Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NHL - good for this guy
Quote | Reply
I was at a NHL game a few years ago when the starting goalie got hurt and then the backup went down for a few mins. I looked at my wife and jokingly said here's my chance to play in the NHL. If they accept my beer league hockey resume I may get to suit up. Although historically it's the goalie coach that puts the gear on the fact that if both goalies get hurt they can sign virtually anyone to fill in at the time is great.

http://6abc.com/...rs-saturday/1639284/

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: NHL - good for this guy [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That seems to happen a few times every season. Vancouver called up the UBC goalie earlier this year. I don't remember seeing the teams goalie coach dressed on the bench, but have seen local uni / college goalies and unaffiliated semi-pros. It always makes for a good local story. I would like to see some of these teams actually let these guys play for a few minutes, especially if the game is out of hand.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Re: NHL - good for this guy [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blackhawks coach said he thought about it in the second and would've put him in at the end had the Flyers scored on empty net.
I think the Panthers dressed their goalie coach a few years ago and maybe 2 other teams. In each case it was a former NHL goalie.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too bad this never happened in Colorado when Roy was coaching. How great would it have been to see him in full goalie pads and still standing on the bench coaching?

I am laughing just thinking about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember the Minnesota Wild doing this a few years ago where they had a beer league goalie on the bench as an emergency backup, got to take a few pucks during warmups. He got to keep his jersey and ball cap that he wore on the bench during the game. Pretty cool stuff!

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: NHL - good for this guy [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe it came up for discussion last year too with a visiting team. If I remember correctly, the home team GM is responsible for having a list of "on-call" goaltenders or something like that. I could also be making this up, but it seems plausible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skinny wrote:
That seems to happen a few times every season. Vancouver called up the UBC goalie earlier this year. I don't remember seeing the teams goalie coach dressed on the bench, but have seen local uni / college goalies and unaffiliated semi-pros. It always makes for a good local story. I would like to see some of these teams actually let these guys play for a few minutes, especially if the game is out of hand.

Sort of related, but Andrew Hammond, Ottawa's backup goalie, got his start after being buried in the minor leagues. 2 goalies go down and he gets his start for an NHL franchise. He ends up going 20-1-2 and signs his big league contract.
Last edited by: timbasile: Dec 5, 16 10:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skinny wrote:

Yeah, this probably happens a couple times a year somewhere around the NHL so novelty has kind of worn out in terms of a truely unique human interest story...BUT.....can you imagine if one of these backups actually goes down to injury during the game and Joe-Shmo- Beer Leaguer has to go in !!!!??? HAHA...Now THAT would be a story !! (And I think it'll happen some day) Just imagine....1-1 tie Habs vs Sens in the second and Mtl tender goes down and carried off on stretcher and out comes 40 yearold beer leaguer Jean-Guy Boot and a minute later Mike Hoffman is left alone in the high slot...?!!? lol...Guaranteed Jean- Guy dives for cover ..haha
Last edited by: shady: Dec 5, 16 13:01
Quote Reply
Re: NHL - good for this guy [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
skinny wrote:

Yeah, this probably happens a couple times a year somewhere around the NHL so novelty has kind of worn out in terms of a truely unique human interest story...BUT.....can you imagine if one of these backups actually goes down to injury during the game and Joe-Shmo- Beer Leaguer has to go in !!!!??? HAHA...Now THAT would be a story !! (And I think it'll happen some day) Just imagine....1-1 tie Habs vs Sens in the second and Mtl tender goes down and carried off on stretcher and out comes 40 yearold beer leaguer Jean-Guy Boot and a minute later Mike Hoffman is left alone in the high slot...?!!? lol...Guaranteed Jean- Guy dives for cover ..haha

I would love to see the beer league goalie in there. But no way he's diving for cover. I played in net for 12 years as a kid (last year played was provincial junior). Not once was I ever scared of a being hurt by a shot, no matter how hard. IMO, fear of the puck isn't in a goalie's mindset at any level.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL - good for this guy [Runningwithbees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runningwithbees wrote:
I believe it came up for discussion last year too with a visiting team. If I remember correctly, the home team GM is responsible for having a list of "on-call" goaltenders or something like that. I could also be making this up, but it seems plausible.

Every team has someone on a list. Here (Preds) when the team when down with food poisoning in late October, they actually had Chris Mason (former Pred goalie, current analyst) bring his stuff in and be ready in case our #3 couldn't get here in time since both Pekka and Maz were sick but Maz rallied and Juse got to Nashville so Mason did broadcast instead.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: NHL - good for this guy [Ringmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I would love to see the beer league goalie in there. But no way he's diving for cover. I played in net for 12 years as a kid (last year played was provincial junior). Not once was I ever scared of a being hurt by a shot, no matter how hard. IMO, fear of the puck isn't in a goalie's mindset at any level.

I'd even say the heavier the shot the more fun it is. Only time it really hurts is out of position and you get hit somewhere there's little to no padding. Five hole but I think the pants I have were made that way to add injury to insult.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happened again last night with Carolina Hurricanes equipment manager being pressed into service at last minute as a backup, and he actually got in the game for the last few seconds. Also did his regular equipment manager duties (including sharpening skates) in full goalie gear during the game. How awesome is that?

https://www.nhl.com/...hl-debut/c-285212858

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same thing in Edmonton UofA has had at least one goalie dress for the Oilers. CIS is not concerned that one of athletes took a 1 or 2 day part time job.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brian in MA wrote:
Happened again last night with Carolina Hurricanes equipment manager being pressed into service at last minute as a backup, and he actually got in the game for the last few seconds. Also did his regular equipment manager duties (including sharpening skates) in full goalie gear during the game. How awesome is that?

https://www.nhl.com/...hl-debut/c-285212858

Very cool

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story from last nights Hawks-Jets game, accountant/beer league goalie gets pressed into action and plays in third period, stopping all seven shots including Patrick Laine. Only in the NHL.

https://www.nhl.com/...477604?tid=277548856

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
awesome

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you’re good enough that you’re on the emergency list I feel like, the crowd would get you to play about 10 levels over your head. That would just be awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL - good for this guy [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention the Blackhawks players had to be really selling out for him too. They had a good lead, late in the game at home. With the way this year has gone for the Blackhawks it was probably something for the players to rally around for those thirteen minutes or so.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: NHL - good for this guy [shady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shady wrote:
skinny wrote:

And your vision happened.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you were gonna post about Kincaid:
https://nypost.com/...tionship-on-twitter/

Yeah once every couple of years you have a story about an emergency backup goalie - an accountant, they're always accountants for some reason - getting a period or even a game of NHL play. Always makes me smile, as a long-time player and current beer-leaguer it's a dream that'll never be reached for me but I'm glad some working stiff's get to have that experience for a night.
Quote Reply
Re: NHL - good for this guy [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no doubt. I played in HS and college, if you had a situation like this, I know everyone on the team would be throwing everything they had to make sure he got the win. Not only that but this could have been a horrible story if Winnipeg lit him up like a Christmas tree. No one wants that to happen to him.

It was awhile back I think that this happened in Vancouver and the goalie stayed in because he didn’t want throw the guy into that situation and get pelted all game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is probably why the NHL made the rule that all home teams must have a backup goalie available for both teams at all games. Gives the goalies/teams peace of mind that if something crazy happens, you aren't throwing in someone who has no idea what they are getting into. I am guessing most, like the Chicago guy, had some high level college/Canadian junior playing time and continue to play in rec leagues. It would still suck if it is a playoff type influencing game.

But now that guy will have stories, a game worn jersey, etc... for the rest of his life. Not to mention an actual contract with the Blackhawks!

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: NHL - good for this guy [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I think he did get lucky that it was Winnipeg and killing themselves for a win didn’t change anything. Not that they backed off but If it was the Avs like tonight or any of those bottom four teams in the West playoff race they would have smelled blood and threw everything at him they could think of.

Winnipeg doesn’t have much to gain by killing themselves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Yeah I think he did get lucky that it was Winnipeg and killing themselves for a win didn’t change anything. Not that they backed off but If it was the Avs like tonight or any of those bottom four teams in the West playoff race they would have smelled blood and threw everything at him they could think of.

Winnipeg doesn’t have much to gain by killing themselves.

Sure,

But if I didn’t know the story or his name, and was just watching...for those 14 minutes he looked like an nhl goalie.

Any thoughts if he would consider moving to Vancouver?

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: NHL - good for this guy [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOVE IT !!!!

Hockey probably is my favorite pro sport but hands down this is my absolute favorite thing in all sports.

As a former beer league goalie that was my dream.

Quote Reply