Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Question for the Marriage Translator [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
j p o wrote:

I'm still curious, if their car was broken down, how do they get to the car rental place?

Would they do that in time to get to the show? Never used that so no idea how fast they get there.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Marriage Translator [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:
j p o wrote:

I'm still curious, if their car was broken down, how do they get to the car rental place?

Would they do that in time to get to the show? Never used that so no idea how fast they get there.

I remember seeing them going at least warp 3 so I'm thinking they would make it.

The original scenario probably wouldn't happen to us, as my wife usually drives when we're together. But, it is the kind of thing that I might do on purpose to yank her chain a little bit. Different though because she knows I'm just kidding around.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Marriage Translator [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
I always drive when we're in the car. She's not a bad driver, I just prefer to drive

Another indicator that you only own one car, or you are either a control freak or stuck in 1950 mentality.

We address this issue by I drive when we take my truck, she drives when we take her car.

And the roll continues...
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Marriage Translator [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
sphere wrote:
I always drive when we're in the car. She's not a bad driver, I just prefer to drive

Another indicator that you only own one car, or you are either a control freak or stuck in 1950 mentality.

We address this issue by I drive when we take my truck, she drives when we take her car.

And the roll continues...

I am certainly not a control freak but I also drive almost exclusively when we are together.

We both prefer it that way. She doesn't really want to drive and I'd prefer not to be the passenger.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Marriage Translator [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. When we travel anyway, regardless of the vehicle, it's assumed that I drive. By both of our preferences. I become a passenger while the Wife drives maybe 2x a year.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Marriage Translator [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
sphere wrote:
Quote:
Yes, but then why do you feel the need to search yourself? It really does come down to this.

That's a great question, and probably best to ask, rather than assume to know the reason. She never asked, even in the rhetorical sense. We went from zero to "you must think I'm an idiot" without pause. That's a bit of an overreaction, I think. It forgets what she knows about me, and presumes to know something unsaid that's entirely untrue.

Yes, but you are forgetting that she's a woman.

I like to think that my wife is fairly low on the crazy scale, yet if I leave something on the floor her reaction is "I can only assume that you expect me to clean up after you".

Whereas the truth is that I am simply lazy and figured I'd pick it up later.

This is so true! Just a day or two ago my wife complained "Why is this role of paper towels on the floor?" I had the perfect (true) response: "I was using it to clean up the cat barf on the carpet!".

I could see the slight pause as she processed that and realized this was not behavior she wanted to discourage.

Still, after a moment she just had to say "Well, most people would have picked it up after they were finished".
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Marriage Translator [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Going back to my routine workplace practice of dueling google machine searches...

We had a woman in the unit last night, admitted for a specific type of unstable tachycardia. Cardiology saw in the morning, prescribed two different medications for slowing the rate, administered as prescribed. Over the next several hours, the heart rate trended down from the high 160s to 30, with accompanying unstable low blood pressure. I ordered two medications, one which wasn't likely to help due to the nature of the bradycardia, but wasn't harmful, and another that's useful for bradycardia an hypotension no matter the origin. Both failed. A coworker called the cardiologist who advised to prepare for a transvenous pacer insertion, an invasive procedure that's used as a bridge to an implanted pacer, if necessary. My coworker started prepping her for the cordis catheter insertion. I talked about it with the intensivist to see if any medical therapies were still on the table, perhaps to reverse the meds given earlier. He thought they'd be futile because of how the heart was pacing itself, wouldn't be effective. I wasn't convinced, argued a different pathway could be reactivated, etc. He pulled up one of our online subscription resources to investigate. I pulled out the phone, did the same, found evidence to support my position. I made my recommendation, he acquiesced. Couldn't hurt. 3g calcium gluconate IV push and 10 minutes later, and she's back up into the 90-100s with a normal blood pressure, off dopamine, no invasive procedures, no implanted pacemaker planned, will likely be discharged home on beta blockers and blood thinner.

I told mrs sphere about the case this morning, with subtle emphasis on the dueling online searches. Apparently it wasn't so subtle. I wish you could've seen the look. Ha!

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Marriage Translator [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You remember what I said about slow learners? lol.

Two thoughts come to mind: First, modern medicine is a little more complicated than running a search for nearby car rental agencies. Second, I'm not sure it bolsters my confidence in the medical system to know hospital staff is dueling via google to determine appropriate treatment protocols. ;)

Please tell your wife she has my sympathy.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Marriage Translator [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not that I wanted to prove I was right. I just wanted to be...understood. ;)

I'd be lost without our fingertip resources, most days. Outside of the bread and butter stuff, evidence and recommendations tend to change with regularity and not everything follows a clear flowchart algorithm. The old adage about "practice" still hold true in the era of Evidence Based Medicine.

Last edited by: sphere: Dec 3, 16 13:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not that I wanted to prove I was right. I just wanted to be...understood. ;)

lol. Literally. Sitting here laughing my ass off. This makes my day.

With regard to medicine, I was actually talking to a couple of guys at the gym about this the other day. Seems like outside of surgery, which is just mechanics, a lot of medicine is as much art as science.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

Bwahahaha. You mean, you just wanted to be...right. And were willing to resurrect a days old argument to show it. Yeah, slow learner. Your writing screams 'control freak'.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the Marriage Translator [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get shit done freak. Guilty. Hazard of the profession, I guess.

I'll add your name to vitus' sympathy card.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
It's not that I wanted to prove I was right. I just wanted

her to admit I was right. I already knew I was right.

Yeah, I do that to.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next