Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Low Iron question...
Quote | Reply
So my daughter just turned 16, she does triathlons in the summer, CC in fall, swimming in winter & track in spring...she basically trains year round. She has two a days for all of these sports except track. The summer she has swimming in the morning and CC runs in the evening. Three times within the past 6 months we have had to take her to the Dr. because she has had low energy and just wants to sleep all the time. Each time they test her for mono, but it comes back negative. This past week the same thing happened again, but each time they take blood samples her iron levels fall just within normal ranges. Here are blood test results for iron for the past three visits: 12, 13 & 14.5. Are these too low for someone such as herself who is constantly working out? Since our family Dr. hasn't done anything we have scheduled an appointment with another Dr. A few girls on her CC team tell her they shared the same symptoms until they were treated for low iron...

any insight would be greatly appreciated...

I thought about having her start taking an over-the-counter supplement until we see the new Dr. in 2 weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Low Iron question... [mdiet22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. What is her ferritin?
2. She's training twice a day for multiple sports. She can relax every once in a while.
Life is stressful, school is stressful, family is stressful and sports are stressful.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mdiet22 wrote:
So my daughter just turned 16, she does triathlons in the summer, CC in fall, swimming in winter & track in spring...she basically trains year round. She has two a days for all of these sports except track. The summer she has swimming in the morning and CC runs in the evening. Three times within the past 6 months we have had to take her to the Dr. because she has had low energy and just wants to sleep all the time. Each time they test her for mono, but it comes back negative. This past week the same thing happened again, but each time they take blood samples her iron levels fall just within normal ranges. Here are blood test results for iron for the past three visits: 12, 13 & 14.5. Are these too low for someone such as herself who is constantly working out? Since our family Dr. hasn't done anything we have scheduled an appointment with another Dr. A few girls on her CC team tell her they shared the same symptoms until they were treated for low iron...

any insight would be greatly appreciated...

I thought about having her start taking an over-the-counter supplement until we see the new Dr. in 2 weeks.

In the U.S. my understanding is that the threshold for SF is 11 for low but in Canada and according to WHO 15 is low for females.

Basically talk to your doctor, we have mandatory blood tests at program start. Some national orgs like AIS and cross country ski Canada recommend levels at 35 or over for SF.

There could be other issues at hand that a doctor may need to do tests for IE gastro bleeding etc.

Can you find a good sports med doctor? Maybe don't supplement on your own...until you get the OK from a professional.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went through this over the summer-here is my recap from my blog. My ferritin (stored iron) got as low as 5. There are some studies that show athletes performances to decline significantly if their ferritin is low; even if their hemaglobin is only "slightly" low. Docs will order CBCs, but insist on a ferritin test as well....I started taking SLOW FE 2 x a day and within about 2-3 weeks could run without shortness of breath and no longer craved a nap every day. I also added fish and poultry (including chicken liver) to my diet.
http://foodsensenow.com/...e-with-tahini-sauce/

leslie myers
http://www.foodsensenow.com
Last edited by: Honey: Nov 14, 16 19:34
Quote Reply
Re: Low Iron question... [Honey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have her eat some more red meat. red meat is red... because of the amount of iron in it. dont over cook it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay with & consult a doctor's opinion(s). A forum is not an official health care consultant. While some may be in the medical field, taking this sort of advice from someone you do not know on the internet is not safe, regardless of the background they say or may claim to have. I would work directly with someone in your PHC facility. But certainly beating the weeds for possible other things to consider or bring up with your doctor he/she may have not thought of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I'm 40 years old with a ferritin at 37 ! I try to increase fer intake with (liver, meet etc...), second way oral supplement Tardyferon, ALWAYS vit C without milk product or coffee. Only small increase in blood ferritin!! So fer injection 1 time a week during 3 weeks, result ferritin droop from 37 to 90 ! Conclusion I have some problems to absorb it.
Quote Reply