Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: A new definition of Elite - just for you slowguy [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
It's also a term often foisted on the educated, in that they know too much. I get confused by this - don't we want the smart people, who really know what they are doing on certain things to be guiding use.

The former Conservative government of Stephen Harper when it was getting "Tough on Crime", was HEAVILY criticized by academics in Sociology and Criminology (people that actually study this professionally for a living) - we don't need to get Tough of Crime. If you want to do something about crime do this . . . But those academics, where written off by the Harper Government, as elites who did not know what they were talking about! When I queried my Conservative MP at the time - she told me that when she was talking to people in the riding ( a very affluent one), at their front doors, she was told that the government needed to do something about crime. That it was "out of control", and people were really worried. Of course, all those front-door analysis's are wrong! Crime rates are at their lowest in 30 years and dropping faster than they ever have!

Who do we want making these decisions? The guy at his front door, who really has no idea what he's talking about, or academics, who really do know what's going on?

It's concerning to me when the guy-at-the front door, is making decisions on large social policy issues that will cost $billions!

I don't know about you, but when I think of the qualities I want in the leader of my country, "smarter than me" is rater higher than "can have a beer with"
Quote Reply
Re: A new definition of Elite - just for you slowguy [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
If you want to put it that way, feel free. I'm just saying when they call someone an elite, they aren't referring to actual accomplishments, but to their perception of an elitist attitude.

I think much of that perception is simply what's been fed to them by politicians.

If X politician is from New York or CA or MA and went to Harvard or Yale and is a Democrat, watch out! He's an elitist/intellectual elite, who is out of touch and wants to put gays in your living room and take away your religion!

Similar to how some on the left label people from the "fly over States" or talk about racist deplorables.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trump supporters think Trump is an elite businessman, for example, and love that. They don't think he's elitist at all, and they love that. Put the two perceptions together, and they love that the most.

I saw a bit on a morning news show where they looked at how people perceived Clinton and Trump. The Clintons, despite spending a lot of their early years in Arkansas were considered elitist. Meanwhile, Trump who is elite in terms of business, would not be seen the same way. The commentator showed a picture of Trump, on his private jet, eating KFC for dinner. That photo played well to his base because his private jet showed he was wealthy and successful in his career, but the fact that he ate like an average person reminded people that despite his wealth, he hasn't lost touch with the "average" person.

Quote Reply
Re: A new definition of Elite - just for you slowguy [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you don't think there's any truth to the charge of elitism?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: A new definition of Elite - just for you slowguy [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Trump supporters think Trump is an elite businessman, for example, and love that. They don't think he's elitist at all, and they love that. Put the two perceptions together, and they love that the most.

I saw a bit on a morning news show where they looked at how people perceived Clinton and Trump. The Clintons, despite spending a lot of their early years in Arkansas were considered elitist. Meanwhile, Trump who is elite in terms of business, would not be seen the same way. The commentator showed a picture of Trump, on his private jet, eating KFC for dinner. That photo played well to his base because his private jet showed he was wealthy and successful in his career, but the fact that he ate like an average person reminded people that despite his wealth, he hasn't lost touch with the "average" person.

Funny, because Bill Clinton was classic average joe when he was President. It's only since Hillary moved to the forefront that the charges of elitism began.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
So you don't think there's any truth to the charge of elitism?

No, I'm sure there are legitimate examples, just like there are legitimately examples of racists among the conservative base.

However, much like our discussion about "homophobe," elite and elitist have become easy labels, and they're being used to turn people off of education, culture, the arts, and sophisticated thought and reasoning.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they're being used to turn people off of education, culture, the arts, and sophisticated thought and reasoning.

I agree with that, which is a really unfortunate reaction. But I think accusations of elitism are largely justified. That mentality is far more prevalent than outright racism or homophobia, and it isn't at all limited to Ivy League eggheads.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
they're being used to turn people off of education, culture, the arts, and sophisticated thought and reasoning.

I agree with that, which is a really unfortunate reaction. But I think accusations of elitism are largely justified. That mentality is far more prevalent than outright racism or homophobia, and it isn't at all limited to Ivy League eggheads.

There's a fine line between "elitism" and justifiable confidence that based on significantly higher education and experience, you might have a better idea how govt works, how foreign policy works, etc.

It's not elitism for someone to realize that the vast majority of the American public can't possibly be expected to understand the complexities of a global nuclear disarmament treaty, or the legal code, etc. Take a look at the comments section of any random news article or Youtube video, and you can see what the level of discourse is for an awful lot of America.

I agree that many politicians have either actually begun to believe, or have done a poor job of preventing the people from thinking they believe that they simply know better and the masses should just be quiet and do what they're told. I don't think that's limited to the left. The right certainly sells itself better as being connected to the common man. And I don't know that we aren't headed down a road to where the public in general really is just not educated enough, interested enough in actual policy, or trained enough in basic logic and rational thought to be able to find the right way forward. Maybe we should just accept that the will of the people seems to be that we get dumber, more spoiled, etc.

When you have a nation of several thousand, it's much easier for everyone to remain engaged and informed about the full scope of policy decisions and their implications. As you grow, that gets harder and harder.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're arguing against a strawman version of elitism. Really knocking the stuffing out of it, too. Have fun with that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
You're arguing against a strawman version of elitism. Really knocking the stuffing out of it, too. Have fun with that.

Ok. Whatever.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: A new definition of Elite - just for you slowguy [TheForge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, spot off.

What they don't like are people who disagree with them, and that's the same for every political bent. It's human nature to dislike people who disagree with you, That why spending time around people of different perspectives is incredibly beneficial. It humanizes different perspectives. That's one of the many bad things about the segmentalizing that has occurred in our culture in the last few decades. You can now get online and find any kind of whack job that floats your boat, and over enough time "socializing" with them, you convince one another that you're right and everyone else is wrong.
Quote Reply

Prev Next