Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Are all people who oppose equal rights for gays "homophobic"? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Why not consider the "editorial" side?

Because this is a thought experiment, and you like to keep the comparison equivalent. ;)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Are all people who oppose equal rights for gays "homophobic"? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I get what you are saying but many gay people have no idea how gay they look.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Hm seems like your posts resonate the most with me ...

Firstly, I'm obviously aware of the origin of the quote, but in the context of how you used it, yes I think acting in that manner has been wrong as far as homosexuals trying to further their cause as being the same and seeking equal rights.

In Sydney, the Mardi Gras has historically been all about flamboyance. Oiled up men in nothing but ass-less chaps, bare breasted lesbians gyrating on poles, mohawked individuals French kissing.

Was it really any wonder why conservative, family value types turned away in disgust and developed such phobias? That type of behaviour became the stereotype associated with the movement and became a major reason conservatives opposed equal rights across the board.

It's linked to my other response to you; such behaviour is confronting and upsetting to many and there was/is the perception that accepting it mainstream will directly affect them at some stage I.e. Having their kids exposed to it at school pickup.

I always thought that had the movement appeared little different to the rest then acceptance would have come much easier.

I still don't get what drives the dramatic voice and action nuances.
Quote Reply
Re: Are all people who oppose equal rights for gays "homophobic"? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
I get what you are saying but many gay people have no idea how gay they look.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Hm seems like your posts resonate the most with me ...

Firstly, I'm obviously aware of the origin of the quote, but in the context of how you used it, yes I think acting in that manner has been wrong as far as homosexuals trying to further their cause as being the same and seeking equal rights.

In Sydney, the Mardi Gras has historically been all about flamboyance. Oiled up men in nothing but ass-less chaps, bare breasted lesbians gyrating on poles, mohawked individuals French kissing.

Was it really any wonder why conservative, family value types turned away in disgust and developed such phobias? That type of behaviour became the stereotype associated with the movement and became a major reason conservatives opposed equal rights across the board.

It's linked to my other response to you; such behaviour is confronting and upsetting to many and there was/is the perception that accepting it mainstream will directly affect them at some stage I.e. Having their kids exposed to it at school pickup.

I always thought that had the movement appeared little different to the rest then acceptance would have come much easier.

I still don't get what drives the dramatic voice and action nuances.

Yeah, it always strikes me as a bit funny that the LGBT+ community complains about how people don't view them as regular family types with the white picket fence, helping their kids with their homework at the kitchen table, etc.

It may very well be that many or even most gay couples are like that, but that is not how the gay community has presented itself in the past. In most venues that would get widespread attention, gays have portrayed themselves (or allowed themselves to be portrayed) as flamboyant, fabulous, over the top, etc and those examples have been thrust into the spotlight. It's pretty disingenuous to pretend like you don't understand why conservative religious families might be bothered by those portrayals.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Are all people who oppose equal rights for gays "homophobic"? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
No, but we're not talking about just making a comparison. We're talking about people and groups who attempt to create an equivalency between the situation blacks were in during the 50s and the situation gays are in now. The people who claim "homophobes" who object to SSM are akin to the racists who lynched blacks and segregated schools.

No we arent. Maybe you are. I said they are comparable. They are. In many horriffic ways. No one said they are equivalent.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Are all people who oppose equal rights for gays "homophobic"? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Are you opposed to pedophilia or the taking of child brides in other countries? Presumably none of these directly affect you. It affects you because you believe it's wrong and in our western cultures we have mandated it as being against the law. But it still doesn't directly impact you.

No.No.No. pedophilia and taking child brides is wrong because it harms the child.

Two gay people or other minorities in a consenting relationship harms no one.

Quote Reply
Re: Are all people who oppose equal rights for gays "homophobic"? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're missing the point. Shockingly.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Are all people who oppose equal rights for gays "homophobic"? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
Are you opposed to pedophilia or the taking of child brides in other countries? Presumably none of these directly affect you. It affects you because you believe it's wrong and in our western cultures we have mandated it as being against the law. But it still doesn't directly impact you.

No.No.No. pedophilia and taking child brides is wrong because it harms the child.

It harms the belief systems of millions of religious people because it is being imposed on them in new ways all the time. It exposes a different way of life to people who may wish for it not to be exposed to them or their own children. For example pretty much every tv show these days has the token gay couple. You can't escape it even if you wanted to. It hypocritically labels people as bigots because they don't agree with that lifestyle. So there are very real impacts.

In some cultures child brides are not unusual. Similar to arranged marriages for adults.
Quote Reply
Re: Are all people who oppose equal rights for gays "homophobic"? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vitus979 wrote:
You're missing the point. Shockingly.

No.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

It harms the belief systems of millions of religious people because it is being imposed on them in new ways all the time. It exposes a different way of life to people who may wish for it not to be exposed to them or their own children. For example pretty much every tv show these days has the token gay couple. You can't escape it even if you wanted to. It hypocritically labels people as bigots because they don't agree with that lifestyle. So there are very real impacts.

In some cultures child brides are not unusual. Similar to arranged marriages for adults.

You think you being offended is the same as a child being raped? Newsfalsh, it doesnt mtter if a child brides arent unusual, its still harmful.

A gay couple on tv doesnt harm you. You can simpmy not watch if youre offended, you habe no right not to be offended. A child beide cannot simply turn off her marriage, she is immensely harmed, physically and psychologically.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prove it. Explain to all of us what you understand the point to be.

You're not having a good week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
You think you being offended is the same as a child being raped?

Nobody said that. Get a grip on yourself and leave some of your overactive emotion aside.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
No, but we're not talking about just making a comparison. We're talking about people and groups who attempt to create an equivalency between the situation blacks were in during the 50s and the situation gays are in now. The people who claim "homophobes" who object to SSM are akin to the racists who lynched blacks and segregated schools.

No we arent. Maybe you are. I said they are comparable. They are. In many horriffic ways. No one said they are equivalent.

The whole reason the comparison was brought up was because we were discussing other people who draw that equivalency, and who attempt to paint people opposed to SSM as equivalent to the racists of the civil rights movement.

Believe it or not, you are not the center of the universe, and your personal beliefs really aren't the central focus of every thread.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: Are all people who oppose equal rights for gays "homophobic"? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love seeing the two know it all's bitch fighting. You wanna be "elitists"... Or is it just "elite"??
Quote Reply
Re: Are all people who oppose equal rights for gays "homophobic"? [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc wrote:
I love seeing the two know it all's bitch fighting. You wanna be "elitists"... Or is it just "elite"??

Feel free to add something of substance Master Chief.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no fight in this, sir.
But for the record, I do not think that peeps that oppose equals rights for lbgtq community are homophobic, maybe they are, I don't know. I for one don't know anybody that is against equal rights for above community nor do I know any "homophobes". I do know of one elitist. If you go look in the mirror, you will see him too.
Quote Reply
Re: Are all people who oppose equal rights for gays "homophobic"? [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc wrote:
I have no fight in this, sir.
But for the record, I do not think that peeps that oppose equals rights for lbgtq community are homophobic, maybe they are, I don't know. I for one don't know anybody that is against equal rights for above community nor do I know any "homophobes". I do know of one elitist. If you go look in the mirror, you will see him too.

Fuck off Master Chief. Put up the footrest on that nasty old recliner, have another Coors light, and rest easy in your retirement. The rest of us will keep the watch.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:

You think you being offended is the same as a child being raped? Newsfalsh, it doesnt mtter if a child brides arent unusual, its still harmful.

A gay couple on tv doesnt harm you. You can simpmy not watch if youre offended, you habe no right not to be offended. A child beide cannot simply turn off her marriage, she is immensely harmed, physically and psychologically.

You completely underestimate the effect the lifestyle has on many people's mindsets. Just because you're fine with this doesn't mean the world should be.

I guess you can just turn off all media and the concept of child brides wont affect you any more, right? Apparently it's that simple.

There is more likelihood conservatives will eventually be exposed to LGBT than you being exposed to child brides.

We will just agree to disagree on this one.
Quote Reply
Re: Are all people who oppose equal rights for gays "homophobic"? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are all people who oppose equal rights for gays "homophobic"?

Only if you believe that the only reason for a reasonable opposition for "Equal rights for homosexuals" is because you are homophobic. For the most part this applies to pretty much everything and is a tactic being used by many people on pretty much every argument. Oppose Obama's policies and you're a racist. Support reasonable approach to GHG reduction and you're fossil fuel hating GW hoaxer.

Personally I think you first have to start the discussion with the question of "Equal rights" and whether or not anything currently being placed under the discussion of "Equal rights for homosexuals" are even "Rights" at all.

I'm not against everyone being treated equally under the law, I am however against more groups getting more "Special treatment" because they get included in yet another protected group or catered to group. I've stated since the beginning of this discussion decades ago that the best move is and will always be for government to get out of the social engineering business and to quite handing out "rights" based on how they want people to behave. You shouldn't get a tax break because you have kids or buy a house...or a energy star water heater. So if these groups don't get "Rights" because they are married then we don't have to worry about giving them to gay couples or people that marry their pet pig.

~Matt

Quote Reply

Prev Next