Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Conspiracy Theories [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Duffy wrote:
kiki wrote:
it's the natural outcome of a glut of fake news. There's no need ever to take in a contradictory opinion.

So you're blaming The Onion?

I hear Ruth Ginsburg is climbing K2.

And Carhartt is selling a work thong.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Conspiracy Theories [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
kiki wrote:
it's the natural outcome of a glut of fake news. There's no need ever to take in a contradictory opinion.

Don't act stupid, like you don't know the difference between attempts to BS and satire. Oh, wait, I'm not sure you do know the difference.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Conspiracy Theories [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Duffy wrote:
kiki wrote:

Don't act stupid, like you don't know the difference between attempts to BS and satire. Oh, wait, I'm not sure you do know the difference.

Apparently you don't know the difference.

I present to you exhibit A. ^^^^^^^^^^^^

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Conspiracy Theories [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So Trump's national security advisor pick, Gen. Flynn, tweeted about this fake story days before the election:

Quote:
U decide - NYPD Blows Whistle on New Hillary Emails: Money Laundering, Sex Crimes w Children, etc...MUST READ! http://truepundit.com/breaking-bombshell-nypd-blows-whistle-on-new-hillary-emails-money-laundering-sex-crimes-with-children-child-exploitation-pay-to-play-perjury/ …

Following the shooting in the pizza joint, his son (who was his father's Chief of Staff, and appears to have gotten a position within the Trump admin-to-be) tweeted this gem:

Quote:
Until #Pizzagate proven to be false, it'll remain a story. The left seems to forget #PodestaEmails and the many "coincidences" tied to it. https://twitter.com/jackposobiec/status/805559273426141184 …

Is there any accountability for spreading this BS?

Trump is really surrounding himself with the best people.

http://www.nytimes.com/...ke-news-clinton.html

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
klehner wrote:
Duffy wrote:
kiki wrote:

What? I'm confused. Help me here???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's either a worrying level of cynicism or a worrying lack of critical thinking skills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For your own mental health I strongly encourage you to unplug your tv and refrain from reading any news for the next 4 to 8 years.

I'm worried about you.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Conspiracy Theories [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
Depends on the "fake news". Slander and libel are treated differently in the US than Europe, but you can still get into trouble with them.

Strawman argument. Imagine if someone was to put up a story about how a mayor was a KKK member and had personally seen them lynch multiple people and the cops won't touch them because they are all part of it. Would that author of that story be protected by the 1st amendment if some vigilante started taking action?

Was it reckless and intentional? Was it mere opinion? Was it a mistake?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
torrey wrote:
Depends on the "fake news". Slander and libel are treated differently in the US than Europe, but you can still get into trouble with them.

Strawman argument. Imagine if someone was to put up a story about how a mayor was a KKK member and had personally seen them lynch multiple people and the cops won't touch them because they are all part of it. Would that author of that story be protected by the 1st amendment if some vigilante started taking action?

I'm not sure, but wouldn't that fall under libel laws? Do they require the wronged person to press charges?

It would be civil not criminal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why would you advice such a thing? Seeing Kleenex go nuts is part of the reason that Trump's election was worth it. I mean, between him and Slowguy going bonkers over every little thing trump does, it will be fun for at least a year or two before things really do need to be scrutinized.

"In the world I see you are stalking elk through the damp canyon forests around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Towers. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying stripes of venison on the empty car pool lane of some abandoned superhighway." T Durden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
For your own mental health I strongly encourage you to unplug your tv and refrain from reading any news for the next 4 to 8 years.

I'm worried about you.

I'm fine, as long as I remember to ignore trolls like you.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Duffy wrote:

I'm worried about you.

I'm fine, as long as I remember to ignore trolls like you.

Has sense of humor + disagrees with Kleenex = troll.

I kind of feel sorry for you.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

So walking into a pizza joint and firing a rifle isn't "doing something awful based on fake news?"

I don't think the fake news amounted to yelling fire in a theater. Do you?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
And Carhartt is selling a work thong.

with handy quick draw tape measure
Quote Reply
Re: Conspiracy Theories [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dilbert wrote:
Duffy wrote:
klehner wrote:
Duffy wrote:
kiki wrote:

What? I'm confused. Help me here???

I gave a non-serious, satirical reply to Kiki's "fake news" post. In the process I cited the most famous example of fake news, which also happens to non-serious and satirical (played in dead-pan fashion).

Kleenex then (quoting that post) attempted to insult my intelligence claiming I didn't understand satire.

I let you figure out the rest.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Conspiracy Theories [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

So walking into a pizza joint and firing a rifle isn't "doing something awful based on fake news?"

This is the left's latest attempt to clamp down on free speech.

What's funny is the apparent lack of self reflection/denial/failure to see the irony when they decry "fake news" then cite CNN, NYT, etc.

EVERYONE who has a mind that is open, even if barely a crack, can see that "mainstream media" is full of fake news.

Rolling Stone Magazine just lost a lawsuit over a fake story and then has the balls (or lack of self awareness) to publish a story lamenting "fake news."

http://www.rollingstone.com/...-white-house-w452488

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:

No idea. I was referencing this:

Quote:
What it will take is someone doing something awful based on fake news and getting sued into oblivion by the victims, family of the assailants, etc.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

I'm worried about you.

+1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK. I'm asking, in the context of this thread, if you think that amounts to yelling fire in a crowded theater. In your opinion, does this kind of incident justify limiting first amendment rights to free speech?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
In your opinion, does this kind of incident justify limiting first amendment rights to free speech?

No.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The guy from the OP that went armed into the pizza joint based on the pizzagate conspiracy theory has been sentenced to 4 years in prison.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
I'm sure many of you have seen the story about the guy that went into a Washington restaurant armed to break up a Hilary run child prostitution ring.

So are people that fall for these sorts of things just dumb or do you think they are mentally ill as well, some combination?

We have millions of people who believe a supernatural being spoke to some random dude in Massachusetts through magic stones. We have millions of people who believe a supernatural entity created the world a mere 6000 years ago. We have millions of people who believe a guy in the middle east was the son of a supernatural deity, allowed himself to be tortured and killed, then was resurrected from the dead and plans to return to take all his believers to some other worldly place.

Do we consider all these people who follow religion to be just dumb or do we think they are mentally ill or some combination?
Quote Reply

Prev Next