Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Tri Suit? I got $400 in B Day money [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:
Why do they have to be non restrictive on the swim? If its a full zip top just swim with it down. The Roka takes me almost no time to put on. Roka said its made to swim in but it's way too restrictive to swim comfortably.

I think the better question is has anyone tested swimming full gas, getting out of the swim, running full gas putting on the suit, into the wind tunnel and testing. Is it even any faster when it is pulled up all crooked, sleeves rolled, wet, possibly well worn and stretched, and often 1 size too large.

I did wind tunnel test different suits last month--My well used and a bit tattered LG Course suit against the Roka Elite Aero SS, Kiwami Spider LD, and 1 other MFG. I tested the the LG with shorts and sleeves rolled up a bit to simulate my real-world experience since that suit doesn't have grippers. I fully expected it to be slower than at least the Kiwami (the best fitting of the bunch) and maybe another as well. To my surprise, the LG still came out on top. Of course YMMV.

I don't find swimming with sleeves under a wetsuit to be restrictive--my well worn rotator cuffs provide all the restriction I need. I would be very curious of the hydrodynamic drag of sleeves in a non-wetsuit legal race. My guess is the added drag is a lot less than swimming with a watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas.... I agree with you that getting on the bike with the train is absolutely critical. But that really only applies to the pro field and maybe the amateur field at kona and 70.3 worlds, depending on your swim ability.

I swam with my LG suit rolled down yesterday under my wetsuit. I had the LG suit rolled up and ready to zip up by the time I got to my transition spot. I wasted maybe 5 seconds zipping up the suit.

I definitely think there are pros/cons to rolling it down vs not rolling it down:

Rolling it down:
pro - don't stretch out the suit during the swim, less restrictive
con - possible wrinkles/crookedness on the bike negating aero benefit. Takes time in transition to pull it up

Not rolling it down:
pro - don't have to worry about rolling it up in transition. It fits properly before starting the swim
con - stretching it out during the swim which could negate the aero benefits. Restrictive on the swim.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Suit? I got $400 in B Day money [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xing triathlete wrote:
I don't find swimming with sleeves under a wetsuit to be restrictive--my well worn rotator cuffs provide all the restriction I need. I would be very curious of the hydrodynamic drag of sleeves in a non-wetsuit legal race. My guess is the added drag is a lot less than swimming with a watch.

They all swam with sleeves in Super League Triathlon. It's too bad open water courses aren't equal where we could get a better sense of how fast they went in the races.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Suit? I got $400 in B Day money [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't swim with the sleeved suits on. Too tight on my shoulders but, like you, I have had ZERO issues getting the suit up on the way to transition. I had the LG two seasons ago and it was super easy to get up, the only thing that slowed me down was the zipper since I had to actually pay attention but even then it was a few seconds. I have the Wattie Ink suit now that it is a bit harder to get on since it isn't a full zip but also easier once it's on since I just zip up and tug the sleeves to make sure they're the way they should be.

For the AG field I just don't see the issue with having it rolled down. Maybe there are suits that are tight enough to cause no wrinkles on the bike that also isn't too tight to swim in but I would rather be safe than sorry, even if it is only mental thinking the suit is too tight on the shoulders to swim in.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Suit? I got $400 in B Day money [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Thomas.... I agree with you that getting on the bike with the train is absolutely critical. But that really only applies to the pro field and maybe the amateur field at kona and 70.3 worlds, depending on your swim ability.

I swam with my LG suit rolled down yesterday under my wetsuit. I had the LG suit rolled up and ready to zip up by the time I got to my transition spot. I wasted maybe 5 seconds zipping up the suit.

I definitely think there are pros/cons to rolling it down vs not rolling it down:

Rolling it down:
con - possible wrinkles/crookedness on the bike negating aero benefit. Takes time in transition to pull it up

Not rolling it down:
pro - don't have to worry about rolling it up in transition. It fits properly before starting the swim
con - stretching it out during the swim which could negate the aero benefits. Restrictive on the swim.

No the train isn't critical for AGers that is where there the swim comes in. How much is it being rolled down going to matter. Essentially you are creating wider hips by bunching the material up around the waist. Is that good or bad. Hard to tell without testing. Then there is a fact that many pros are testing slower with sleeved kits. AJ Baucco, Cody Beals, Matt Hanson to name a few. How many more out there. Without actually testing you could be slower on the bike for all you know. Then there is the whole discussion of a perfectly placed kit for the wind tunnel versus what happens in a race. I find that sleeveless tend to sit naturally where sleeved kits are all over the place, the shoulders get messed up the, the arms roll etc.

I have always been sort of on the fence about these kits to begin with and still remain that way.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Suit? I got $400 in B Day money [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xing triathlete wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
ffmedic84 wrote:
Why do they have to be non restrictive on the swim? If its a full zip top just swim with it down. The Roka takes me almost no time to put on. Roka said its made to swim in but it's way too restrictive to swim comfortably.

I think the better question is has anyone tested swimming full gas, getting out of the swim, running full gas putting on the suit, into the wind tunnel and testing. Is it even any faster when it is pulled up all crooked, sleeves rolled, wet, possibly well worn and stretched, and often 1 size too large.

I did wind tunnel test different suits last month--My well used and a bit tattered LG Course suit against the Roka Elite Aero SS, Kiwami Spider LD, and 1 other MFG. I tested the the LG with shorts and sleeves rolled up a bit to simulate my real-world experience since that suit doesn't have grippers. I fully expected it to be slower than at least the Kiwami (the best fitting of the bunch) and maybe another as well. To my surprise, the LG still came out on top. Of course YMMV.

Good stuff. Thanks for the data point. Any chance you could send me your wind tunnel file. Also what were the sizes of the various suits?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Suit? I got $400 in B Day money [photoguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
photoguy wrote:
So jumping on this thread for some advice. I am looking for a trisuit for Honu 70.3. a Non wetsuit swim. But i live in Canada, where i would otherwise be racing and wearing it under a wetsuit. Possibly for IMC 2017.

You mentioned something about a rule change, not sure if it applies to mid to back of the pack guys like myself. but what is that referring to?

The suits i was looking at are all sleeveless, but just wondering if i should look at sleeved instead? And when you mention rolled down, is that in wetsuit swims only or non wetsuit swims as well?

The rule change is the zipper can only be down to the sternum now. That is not very far down fwiw. The question now is what happens if your zipper breaks. The zipper breaking thing is not super common but it does happen.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
photoguy wrote:
So jumping on this thread for some advice. I am looking for a trisuit for Honu 70.3. a Non wetsuit swim. But i live in Canada, where i would otherwise be racing and wearing it under a wetsuit. Possibly for IMC 2017.

You mentioned something about a rule change, not sure if it applies to mid to back of the pack guys like myself. but what is that referring to?

The suits i was looking at are all sleeveless, but just wondering if i should look at sleeved instead? And when you mention rolled down, is that in wetsuit swims only or non wetsuit swims as well?

The rule change is the zipper can only be down to the sternum now. That is not very far down fwiw. The question now is what happens if your zipper breaks. The zipper breaking thing is not super common but it does happen.
Grab a safety pin or two from an aid station. Theyve usually got extras for bib numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Suit? I got $400 in B Day money [test] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
test wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
photoguy wrote:

Grab a safety pin or two from an aid station. Theyve usually got extras for bib numbers.

that might be an acceptable solution in a pinch. For me in a 70.3 I can't afford to give up the time though and I am even a fan of walking for a few seconds to let the HR drop and body absorb fluids.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
stevej wrote:

Rolling it down:

Not rolling it down:

No the train isn't critical for AGers that is where there the swim comes in. How much is it being rolled down going to matter. Essentially you are creating wider hips by bunching the material up around the waist. Is that good or bad. Hard to tell without testing. Then there is a fact that many pros are testing slower with sleeved kits. AJ Baucco, Cody Beals, Matt Hanson to name a few. How many more out there. Without actually testing you could be slower on the bike for all you know. Then there is the whole discussion of a perfectly placed kit for the wind tunnel versus what happens in a race. I find that sleeveless tend to sit naturally where sleeved kits are all over the place, the shoulders get messed up the, the arms roll etc.

I have always been sort of on the fence about these kits to begin with and still remain that way.

Non-pro here. I see no difference between sleeved and sleeveless both in the tunnel and in field testing. Actually, in one instance a sleeved kit was markedly slower (3 or 4 watts, don't recall but it was my Virklon kit) than a sleeveless Kiwami kit. I think the bottom line is that you have to test to know.

If I were advising a friend racing non-wetsuit Olympics or 70.3s and he couldn't test (sleeved vs sleeveless) but was trying to be as fast as possible.... weighing the issues of potential shoulder restriction in the swim, extra time in transition, uncertainty of the aero due to real world "race fit" of sleeves.... I'd have to suggest going with a good, fast sleeveless kit that was, itself, on the border of being a swim skin as well (e.g. Kiwami Amphibian Prima, etc).
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Suit? I got $400 in B Day money [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jrielley wrote:
I can't swim with the sleeved suits on. Too tight on my shoulders but, like you, I have had ZERO issues getting the suit up on the way to transition. I had the LG two seasons ago and it was super easy to get up, the only thing that slowed me down was the zipper since I had to actually pay attention but even then it was a few seconds. I have the Wattie Ink suit now that it is a bit harder to get on since it isn't a full zip but also easier once it's on since I just zip up and tug the sleeves to make sure they're the way they should be.

For the AG field I just don't see the issue with having it rolled down. Maybe there are suits that are tight enough to cause no wrinkles on the bike that also isn't too tight to swim in but I would rather be safe than sorry, even if it is only mental thinking the suit is too tight on the shoulders to swim in.

Kiwami Spider Aero

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Suit? I got $400 in B Day money [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard amazing things about that suit and actually talked to Andre about it. Still on the fence if I need a new suit. Or I guess I don't really NEED it, more like I WANT it. But want vs. need is big when my wife and I are trying to buy our first house!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me know if you need any more info. I know what you mean about need vs want though. I will say that my collection has grown and I'm a big fan of all of them from my Aero to the ITU style and even the 2 piece. The new colors are intriguing me now.....
Quote Reply
Re: Best Tri Suit? I got $400 in B Day money [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will do! Thanks for the info and I will let you know if I have questions. And I do like the new colors. They're different and kinda cool.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've got good taste! ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next