Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Blood panel - let's see what 3 days of pain did to my body [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would need more than that to survive an Ultraman. Congrats on your race!
Quote Reply
Re: Blood panel - let's see what 3 days of pain did to my body [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:
Test for EPO, Cortisone and Steroids.

of course anyone who ever beats me should be tested for those

Or if they are Kevin Moats or Lance or Jan Ullrich !!!

Edit: Just to be clear, I am certain you'd beat Jan and Moats at an Ultraman. I am unsure you'd beat Lance (actually I am almost certain that given 6 months of training Lance would kick your ass even though Tony O'Keeffe would outrun him, so we'd want him tested).
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 2, 16 13:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
---
UPDATE WITH RESULTS (also appended to original post)
---

I went with athletebloodtest.com - most markers were normal but a few things stood out

- Hematocrit was higher than I expected, 47.3 - while Lance may not be happy with that, I would have thought that 3 days after finishing Ultraman I'd have taken a knock
- Free testosterone is low 7.1 (although after a big 3 days that's to be expected)
- LDL is high 124 and Cholesterol too at 204 (same goes, to be expected, will check back in after a new baseline test in the new year)
- ALT (452) and AST (362) very high indicating a high degree of muscle breakdown. Confirmed by the fact that I couldn't walk down stairs until Saturday!
- Ferritin high (213)
- Vitamin D low (31)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
---
UPDATE WITH RESULTS (also appended to original post)
---

I went with athletebloodtest.com - most markers were normal but a few things stood out

- Hematocrit was higher than I expected, 47.3 - while Lance may not be happy with that, I would have thought that 3 days after finishing Ultraman I'd have taken a knock
- Free testosterone is low 7.1 (although after a big 3 days that's to be expected)
- LDL is high 124 and Cholesterol too at 204 (same goes, to be expected, will check back in after a new baseline test in the new year)
- ALT (452) and AST (362) very high indicating a high degree of muscle breakdown. Confirmed by the fact that I couldn't walk down stairs until Saturday!
- Ferritin high (213)
- Vitamin D low (31)

So this entire profile is not Moats/Lance/Ferrari approved?

Serious question. Do you know your HCT living at Boulder in general during week in week out training? How the heck does your Vitamin D get low with all that sun in Kona. I thought you'd be topped up for full winter hibernation. Do you lose a lot of Vitamin D through sweat/calcium loss during the UM?
Quote Reply
Re: Blood panel - let's see what 3 days of pain did to my body [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

I'm not sure how much Dr Ferrari's extra 2.6 in Hematocrit would give me, but it doesn't seem like much to me.

devashish_paul wrote:
Serious question. Do you know your HCT living at Boulder in general during week in week out training?
No, I suppose I could buy a centrifuge so that I can test weekly. Or just do a regular monthly very basic blood panel

devashish_paul wrote:
How the heck does your Vitamin D get low with all that sun in Kona. I thought you'd be topped up for full winter hibernation. Do you lose a lot of Vitamin D through sweat/calcium loss during the UM?
Good question. I also have a lot of sun exposure in Boulder (I swim in an outdoor pool, and don't wear sunscreen when swimming). I'm pretty well covered up for bike/run. I'm guessing there is a factor related to the big 3 days of effort why Vitamin D was depleted. Needless to say, I will be replenishing ASAP. Dr Rock suggested a tapered Vitamin D dosage coincided with my recovery protocol. Does cake have Vitamin D???

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CK-MB/Troponin??

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I'm not sure how much Dr Ferrari's extra 2.6 in Hematocrit would give me, but it doesn't seem like much to me.

devashish_paul wrote:

Serious question. Do you know your HCT living at Boulder in general during week in week out training?

No, I suppose I could buy a centrifuge so that I can test weekly. Or just do a regular monthly very basic blood panel

devashish_paul wrote:

How the heck does your Vitamin D get low with all that sun in Kona. I thought you'd be topped up for full winter hibernation. Do you lose a lot of Vitamin D through sweat/calcium loss during the UM?

Good question. I also have a lot of sun exposure in Boulder (I swim in an outdoor pool, and don't wear sunscreen when swimming). I'm pretty well covered up for bike/run. I'm guessing there is a factor related to the big 3 days of effort why Vitamin D was depleted. Needless to say, I will be replenishing ASAP. Dr Rock suggested a tapered Vitamin D dosage coincided with my recovery protocol. Does cake have Vitamin D???

Ferrari would have said 47 percent is too low and would have ordered Lance into the altitude tent during the Tour De Suisse to get to 49.999999999?

As for cake and Vitamin D, that's outside my medical breadth of knowledge. You better ask Jan Ullrich about that plan!
Quote Reply
Re: Blood panel - let's see what 3 days of pain did to my body [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How the heck does your Vitamin D get low with all that sun in Kona.

Low intrinsic factor.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Blood panel - let's see what 3 days of pain did to my body [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vit D is not that sun dependent. Location and exposure are not that critical. Intake is by far the most limiting factor-not exposure.

I do skin and cancer for a living. Current obsession over VitD and extra sun are doing great things for ensuring I have enough funds to race.
Quote Reply
Re: Blood panel - let's see what 3 days of pain did to my body [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cbritri wrote:
I would be curious to see C reactive protein levels.

I'd be really interested as well. Some years ago I did a 250km desert ultra-marathon. Raced hard and did really well. I felt fantastic for a few days afterwards, then crashed badly - felt like death. Went to doctor who did some blood work. When he got the results he rang me at home, on the weekend (not the usual protocol).

He sounded really anxious: "Are you OK?, are you sure?" I assured him I was feeling much better. Turns out my CRP was 287. He'd never seen a reading like it, and was actually ringing to arrange an ambulance to collect me! I have heard of higher, but it's rare. I wonder if there is a "typical" reading for a "typical" post hard IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Blood panel - let's see what 3 days of pain did to my body [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. I had blood work done a few days after racing a marathon. I was no where near yours, but it was well outside of acceptable. My doc was kind of a dick about it and lectured me about how I was doing so much harm to my body.

Brian

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

devashish_paul wrote:

devashish_paul wrote:

Dr Rock suggested a tapered Vitamin D dosage coincided with my recovery protocol. Does cake have Vitamin D???

Ummmmmmm, NO-cake is NOT full of Vitamin D. However, since it's inexpensive to supplement ($20 for a 6 month supply) be sure not to do what I did and overdose on this fat-soluble vitamin.

Life Time does similar testing to what's being discussed here in some of our locations and I went overboard with too much of a good thing ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Blood panel - let's see what 3 days of pain did to my body [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
Ummmmmmm, NO-cake is NOT full of Vitamin D. However, since it's inexpensive to supplement ($20 for a 6 month supply) be sure not to do what I did and overdose on this fat-soluble vitamin.

what I'm hearing you say is that I can safely overdose on cake, but I should be careful of the vitamins. This is the sort of advice I welcome with open arms!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

what I'm hearing you say is that I can safely overdose on cake, but I should be careful of the vitamins. This is the sort of advice I welcome with open arms!

You sound like my typical personal training client. There is job security with people like you 😂😂😂

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you do a true fasting blood test? I agree that CRP would be interesting, but so many things can elevate that. I'd also be interested in T-cell, etc. just to see how immune system was affected. If you really wanted to go crazy, some renal work would be cool!

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next