Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This is why we need the Electoral College! [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
"What have I opposed here?"

Changing the the EC. You said:

Quote:

Presidential campaigning would only take place on the coasts of the US and it would be a contest to see who could out liberal each other. Without the EC we'd end up like Venezuela within 2 presidential cycles.

Sounds like you strongly oppose changing the EC in any way (unless you are pro-Venezuela ;). Of course, your post seemed to embrace the EC only in implicit comparison with National Popular Vote. There are multiple alternatives out there which would fully address the concern that you mentioned.

Of all the problems with our presidential election system the electoral college barely raises an eyebrow for me.

Get rid of the two party system first, then let's talk about other changes.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: This is why we need the Electoral College! [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
"What have I opposed here?"

Changing the the EC. You said:

Quote:

Presidential campaigning would only take place on the coasts of the US and it would be a contest to see who could out liberal each other. Without the EC we'd end up like Venezuela within 2 presidential cycles.

Sounds like you strongly oppose changing the EC in any way (unless you are pro-Venezuela ;). Of course, your post seemed to embrace the EC only in implicit comparison with National Popular Vote. There are multiple alternatives out there which would fully address the concern that you mentioned.

Of all the problems with our presidential election system the electoral college barely raises an eyebrow for me.

Get rid of the two party system first, then let's talk about other changes.

The Electoral College facilitates the 2 party system.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: This is why we need the Electoral College! [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, in that case...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Well, in that case...

I'm not arguing in favor of abolishing the Electoral system. It does a variety of things for us. But one of those things is reinforce the two party system, so if that's your big gripe, changes to the EC might be something to look at.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest gripe is how much power we've given these people. That power give our rulers the ability to extract large sums of money from the populace (through taxes and political donations) which they then doll out to themselves and their connected (donator class) buddies. Usually at the expense of the non-connected.

Devolve much of that power and the fact that we have a blowhard pussy grabber for president wouldn't mean so much.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
My biggest gripe is how much power we've given these people. That power give our rulers the ability to extract large sums of money from the populace (through taxes and political donations) which they then doll out to themselves and their connected (donator class) buddies. Usually at the expense of the non-connected.

Devolve much of that power and the fact that we have a blowhard pussy grabber for president wouldn't mean so much.

That's an interesting perspective, and for sure, some of our politicians are taking advantage of their positions to enrich themselves and their friends, but the vast amount of the money the govt collects from us goes to pay things like Medicare, Welfare, SS, military salaries and health care, etc.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of which (except for the military) the government shouldn't really be involved in.

In regards to the military, only the government can do that because of the fact that we sometimes have to make American citizens kill and die for it. No private entity could be shielded from liability for things like that.

Plus I think there's something in the constitution about it.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
All of which (except for the military) the government shouldn't really be involved in.

In regards to the military, only the government can do that because of the fact that we sometimes have to make American citizens kill and die for it. No private entity could be shielded from liability for things like that.

Plus I think there's something in the constitution about it.

Well, there's something in the Constitution about providing for the general welfare as well.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: This is why we need the Electoral College! [Sir.Vaylo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sir.Vaylo wrote:
As of 11/28, Clinton leads Trump by 2.2 million in the popular vote nationwide.
In California alone, Clinton leads Trump by 3.9 million in the popular vote.
Without California, Trump leads by almost 2 million nationwide.
If there was ever a reason for the electoral college, its this.

Soooo.... your point is that some American's votes should be more valuable than others. Why not extend this reasoning a little further and just have you and a few of your friends be the one's deciding who gets to be president? How does that sound, comrade?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: This is why we need the Electoral College! [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Sir.Vaylo wrote:
As of 11/28, Clinton leads Trump by 2.2 million in the popular vote nationwide.
In California alone, Clinton leads Trump by 3.9 million in the popular vote.
Without California, Trump leads by almost 2 million nationwide.
If there was ever a reason for the electoral college, its this.

Soooo.... your point is that some American's votes should be more valuable than others. Why not extend this reasoning a little further and just have you and a few of your friends be the one's deciding who gets to be president? How does that sound, comrade?

That kinda just happened, yes? Enjoy your safe space, comrade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Duffy wrote:

That's an interesting perspective, and for sure, some of our politicians are taking advantage of their positions to enrich themselves and their friends, but the vast amount of the money the govt collects from us goes to pay things like Medicare, Welfare, SS, military salaries and health care, etc.

But who gets the contracts?
Quote Reply

Prev Next