Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Anyone have a Mazda 3 5-door? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do I know? With the back seats pulled out, I can fit 2 bikes, racing and training wheels plus luggage for a weekend in my worn out 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse. For 236,xxx miles the v6 still moves pretty well too. Add a seasucker and I've been fully loaded with 4 bikes, 2 riders, wheels and bags.

James Haycraft wrote:
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
That used to be the old Jelly Belly team car. It was fun, it worked but I would rather have a sportswagon or possibly the Subaru Crosstrek.

the 2.5 sportwagen and crosstrek will feel slow as molasses compared to a TDI. NA 4cyl engines feel lame.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a Mazda 3 5-door? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a Mazda3 5 door. Love it and have managed to pack in 2 bikes and three adults in it.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a Mazda 3 5-door? [irongirl101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2014 Mazda 3 5-door. Nice car, by the way. I regularly carry my bike in the hatch. Sometimes I carry both my road and TT bike together, on top of each other separated by a blanket (only remove front wheels). One bike is easy. Two is a little crowded, but not bad. I still have room for extra wheels, pump, duffle bag, small cooler, etc. - gear needed for races. There's plenty of room.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a Mazda 3 5-door? [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2014 Mazda 3 hatch. It's a great little car: comfortable, well made, offers excellent handling and offers terrific fuel economy. Having stipulated that, even if you take all wheels off there's no way you're going to get two bike in the back. I can get one in the back with the front wheel off and that's about it. It will definitely work with a hitch and hitch-mounted carrier but if you want the bikes in the car you need something bigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a Mazda 3 5-door? [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
I have a 2014 Mazda 3 hatch. It's a great little car: comfortable, well made, offers excellent handling and offers terrific fuel economy. Having stipulated that, even if you take all wheels off there's no way you're going to get two bike in the back. I can get one in the back with the front wheel off and that's about it. It will definitely work with a hitch and hitch-mounted carrier but if you want the bikes in the car you need something bigger.

That's odd because I can easily get a road and a TT bike in the back with only the front wheels removed. Same car. Go figure????
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a Mazda 3 5-door? [wacomme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You stack your bikes, though. Not everyone is willing to do that.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a Mazda 3 5-door? [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:

True. A thick blanket between them works well. Though, I usually transport just one bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for camping, I took 2 bikes in the back, front wheels off, seatposts out, camping stuff dividing the two bikes - which sat upright, back seats down. mountain bikes on the hitch rack. worked well. granted a 54cm frame is largest that would fit upright in the back, with front wheel off.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a Mazda 3 5-door? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mazda 5 is the way to go. Those sliding rear doors are sweet! To bad they are gone from the USA after this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:

I stack mine also, with a blanket between them. I'm just careful not to put any weight on the derailleurs. Have never had any issues doing that. (and actually have gotten 3 bikes in the back of the Sportwagen that way -- wheels off though.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a Mazda 3 5-door? [bariiings] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bariiings wrote:
In the same exact boat as you! My A3 is going back before the major timing belt maintenance job is due and the warranty on the fuel pump is up.

I have been searching for cars for awhile to replace it with. My bike must fit my bike and a car seat to be practical for me. After lugging my largest bike around for weeks I'm pretty close to a decision and just waiting till the end of the year to haggle the 10 dealerships for the best price. Mine did not fit with one of the seats up for the car seat because my saddle was too high is any of the Mazdas except the CX-5.

My largest bike the TT is a size 58 and is the least practical to fit in cars. Typically my road bike is lugged around the most frequent. With a car seat and one seat up I have successfully fit my bike in a Honda Fit and Honda Hr-v. The wife hates the fit, likes the HR-V. But it's 5k more. I'd rather put that to bikes.
I'm sure she will win in the end.

Same. Just set a buyback date of 12/28 for my Audi A3. I really like to drive and love the "spirited" experience of the A3 TDI. At 46, I want to buy a car that I'll enjoy for 8-10 years ad I'm not looking for a entry-level car (I hope that doesn't sound too pompous). I would like something with a sporty driving experience which I don't think SUVs deliver. Anyone have experience with a Volvo V60 Cross Country? I really need AWD (when I have to get to work, I HAVE to get to work) and realized that the A3 TDI was not going to be a long-term solution. An Outback 3.6L vs the Volvo V60 CC seem like the way to go (I'm done with VW/Audi/Porsche). Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone have a Mazda 3 5-door? [Asilverm1970] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The V60 is great! Don't want to spend that on my "beater" though. Very nice drive! Test one out, I liked it better then any "practical" Subaru I tested.
Quote Reply

Prev Next