Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Frontal area calculation in GCN video about team Sky [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would the FA app be stand alone? I don't really need the fitting but it would be great to be able to do this in the basement over the winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Frontal area calculation in GCN video about team Sky [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At first it will be only standalone. Few normal computers can handle two Kinects so we've got a bit of work to do to fire the FA data into the Motion capture application.

We're looking at how we could deliver a version suited to winter basement use.
Quote Reply
Re: Frontal area calculation in GCN video about team Sky [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
trail wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:
trail wrote:
Frontal area correlates extremely well with aero.

To quote Robert Chung: hmmm.

(See slide 12 of this presentation: http://www.slideshare.net/...nd-tunnel-compressed)

That might be the graph I was referring to. The correlation isn't particularly surprising.

I don't get the "Chung comment." Attribution? (Which I clearly stated I didn't remember).

No, Robert has a habit of politely disputing people's comments by saying "Hmmm."

As for frontal area, there is indeed a correlation; I was just questioning your use of the adjective "extremely well" to describe it.

I don't know how these numbers were produced, but I would have thought that the r2 for a given form drag would be close to 1. If you reduce the frontal area by altering the shape of the object, obviously you have additional variables in your equation.
Quote Reply
Re: Frontal area calculation in GCN video about team Sky [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timtek wrote:
This will give a two-dimensional snapshot of the rider, but aren't things [unmeasured by frontal area] like airfoil camber and thickness equally as important? It seems to me we'd all be riding on 700c x 19mm wheels/tires if frontal area was a valid measurement of aero.

Aren't wider tires a case of crr + comfort > aero? Especially in the back where it's faired?
Quote Reply
Re: Frontal area calculation in GCN video about team Sky [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoffmeister wrote:
I don't know how these numbers were produced, but I would have thought that the r2 for a given form drag would be close to 1. If you reduce the frontal area by altering the shape of the object, obviously you have additional variables in your equation.
It's pretty hard to do one without affecting the other.

http://www.cyclecoach.com
http://www.aerocoach.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Frontal area calculation in GCN video about team Sky [AlexS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlexS wrote:
Hoffmeister wrote:

It's pretty hard to do one without affecting the other.

Yeah, that was my point exactly - thus you cannot expect perfect correlation between frontal area and drag.
Quote Reply
Re: Frontal area calculation in GCN video about team Sky [sebo2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sebo2000 wrote:
lyrrad wrote:
I have an app on my ipad that does this, along with analysis of joint angles etc whilst pedaling

That app only does fit, no frontal area...
Did you download it and try?
Quote Reply
Re: Frontal area calculation in GCN video about team Sky [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I am the lead developer of Bioracer Aero. You can find an overview video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJsJ7jOYXRE

If you have any questions, please ask.

There are a lot of updates coming:
  • (ready) a contour system so you can easily compare poses
  • (very near term) a training module to train a posture, with a report giving statistics about the "frontal area zones" you were in, and before-after shots of times your frontal area changed enough during the training
  • (a bit longer term) bi-directional ANT+ support: displaying and using your ANT+ data in the software, but also haptical feedback for training on smart trainers: less resistance when your frontal area is lower. That way, you can "feel" when you go more or less aero.

Kind regards,
Jeroen
Last edited by: JeroenDierckx: Nov 15, 16 12:42
Quote Reply
Re: Frontal area calculation in GCN video about team Sky [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What they use in the video it called Bioracer Aero.
It is super accurate and works amazing when you are fitting a cyclist but want to keep the aero aspect in consideration.
In the US it is imported by BelgiumBike the Bioracer distributor for $3000
It has no annual fees or update fees. Info@belgiumbike.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next