Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Race day running shoes
Quote | Reply
Requesting some advice on race day running shoes. I've been wearing Brooks Adrenaline GTS since being fitted into them many years ago and think they still work for training. Does anyone know the correlating race shoes for 70.3 and 140.6 race distances? I'm looking for a lighter weight shoe that I can put some quick laces in.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Race day running shoes [BW1414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you like Brooks, you might look at the Ghost or the Launch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using Sketcher's Go Meb with some quick laces for a couple seasons. They wouldn't have been my first choice but got a free pair through my coach and gave them a shot. I've raced with them them ever since. Really comfortable (I race without socks) and perform great at the olympic and 70.3 distances I race. Probably not the best choice if the run is through a lot of grass/slick terrain but I really like them.

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hoka Clifton 3.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Race day running shoes [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try a few other lighter models and rotate them in 1-2 days a week. Keep trying shoes until you find one your like. If you don't like it for races, just "use it up" on short recovery run days.

I don't think you necessarily need to stick to the same type of shoe. Just find one that's both light, fits really well and has enough of the "features" stability, support to work over the distance.

If you have good run mechanics in general, don;t fear using a very minimal shoes even for a 140.6. I think adding weight for more cushion can be a fools errand. If a heavy shoes causes your mechanics to fall apart quicker, resulting in less economy and running slower, then it's a downward spiral. Would you rather be done 20' sooner? or have your feet a little more "comfy"? Just my own personal experience, my feet and legs aren't sore because of minimal cushioning, it's from the fatigue of biking and running for 6+ hours. Nothing will "fix" that kind of fatigue.

Finally, also factor in the weight of the shoe when "waterlogged" as it will be the last 10 miles. Some shoes drain better and are made of less absorbent materials. Also, ventilation in general creates less sweat, cooler, less fatigued feet and less blisters. For me, blisters are the #1 performance factor. Minimla shoes don't necessarily result in more blisters.

Just my $0.10.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was also fitted with the brooks GTS adrenaline years ago and have since moved to the Launch for longer races and use the ST racer for short races. I loved the adrenaline until I put on my first pair of Launch and have never looked back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can go too minimal though. I did an ironman run on Sockwa ?'X6'. They don't have laces and I was happy doing long distances in them. The problem is you are more fatigued than normal and I stood on two stones, cue a change in running style and blisters. Just to the inside of the ball of one foot was sore for weeks.

I still think they are excellent for short races where the risk is acceptable. They are very light and transition is super quick. I prefer something with a little front foot padding for longer races, particularly for the start when running style is still clunky. I would also rate them for running only races.
Quote Reply
Re: Race day running shoes [loosegroove] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like above, I also wore the GTS adrenaline and switched to the Launch for my races. I keep some GTS adrenaline for longer winter miles but have to say I love the launch! And adjusted to them easily and quickly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this for any further recommendations?

I'm a regular Brooks Adrenaline GTS wearer looking for some lightweight racing shoes for track sessions and short races.
Quote Reply
Re: Race day running shoes [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd second the above recommendation of the Brooks ST Racers. Also worth a look might be the PureFlow (go 4s or the new 6s, skip the 5s).

I like Brooks shoes, and have used the T7s up to half-marathon, ST 5s to full marathon, PureFlow 4s to 50km.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have lots of options listed. I'll make a case for sticking to functional needs. You were suggested the Adrenaline for a reason and more importantly it's been your shoe choice for years. That means it's meeting your functional needs. I'm not a fan of racing in a shoe that doesn't match your functional needs unless you are at the pointy end of the field. Javier Gomez switchs from heavy stability for training to paper thin racing shoes but he's Javier. All that said the standard bearers for lightweight stability are the DS Trainer and DS Racer from Asics. The results in the Kona shoe count and other shoe counts all over the world is these are the shoes of choice.

Among the options listed these would worth checking out.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a big Saucony guy. For races you have the Type A, Type A6, and the Fastwitch although I wouldn't wear the Type A and Type A6 for a 26.2. For marathons and Iron distance the Kinvara is a good choice as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Race day running shoes [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I'm using Saucony Guides for training, what's the equivalent race version? Using custom insoles in each.
Quote Reply
Re: Race day running shoes [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here are some thoughts.

Racing Flat - Fastwitch (May or May not work with the insoles. Depends on the insole and your foot)

Lightweight with your custom insoles: Kinvara (Not a functional match but with the insoles it should be plenty supportive)

Lightweight fairly supportive with your insoles: Zealot

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really couldn't answer that. I know that the Guide has an 8mm drop while the shoes I mentioned all have 4mm drop. Not sure if that makes a difference for you but I would be hesitant. Of course I'm kinda paranoid about injuries so maybe my concern is baseless.
Quote Reply
Re: Race day running shoes [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
Bumping this for any further recommendations?

I'm a regular Brooks Adrenaline GTS wearer looking for some lightweight racing shoes for track sessions and short races.

If I'm not wrong, the Adrenaline GTS have moderate pronation support. I like the suggestion for the Pure range, but if you need a bit of support I'd have to recommend the PureCadence above the PureFlow. I really love mine, they are pretty lightweight and only 4mm drop which suits me very well. I use them from sprint to full distance. I've only used up to the PureCadence 3 though, never ran in the 4 or 5... hoping they haven't changed too much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, I don't know if there's going to be a ton of benefit to a "racing" shoe for IM distance, unless you're going to be running sub-3:20 off the bike. Otherwise I think you'll be more comfortable running in your Adrenalines.

Now, that being said, here's what I would look at (shoes at the top are lighter weight, shoes at the bottom a little more substantial):

Saucony Fastwitch - light midfoot posting, 4 mm drop. My old racing shoe (as a former Adrenaline guy).
Brooks Asteria - the replacement for the ST Racer. Haven't worn it, but looks very interesting.
Brooks PureCadence - the stability shoe of the Pure Project line up, 4 mm drop, softer/more forgiving.
Mizuno Wave Catalyst - the replacement for the old Elixir. I wish that they still made the v1 Sayonara...but that's just me.
Saucony Guide - comparable to your Adrenalines, just a little lighter. Shouldn't tell much a difference in the offset between this and the Adrenaline.

Couple shoes that I find I can run in everyday that don't feature posting, but because of their design feel excellent:

Saucony Freedom ISO
New Balance 1080v6
Hoka Conquest/Bondi

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
If I'm using Saucony Guides for training, what's the equivalent race version? Using custom insoles in each.
Why can't you race in your Guides? I do.
Quote Reply
Re: Race day running shoes [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Brooks Hyperion is a great lightweight shoe for shorter races and track work.

Banger
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like the Adrenaline you will LOVE the Launch with Yanks.
Quote Reply