Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [hopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found it to be fairly accurate for what it's worth. I used it for my IM and it was within a minute or two if we weren't including my restroom break. I also used it for some TT's and found that it was fairly accurate for that too.

In general, I liked it and found it easy to use. I was on a 50% promo rate from being an early adopter, however, after 2-3 years of subscription I opted to stop paying for it. Part of it was accident related and last season was pretty much a wash and couldn't justify the $$ for something I wasn't using. The other part of it was that I had given myself a year to transition from TrainingPeaks to Golden Cheetah. Once I had dropped my TrainingPeaks subscription and was fully into Golden Cheetah it wasn't long until I started learning Aero Lab and also dropped BBS. I still use BBS free version from time to time, but not nearly as much as I used to since I don't find it as valuable for pure TT's.

One thing I did like about the premium version was the file downloads. I found it invaluable being able to load up my IM LOU raceplan on my kickr and ride through that a few times to simulate my ride. Maybe I'm missing some other software but I haven't found a program that lets me ride on a course and customize my CdA so I can virtually ride at my pace instead of a generic pace. So the BBS file was nice because that's essentially what it was. Instead of a gps route, it just prescribed the watts that you'd need to traverse your course. To do this I just ran my race simulation for IM LOU, downloaded the file, and loaded that into Perf Pro Studio as a custom workout. I never was able to make it the course before race day but the BBS file was able to make me feel comfortable with the course. On race day I knew how I had to hold my watts and it was just a matter of putting a picture to all those efforts I had put in on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [hopper1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used it to figure out how long and at what watts I should do the biggest climbs at Ironman Canada in Whistler. Then I took those values and did them on the trainer on the huge mountain on Zwift many times before the race. The result was that was the first time I'd ever finished the bike of an Ironman thinking, "That's it?" And that's one of the hardest bike courses out there. Never before had I felt so prepared for the IM bike.

If that's what you use it for, I highly recommend it. Not sure otherwise. Depends on your needs per race.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
BBS assumes you have sufficient gearing. Get more teeth and you'll be set.

There's only so much range, the 52/11 gets spun out (37mph@100rpm) & turning the 36/28 takes ~135% FTP (7mph@70rpm).
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, swap out for a 52/34 and 11-32 and learn to spin through 120.

Now you've got a speed range from 5.8 to 44.4mph!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did you go about making the transition to golden cheetah? I've been trying to do it for a while now and seem to be stuck in the learning curve of videos and experimentation. Can you offer any advice?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:

Alternatively just increase your FTP and lower your weight. Check!
Last edited by: commendatore: Jun 15, 17 18:14
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
commendatore wrote:
dfroelich wrote:

Gearing/FTP/weight etc... all miss the point. The hill I'm talking about is ~16%.

I got up it fine, 7 times in a row, putting out ~400W.

Thing is if i simulate it on BBS I'll get nowhere near 400W on the hill section. So in this case the simulation isn't a good representation of reality.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
It was scarey accurate the one time I used it - like within 2.5 mins over an IM.

Math is cool like that.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
commendatore wrote:
dfroelich wrote:

Gearing/FTP/weight etc... all miss the point. The hill I'm talking about is ~16%.

I got up it fine, 7 times in a row, putting out ~400W.

Thing is if i simulate it on BBS I'll get nowhere near 400W on the hill section. So in this case the simulation isn't a good representation of reality.
I don't think it misses the point. The point is that you don't want to use the BBS plan for this hill. If you wanted to limit yourself to 125%FTP which is what you told BBS, then you may need to change gearing. If you're happy to do higher power and stick with what you've got, surely you can't blame BBS for the inconsistency? You can't expect results to be accurate if the data you input isn't. Having said that I'm sure there will be circumstances where sufficient gearing isn't available or the suggested speed is too low to maintain balance but from what you're saying I'm not sure that's what you're dealing with.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All I'm suggesting is that BBS indicates an issue with the request.

Post generation I could look at a plan (for a course I've never seen) to see minimum speed & evaluate if that meant my max power restriction was invalid. But a simple 'invalid conditions' warning of some kind would be preferable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
All I'm suggesting is that BBS indicates an issue with the request.

Post generation I could look at a plan (for a course I've never seen) to see minimum speed & evaluate if that meant my max power restriction was invalid. But a simple 'invalid conditions' warning of some kind would be preferable.
But what are the invalid conditions? I don't understand what BBS is supposed to think is wrong.
You've stated a max power of 125%FTP and BBS has provided a solution that achieves that. The problem is you're unhappy with the cadence resulting from such a low speed. This is outside the scope of what BBS is simulating. As it stands, it's not that BBS isn't telling you about a problem, it's that BBS doesn't know there's a problem. It's not a foible, it's just a new feature you'd like. At least that's my take on it.
I don't see why they couldn't add such a feature if they allowed for a minimum speed limit as an input but it would add complexity to their model. It could alternatively be done based on a low cadence limit input but that would require you to enter a couple of other inputs too, i.e. min available gear ratio and tyre circumference).

From memory, their model is currently constrained by NP, max power, max speed. minimum speed could presumably be added to that, but it's not currently there.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvinbal6 wrote:
How did you go about making the transition to golden cheetah? I've been trying to do it for a while now and seem to be stuck in the learning curve of videos and experimentation. Can you offer any advice?

Well, I gave myself a year to make the switch completely. I had renewed TP premium and decided it would be the last time. I slowly started using different parts of Golden Cheetah. First I was just happy to get my files in there automatically. Over time I used more parts including Aero Lab. I still don't think I'm using GC to it's fullest, but it works for me. I also think that I have a somewhat simplified need since I only do TT's these days and no longer triathlons. I do think the best thing I did though was just give myself lots of time. It was overwhelming to try to learn everything at once, but if I just thought "okay, how do i do this?" and then spent some time figuring out how to auto-upload workouts from my Garmin desktop folder to GC. Then I wanted to figure out how to add workout notes and descriptions, etc, etc. I know from prior experience with Golden Cheetah that it was just too overwhelming for me to learn all at once. So just take it slow, have an idea of what you want to do and then try to figure out how to do that via trial and error or looking online.

For Aero Lab specifically I was able to get help from Rob @ TTF (aka user Nutshell). He provided some user notes on Aero Lab, though they may be sitting behind his aero coaching website these days since it doesn't look like the link in his OP is live anymore.

Original TTF post: http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/...er-2016-update/&

His website is: http://www.floataero.com/

Full disclosure, I do have a mentor relationship with Rob, though the notes were provided for free to everyone at one point in time. Just not sure if that is still the case or not.

There's also some scattered info on aerolab in the platypus thread here on ST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Foible/Feature is arguable.

An optimal/viable gearing output would be a nice feature.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [Calvinbal6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvinbal6 wrote:

I'm not sure how far along you are, but I found the following videos helpful. I wish there were sticky threads for stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/...9uhwMdthQ&t=598s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON5tMfc-1hQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Sw3vOCq9U
https://www.youtube.com/...Cn9soTvXx7U&t=7s

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have thought about adding a min climbing speed option under advanced. Currently I think I have that in the model as low as 4-5 mph... so that would help and could potentially override the 125%. I'll have to do some digging.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mrcooper wrote:
I have thought about adding a min climbing speed option under advanced. Currently I think I have that in the model as low as 4-5 mph... so that would help and could potentially override the 125%. I'll have to do some digging.

Magic, that would certainly do the trick, I was only hoping for flagging min_speed impossible @ max_power, if you could set max_power as a soft constraint w.r.t. min speed that's even better.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [Mrcooper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is a very minor point, but it would be nice to not have to log in every time I return to the site (which is fairly frequently).

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bike Split... Users. [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mostly do the math fun, but I'll pass that along for sure!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply

Prev Next