Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trump and Carrier/United Technologies [ironmayb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget that Trump's Vice President elect is in fact still the governor of Indiana, the state that granted those tax breaks. I doubt that Pence could unilaterally make that call, but as GOVERNOR of Indiana, he's kind of got a lot of influence there.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Trump and Carrier/United Technologies [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
Don't forget that Trump's Vice President elect is in fact still the governor of Indiana, the state that granted those tax breaks. I doubt that Pence could unilaterally make that call, but as GOVERNOR of Indiana, he's kind of got a lot of influence there.

I think Pence was actively involved in this entire process from when talks started last year (before he even became VP nominee), to when they fell apart this summer to probably being one of the 2-3 people who continued to call and try to work out a solution here. I think when Trump placed his phone call to the CEO and got any traction at all he probably turned him back over to Pence (maybe before hanging up).

As in fact still the governor of Indiana that is probably exactly what happened. Pence was knowledgeable about the deal already on the table and worked with the IN depts. involved to change or enhance the deal.

As far as I know being voted in as VP doesn't change Pence's current duty to try to do his best for the IN taxpayer.

If I was beginning today to look for targeted tax breaks or other incentives for my company I would make 2 phone calls. One to the US congressman who's district represents my business location (to his office) and one to the Governor's office. I would either get lip or no service from both but would expect them to turn me over to the WI economic development arm for review and discussion.

If I was the CEO of UT/Carrier I would expect both the congressman and the governor to actively work on my behalf to get a deal done.

Edit: BTW for the sake of this country I hope once both Trump and Pence are sworn in that Pence takes the behind the scenes lead on many issues like this. For a lot of reasons......
Last edited by: ironmayb: Dec 6, 16 13:20
Quote Reply
Re: Trump and Carrier/United Technologies [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
So Carrier agreed not to move all those jobs to Mexico (only some of them?), in return for some taxpayer dollars from Indiana and a threat to pull billions in defense contracts from UT.

Remember: seriously, not literally.

Quote:
More than 600 employees at a Carrier plant in Indianapolis are bracing for layoffs beginning next month, despite being told by President Trump that nearly all the jobs at the plant had been saved. The deal, announced with great fanfare before Trump took office, was billed not only as a heroic move to keep jobs from going to Mexico but also as a seismic shift in the economic development landscape.

Nearly seven months later the deal has not worked out quite as originally advertised, and the landscape has barely budged. "The jobs are still leaving," said Robert James, president of United Steelworkers Local 1999. "Nothing has stopped."
http://www.cnbc.com/...-up-to-the-hype.html

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Trump and Carrier/United Technologies [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, did you hear that Russia is Obama's fault?
Quote Reply

Prev Next