Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which adapter to use for disk wheel inflation?
Quote | Reply
Getting an aero jacket and they offer a crack pipe pump adapter for 37 usd...

Sounds expensive. Any alternatives?

And how to fix a flat during a race? Need to carry adapter as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Which adapter to use for disk wheel inflation? [andreasjs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am about to order a aerojacket as well. I looked up crack pipe on ebay and found one for $12 shipped going to give it a shot for the price I do not see me needing to use it to much as I will only use the cover for racing obviously. I am assuming you will need to bring the crack pipe with you for a race.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391621041479

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Last edited by: mknight84: Nov 28, 16 5:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just cut the hole bigger so you can get your pump head in there. After, tape it up.

You may not even need to do that since the cover is a little floppy. You may be able to wiggle it in and out with the stock hole.
Quote Reply
Re: Which adapter to use for disk wheel inflation? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Just cut the hole bigger so you can get your pump head in there. After, tape it up.

You may not even need to do that since the cover is a little floppy. You may be able to wiggle it in and out with the stock hole.

Yea, I can fit my JoeBlow pump head inside of both the aerojacket's I have with a little wiggle work.
Quote Reply
Re: Which adapter to use for disk wheel inflation? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is what I did too. I didn't have to cut it until after a few seasons when the opening cracked then I cut and smoothed it out. Much easier than using a crack pipe. I have a cheap crack pipe in my flat kit in case I need it during a race.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep my crack pipe attached to my pump full-time. The valve extension on my front tire doesn't "lock" onto a conventional pump head so I use the crack pipe on the front as well.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remove the screws on my aero jacket beside my fill valve... I can use my regular pump head and it locks on the valve. Like that over a crack pipe and removing/reinstalling the screws isn't that difficult nor do I have to use tools to do it.

That's my solution until I get an actual disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use this one with my silca pump, works great and unlike other adapters I've tried it locks on so I don't have to hold it in place while pumping one-handed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UP1GBR0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Reply
Re: Which adapter to use for disk wheel inflation? [jsk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to run an Aerojacket cover, and I was able to fit a normal pump head in there. This was on an older model, so they may have made the cutout smaller.

Not to hijack the thread, but is there a straightforward adapter for filling disc wheels in the field? I have a zipp disc, and a floor pump. But, I'm still looking at options for flat repair inflation. I'd like to keep using my little Zefal mini pump, since I'm sure I would mess up with the co2 cartridges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one from Genuine Innovations is pretty good. Snaps onto the valve stem to free up both hands for pumping.

https://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply
Re: Which adapter to use for disk wheel inflation? [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Which adapter to use for disk wheel inflation? [radaddio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
radaddio wrote:
Thanks!

I don't think that is going to be used in the field. Just get an Air Chuck and some CO2 cartridges. Most air chucks are very small and should fit in nearly every disc hole. I am partial to the Genuine Innovations Air Chuck Elite SL - you screw the C02 on the air chuck, and then press the air chuck firm against the valve for inflation. A lot of the other air chucks work by unscrewing the CO2 to start flow which I find occasionally people forget about and then waste their C02. It is a few more dollars.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Which adapter to use for disk wheel inflation? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up.

That's a really good price for the Air Chuck. I should really just buck up and go the Co2 route. They're lighter and quicker to use, and it seems like I really don't have a feasible choice now that I'm running a disc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The Silca adapter (Not the $110 Hiro) is $32. That's what I'd go with.

https://silca.cc/...isc-wheel-mini-chuck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i bought the silca hiro pump head solely because of my disc.

sure it's pricey, but trisports had a 30% coupon a few weeks ago and it was worth it to me to never have to fight that stupid disc ever again. the regular crack pipes were a total hassle and i always had to hold them on the wheel or they'd pop off. i've never had a problem with my flat kit co2 inflators since they're small
Last edited by: jazzymusicman: Nov 30, 16 7:19
Quote Reply
Re: Which adapter to use for disk wheel inflation? [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:

Zipp includes this adapter with every Super 9 disc.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: Which adapter to use for disk wheel inflation? [radaddio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
radaddio wrote:
Thanks for the heads up.

That's a really good price for the Air Chuck. I should really just buck up and go the Co2 route. They're lighter and quicker to use, and it seems like I really don't have a feasible choice now that I'm running a disc.

I am a total cheap skate. If I run my training setup for a long time I still pop up an old frame pump and pump by hand. But for races or when it is getting dark out then I always go with C02. Thankfully I haven't had a flat tire in quite a while ** knock on wood **

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone posted a home configured set-up using an (automotive) ball-foot air chuck w/lock, a hose barb and one of those screw on Presta adapters. You can find the first two at your local hardware store for maybe $10-15. Works really great although you have to screw the adapter on the valve each time.

Great idea. I can't take credit for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Which adapter to use for disk wheel inflation? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
Pooks wrote:

Zipp includes this adapter with every Super 9 disc.
After struggling with the older (silver) Silca adapter, I bought this one, but for some reason it doesn't work with my pump. Says it's screws into any Schrader pump head, but mine is Presta w/o threads? Maybe I just can't figure it out. Anyway, the green GI one has a much smaller stem and works fine with my pump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My lezyne pump head fits in easily, which is great as a the zipp crack pipe always leaks air faster than I could pump

http://www.lezyne.com/...chk.php#.WD9h-bXCaEd
Quote Reply
Re: Which adapter to use for disk wheel inflation? [mstange22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mstange22 wrote:
After struggling with the older (silver) Silca adapter, I bought this one, but for some reason it doesn't work with my pump. Says it's screws into any Schrader pump head, but mine is Presta w/o threads? Maybe I just can't figure it out. Anyway, the green GI one has a much smaller stem and works fine with my pump.

So does anyone make a crack pipe that can be used with a normal Presta pump? They all seem to be Presta Valve to Shrader Pump like Silca says on their website:
Silca wrote:
  • Threads into any Schrader pump head
  • Can only be used to inflate Presta valves

It would make sense to me to make a 90 deg adapter for Presta to Presta. My pump takes a second to change from Shrader to Presta, but I'm concerned about borrowed pumps on race morning.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Which adapter to use for disk wheel inflation? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one from Topeak. On the plus side the female end threads onto the valve, on the downside the the internal diameter of the thing is tiny as fuck and it takes forever to inflate a tube.

https://www.topeak.com/...presta-valve-adapter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since $37 sounds expensive, you're probably going to choke on your coffee for this one... best BY FAR is the Silca Hero v2...

https://silca.cc/...locking-presta-chuck

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Which adapter to use for disk wheel inflation? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're borrowing pumps you probably could find someone with shraeder. I have a pretty cheap Giant bike pump that has dual support.

I like to be the guy to always have my bike pump though, even when traveling. If the bike pump is too big you could always consider getting a portable air compressor and use a crack pipe on that. Few guys on our team do that and makes filling up the tires much easier when you can hold the crack pipe with one hand and use the other hand to pump up the bike.
Quote Reply