Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Galveston, just register. What to expect ?
Quote | Reply
I heard that bike is always windy and flat. What else ??
Disc ?
Wetsuit ?
hot ?

TKS
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Galveston, just register. What to expect ? [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Protected / decent swim, windy bike, hot run. That's how it was for me last year.

Personally I wouldn't ride a disc due to the normal winds. Humidity guaranteed, heat (80's) likely. My power numbers on the bike were about 20W lower than expected due to the humidity / heat. I want to say that it's typically wetsuit legal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it twice. Swim was wetsuit legal one year, not the next. I rode a disc/90 both years. Windy both years but I had no issues. The run is my favorite 70.3 run. Lots of crowds cheering, 3 loops, plenty of nutrition opportunity, and great views. Plan for a hot run.

1*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
done it 3 years now and disc is for sure unless you want to go slower. there is cross winds but they are steady and in my opinion the disc does not affect handling anyway.

The only year it was non-wetsuit was 2 years ago when the race was late April. I am 99% sure it will be wetsuit this year.

Run is not really hot per se but with humidity it is tough. Pray for cloud cover as 2 out of the 3 years I melted.

Other than that it is my favorite race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race with tons of solid competition. Ride the disc 110%. The average yaw is crazy high even for the fasties, unlike any other 70.3 you'll ever see.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree it's 99.9% likely to be wetsuit legal on that early date.

Definitely go with the disc, it's the front wheel depth that matters. I race at 140lbs and use a 60mm + disc on that course, they've been fine even in the windier years. The winds are generally very steady, not gusty. So I personally wouldn't alter any wheel choices for this one.

It's a good race. Logistically very easy, easy on spectators, fast course with mostly smooth roads. If you're FOP be aware the awards go 5 deep at this one, which is somewhat uncommon for a 70.3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done it 5 times. Each time was wetsuit legal. I'm ~150 lbs, and most years I used a 404/808. Last year in preparation for IMTX I planned to use a 808/disc, but based on the big crosswind, opted for the 404/disc instead. After going for a quick gear check ride on Saturday, was glad I stuck with the 404/disc set up since I had never ridden the 808/disc even in training. If you're used to it though, might not bee too bad. Race Day Wheels is at this event and I recommend their service.

Be careful as you're approaching and leaving the big bridge as the road is very rough with several large potholes and cracks. Other than this though, the route is very smooth. Very simple and crazy flat. If you're in a later wave, can be a bother with passing as there aren't any hills to break up the packs.

DO NOT try to swim the swim course before hand, and be wary of getting in to warmup the morning of the race as there are lots of oyster shells and you can slice your feet badly. Swim can be choppy. At the swim exit, continue swimming until your hands touch the carpet under the water. Standing up prior to this could result in cut feet. If you're staying at the moody gardens hotel (highly recommended for convenience, especially if you're bringing the family) they have an indoor lap pool you can use the day before to get a quick pre-race swim in. But, make a reservation NOW since it will sell out. It's a bit expensive, but for the convenience of it all, it's great. The fam can hang out in the heated outdoor pool while you're on the bike.

I enjoy the run course since there is so much crowd support and I don't mind loops. But if you don't like loops, you won't enjoy it. it can get crowded on some of the out and back sections, but if you have a lot of friends and teammates, this is cool since you get to see everyone.

If you're driving from/through Houston from the Dallas area or from either airport, be prepared for nasty traffic in the NASA area.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Galveston, just register. What to expect ? [BGNole97] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The traffic on I-45 near NASA may improve by race day as all of the construction is almost done.
Quote Reply