juice, and Gatorade, I should be getting enough carbs before the workout. It might be that they aren't getting to the muscles in time to do any good, though I'd think the juice and Gatorade would.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronTaint wrote:
I'll try a Gu tomorrow morning. It seems that between my oatmeal, juice, and Gatorade, I should be getting enough carbs before the workout. It might be that they aren't getting to the muscles in time to do any good, though I'd think the juice and Gatorade would.
The oatmeal will slow down absorption of the simple carbs. Maybe try to substitute toast & jam or something similar for the oatmeal? And depending on how long you train, energy drink or gel(s) during.

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your body composition like? I wonder if a body carrying a lot of muscle decides that the muscle has to go when you are doing things that don't like all that muscle (e.g. distance running). I had that ammonia sweat smell often a number of years ago and it did not seem to be related to diet. I was, however, carrying about 30lbs of muscle mass that has since gone away.
Quote Reply
Re: Ammonia Sweat in the AM [MVM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MVM wrote:
What is your body composition like? I wonder if a body carrying a lot of muscle decides that the muscle has to go when you are doing things that don't like all that muscle (e.g. distance running). I had that ammonia sweat smell often a number of years ago and it did not seem to be related to diet. I was, however, carrying about 30lbs of muscle mass that has since gone away.

I wish my problem were too much muscle! I'm 15 pounds over my race weight. Took a year off and am now trying to get my slovenly carcass in shape again. I got the ammonia smell even back when my composition was around 10-12%, but I'm almost twice that right now.

I would think ingesting liquid simple carbs would get into the bloodstream faster and be useful, but maybe the oatmeal is slowing that down, too. Maybe I should swing the pendulum the other way and just drink juices in the mornings for a week and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think a 15-20 pre-load is going to solve the problem, reread my post.

You will likely need to adjust the mix and/or total intake the day(s) before. This goes double if you are trying to shed weight and are running a daily deficit.

If muscle glycogen stores are significantly down in the morning from a daily deficit, a bolus hit 15 minutes before the workout will only go so far and at that intake will likely take away from a workout or cause distress (blood needed to digest food).

If you are pushing on low stores your body doesn't wait until stores are zero to start shifting the fuel mix. If you are not comfortable working this out to get a good balanced daily plan I would seek out a quick consult with a sports nutritionist/dietitian, it is easy math.

You will be amazed on what you can do with a plan that services your daily training routine goals and still allows you to loose weight. It actual makes for a more tolerable diet (some would argue more effective as well) for many as it changes day to day based on specifics of training intensity, duration, recovery... Deficit is based on weekly total versus daily, so you can tune intake to daily training demand.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
90 minutes for oatmeal digestion without exercise stressing the digestive system. You are getting minimal benefit eating oats that close to exercise. Gels are much faster.

https://www.freetrainers.com/...various-foods-33135/
Quote Reply