Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Alpha x upgrade ?
Quote | Reply
Hi

I bought a new FELT IA 16 last year and am looking to upgrade - figured the frame was good but the other parts I could change out

Bought the omega brake already and considering buying the alpha x

I don't know if they stock aero bar is fast or not , my eyeball test is that it's Ok

Do any of you aero geeks have any thoughts ?

Much appreciated

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Alpha x upgrade ? [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Hi

I bought a new FELT IA 16 last year and am looking to upgrade - figured the frame was good but the other parts I could change out

Bought the omega brake already and considering buying the alpha x

I don't know if they stock aero bar is fast or not , my eyeball test is that it's Ok

Do any of you aero geeks have any thoughts ?

Much appreciated

Steve

I'm thinking about the same thing. Currently have the aluminum shiv bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Realistically if you can hit your position in the stock bar you probably wouldn't be saving much by upgrading. I think Tririg only found about 30g of difference between the Felt bar and the Alpha C.

If you're looking to get more aero and burn $1000 you'd probably be better up hitting up Heath Dotson and going to A2 or Jim at ERO and doing some testing.

Congrats on the new bike, it's a sweet one!
Last edited by: Gjadams: Nov 26, 16 13:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing this very upgrade to my IA16 now. I just got my little speed kit today...

Quote Reply
Re: Alpha x upgrade ? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

Did you have this installed ?

Got mine back today and it does not look very clean at all

Cables everywhere

I thought they were meant to be hidden - LBS gave me some bullshit about he could not possibly hide them ?

Anyone have any photos with DI2 ?
Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
Got mine back today and it does not look very clean at all

Cables everywhere

I thought they were meant to be hidden - LBS gave me some bullshit about he could not possibly hide them ?

Anyone have any photos with DI2 ?
No, I will be doing it myself. I love bike work. I hope to get it done this coming weekend (the last two weeks were full). Mine will be all mechanical, but I cannot imagine I will have any challenges keeping it clean; the IA is pretty clean as it is. I cannot imagine what kind of moron did a dirty Di2 install on a Felt IA with a Tririg. Check out Tririg's pictures of their IA10 conversion. It is awesome. http://www.tririg.com/...03_Felt_IA_10_Review

And check out this post of another Alpha X Di2 install on a Felt. It is like perfectly clean. http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=6221766#p6221766
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many thanks for the swift reply

What I meant to say is any photos without DI2 ?

I may just e mail Nick also

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UKINNY wrote:
What I meant to say is any photos without DI2?
Doh... I will have a bunch of photos in about a week. I am so stoked for this upgrade. Since I am having to re-cable everything, I went ahead and bought new take-off Ultegra FD & RD for cheap. And then, I bought a set of Shimano Dura Ace bar end shifters (also for relatively cheap). When it is done, it will be an almost entirely new drivetrain. (I have already replace the cassette, and I have a new high quality chain waiting to go on with the derailleurs.

When done, I expect the cables to be almost the same as they were withe the Bayonet bar. I will have the rear brake cable coming out the back of the stem, and the derailleur cables should be exactly the same as they were. The one variable is whether I can have the front cable use the stop in the stem or if I have to route it all the way to the brake. I have seen it both ways on an IA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So yours won't look like this then ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok that did not work
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bummer. I am guessing you are trying to post a picture, and I am anxious to see it...

It is a 2-step process. The first is to click the "browse" button below the post box to select your file. I always check the "inline" checkbox as well. Then click Upload. If you file is too big, you will get get an error. After that, click the little picture frame in the editing bar, and click the inline option there, and then select your uploaded picture file.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too big - try this - surely they can thread the cables through the front or back portals on the base bar

http://tinypic.com/1r55fj1h
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope - bollox
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This should work but then I am useless at this stuff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That actually looks pretty good. The derailleur cables are about as clean as you can make them. And the rear brake cable is totally invisible to the wind and the eye. I cannot see the front brake cable, however. That looks like it might take a long loop from the right side and back to the brake. If that is the case, then it is a crappy run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I was being unrealistic

Now I look and think more there is no way to do more even with the ability to thread through the bar

The holes I assume are more for the DI2 cables

They over sell the cable management to dumb bike folks like me !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, you started with the Bayonet 3 bar, which has some of the best aerodynamic cable management out there. The Tririg mostly just matches that. But, if you had one of a multitude of other bars, the cable routing would have been far worse going in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The front brake cable could most definitely be better. It should be bare wire straight down from the alphaX to the brake.
Quote Reply
Re: Alpha x upgrade ? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think it can be, the nose of the AI sticks out too far. look at the pic on tririg, where they have to use housing to get out in front of the headtube. hole in stem too far back
Quote Reply
Re: Alpha x upgrade ? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Correct but it was not even straight and was stuck out to one side - managed to fix that myself

Cheers
Quote Reply