Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Peroneus Longus Injury
Quote | Reply
I tore my ACL in my left knee some 13 years ago and never had it repaired. I haven't had any major trouble with it since, other than the fact that it is definitely not as stable as it was. Recently I was running some short sharp hills and the next day had major pain right below the outside of that knee to the point I was limping. I have tried for the past month or so to stay off it and ease back into running/cycling with no luck. I initially thought it was a knee/meniscus problem but I am now thinking it is more of the peroneus longus origin since the pain goes the whole way down my calf and hurts when I rest my leg on my right knee. There is no pain with any knee flexion and the ortho cant find anything other than a small amount of instability. It does seem to be getting slightly better but runs still cause pretty much instant pain and cycling causes aching the next day.

I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with this issue and what they have done to minimize recovery time? Starting to get frustrated with lower extremity injuries. I am only 35.... WTF this seems never ending!
Quote Reply
Re: Peroneus Longus Injury [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had periods where tightness in my peroneus longus has manifested itself as knee pain, mostly brought on by running but also sometimes by cycling if it's bad.

One thing I found that really helped was to focus on keep my foot flat during my running stride and pedal stroke, keeping the pressure evenly distributed between the balls of my little toes and big toes. Before, when I was getting tired I would naturally revert back to a lateral-dominant gait, whereby I was putting most of the pressure through the outside edge of my foot and the ball of the little toes and that would result in the peroneus longus becoming overworked (amongst other things) and cause a whole bunch of issues.

It sounds as though you're still kind of in the "acute injury" phase at the moment though. If it's a tendon strain, which it sounds as though it might be, you're just going to have to wait for it to heal until you can exercise again without exacerbating the issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Peroneus Longus Injury [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I would naturally revert back to a lateral-dominant gait, whereby I was putting most of the pressure through the outside edge of my foot and the ball of the little toes and that would result in the peroneus longus becoming overworked (amongst other things) and cause a whole bunch of issues.

Interesting..... I notice I do this a lot, if not a high percentage of the time. I felt as though it was wrong and even looking at my left shoes the outside edges are worn a good bit more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well I'm not a physio, so take my advice with a pinch of salt, but that's what my physio told me!

I posted a little bit about it in the thread linked below, my issue was more of a chronic imbalance ultimately resulting in ITBS, although as I mentioned in one of the posts, I believe peroneus longus tightness was contributing heavily. Evening out my gait by making sure my foot-strike is more mid-foot than heel-striking and making sure there's even pressure between the ball of my big-toe and little-toe throughout the stride has definitely helped to stop that muscle getting overworked and tightening up.

From your description, it sounds as though yours is more of an acute injury, like a tendon strain, which is a bit of a different scenario and in my experience requires rest and a gentle return. However, perhaps adjusting your wonky foot-fall might help over-stressing it and help to prevent a recurrence in the future?

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._Issues%3F_P6096821/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
I tore my ACL in my left knee some 13 years ago and never had it repaired. I haven't had any major trouble with it since, other than the fact that it is definitely not as stable as it was. Recently I was running some short sharp hills and the next day had major pain right below the outside of that knee to the point I was limping.

IMO (of course) I think this is pretty simple. Improperly re-habbed ACL is not doing its function, therefore the knee joint is sliding or moving out of range during high intensity loads, forces.

This causes the surrounding tissues to be impacted during movement causing irritation/damage, which obviously gives pain.

So what can be done to restore the ACL to proper compliance and bolster that knee joint?

You won't get (as severe) problems on the bike because the demands on the ACL aren't as great.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply