Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Allied
Quote | Reply
Allied is the new movie featuring Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard, which follows a Canadian Air Force officer and spy through WWII, as he finds true love, builds a family, and is then confronted with potential betrayal. Although the production value is fine, overall the movie was disappointing.

Pitt plays Max, an Air Force Officer and spy. On a mission inside Vichy France, he meets French resistance spy Marianne (played by Cotillard). In the process of completing their mission, the two fall in love, and Max asks Marianne to return with him to England and to marry him. The two set up house in London, have a baby girl, and generally live the lives of a happily married couple during the war. However, marital bliss is short lived, as Max's superiors come to him with accusations that his wife is a German spy. Max has 72 hours to determine if she is who she says she is, or if she has betrayed him.

Everything about the film is fine. The acting is fine. The scenery and cinematography are fine. The writing is fine. But none of it is particularly outstanding. The film felt a bit odd at points, with slightly oversaturated color and clothing that looked more like costumes than actual lived-in outfits. There was also a somewhat odd relationship going on with Max's sister that didn't seem really related to anything else in the film. Otherwise, it was ok. However, the plot is very simple, and pretty predictable. There are no surprises, and really very little tension or intrigue. The only thing that kept me guessing a little was that I thought to myself, "There must be some twist, right? Surely they won't just continue to the predictable ending?" But they did.

Allied is rated R for some very brief partial nudity and suggestions of sex and violence (shooting people and war time bombings). Overall I thought it was pretty tame. If you're a big Pitt fan, or a big fan of WWII movies, this movie might be right up your alley. Otherwise, you can probably skip this one until it comes out on cable/internet streaming.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Allied [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, nothing objectionable but I just didn't really care at the end and I have no problem getting emotionally caught up in a movie.
Quote Reply