Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DL Sprint Duathlon Race in Bend location?
Quote | Reply
Currently, USAT just came out with their schedules and courses for the Du Nationals at Bend on June 17 and 18th.
The races Sat are NDL and use skyline which has the great hill which takes away most drafting issues.

But, currently, they are also planning to do the DL Sprint on Sunday, which IMO, makes no sense since one cannot draft on a total
hill course.

So for the folks who live at, know bend, etc., is there a location, that you think they could get permits for, that is a flatter course
that would really allow the DL race to have real drafting potential?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: DL Sprint Duathlon Race in Bend location? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why can't you draft on a hilly course? Safety concern?

It's ~800 feet over 6 miles up and then back down. I've not figured out that calculation grade wise. But I don't think it's *that* dangerous.

What it means is it actually will be a strength course where front pack athletes truly will get advantage.

ETA: Want to draft at this event? Learn to run really really fast. Because if you can't, you'll get crushed on this course as the group simply puts time in you. Good on USAT for having a legit bike course in their DL events.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 17, 16 15:21
Quote Reply
Re: DL Sprint Duathlon Race in Bend location? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll second that. I raced the sprint duathlon at Nationals and the very similar TT course for Cascade Cycling Classic. Most of the course is under 3% grade, and the lack of turning combined with excellent surface make me totally unconcerned with safety with drafting on that course.

More to the original point, the fairly low grade also means there's still a substantial gain for drafting. I was on my road bike without aerobars for the duathlon, and was still averaging around 16 mph or so for most of the way up. That's well into the range of drafting making a difference.

Plus, the elevation, the hill on the way out, and sore legs from racing twice in one weekend ought to combine and fry everyone who runs faster to try and stay with a group. I'm looking forward to racing both DL and conventional next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The course maps are up on the USAT Website.

The NON Draft Sprint is the same as last year. We go five miles up Skyliners Rd and straight down (The standard is two climbs).

The DRAFT Sprint goes half-way up Skyliners, back down and repeats. So there are two shorter climbs in the DL race.
Quote Reply
Re: DL Sprint Duathlon Race in Bend location? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit concerned about the speeds on the downhill, especially since this is the first time they are using this course for a draft legal race. There's also the problem of having riders who are not so good with drafting going 35 mph within a few inches of each other.

Still, I think they did a good job last year and trust they'll do a good job with this. They're using the bottom of Skyliners and my understanding is that keeps the descent under 5%.
Quote Reply
Re: DL Sprint Duathlon Race in Bend location? [Desert Tortoise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desert Tortoise wrote:
I'm a bit concerned about the speeds on the downhill, especially since this is the first time they are using this course for a draft legal race. There's also the problem of having riders who are not so good with drafting going 35 mph within a few inches of each other.

Still, I think they did a good job last year and trust they'll do a good job with this. They're using the bottom of Skyliners and my understanding is that keeps the descent under 5%.

Nah, the speed on the hills is not that great going downhill

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have friends who live on Skyliners and I've stayed with them many times.
The course is more or less ideal for less experienced draft-legal riders. Plenty of drafting is possible, but also enough of a challenge that you can't really sit in unless you're fairly comparable to the people you're riding with. The road has very few turns and you can ride downhill without really paying attention. You'll have to pedal the whole way down if you want to go fast. Smooth road, good sight lines, shallow grade. If you can't draft in that situation, you should probably sell your bike or actually ride the thing.
Quote Reply