Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [rsmoylan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really mixed feelings about this. I've raced it three years in a row and as a family event, it's awesome. This year was equally well run though I thought the Challenge year was solid too.

This year my son (3) crossed the line with me and got his own medal. That was classy. I'll miss that with IM (assuming their rules apply). I've done lots of IM branded races and hey, they're good and well run but this has been a race I've never come away from feeling gouged.

And just for the record, if IM ever offers a branded Turkey Trot, I will start my own series - "Incredibly Tough Coffee Stroll - 300m half and 600m full (return leg home)"

rsmoylan wrote:
Thoughts? I love this race. Did it as a Challenge event. Great area too. Is Rev 3 going away again?
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [Rrr8400] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The appeal of IM 70.3 to me is on several levels. I find it so confusing that this is oft debated here.

1) They have races in great locations: Oceanside, CDA, Chattanooga, St. George, Mont Tremblant to name a few, and that is just North America. The most amazing course I have ever rode was Zell Am See at the AG race in 2015. There are so many other courses around the world that look really appealing as well. There are obviously local races in great locations, but if you want to compare to Rev 3, sorry, they are going to have to do better than Knoxville, etc.

2) Related to above, but ease of finding races in non-local areas. Since these are all owned by the same company, it is easy to search their network of races on the website. Sure trifind and other internet aggregators can be useful for looking for events, but in reality it is a little cumbersome to search for smaller events in other communities.

3.) Quality competition. I love that you are always going to get a strong collection of athletes at an IM 70.3 event, it speaks to the legitimacy of the event in my opinion. Do fast folks show up at smaller local races? Of course, but it can be inconsistent from race-to-race. I would rather finish 20th AG at a race full of stallions then come in 1st out of 5 in my AG, but that is just me.

4.) Consistent race experience. If I am going to travel a long way and invest big money in a race-cation, I want the race experience to be of a certain level. I am not talking about medals, swag, or freebies, but rather quality course, good volunteer support, maybe some spectators out creating buzz on the course, etc. I am willing to sacrifice some of that experience for a local race, which I do multiple times a year.
Last edited by: milkman1982: Nov 8, 16 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [Fhirleighinn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Timing works for this one so I might sign up.

I was looking at accommodations and I'm just not a fan of inns, motels, and BnB's that probably haven't been really updated since I was born. In fact, can't stand 'em.

How much of a pain in the ass will it be getting from Portland to the race site for both packet pickup/bike drop off, and race day? Looking at possibly staying near the waterfront in Portland.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

I was looking at accommodations and I'm just not a fan of inns, motels, and BnB's that probably haven't been really updated since I was born. In fact, can't stand 'em.

How much of a pain in the ass will it be getting from Portland to the race site for both packet pickup/bike drop off, and race day? Looking at possibly staying near the waterfront in Portland.

Not too far from downtown Portland, probably 25 - 30 minutes. Parking in OOB is a little tough at times but hopefully they'll work on managing that a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

OOB is a honky tonk town that is filled with low end lodging. The beach itself is very nice, and there are plenty of beautiful parts of Maine nearby.

Portland is a great little city and has some nice high end accommodations.

You could save a little time and have the predictability of dealing with national chains by staying near the airport, but there is nothing charming about that immediate area.

Search prior threads about this Rev3 race to see some descriptions of how to plan a visit to Maine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rsmoylan wrote:
Thoughts? I love this race. Did it as a Challenge event. Great area too. Is Rev 3 going away again?

I hope they offer a full too. Maine is really beautiful!
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the record, what was a $199 early sign up with Rev3 is now a $265 WTC special. For that extra $66, you get a lot of extra crowding on the course and no Timberman.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

OOB is a honky tonk town that is filled with low end lodging. The beach itself is very nice, and there are plenty of beautiful parts of Maine nearby.

Portland is a great little city and has some nice high end accommodations.

You could save a little time and have the predictability of dealing with national chains by staying near the airport, but there is nothing charming about that immediate area.

Search prior threads about this Rev3 race to see some descriptions of how to plan a visit to Maine.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm quite sad about Rev3 Maine becoming a WTC race. I did it when it was Challenge Maine and it was one of my favorite 1/2s of any I have done, greatly superior to the WTC ones I have done.

I really like OOB. It is true it is not full of luxury accomodations - it is more like a place frozen in time from the 50's or 60's. My theory was that when air-conditioning became nearly universal people stopped going to places like Old Orchard Beach and it stopped growing. That being said it all the places I saw were very clean and well maintained, just small and not fancy. Kind of reminded me of the sort of places where we would stay when I was a kid.

I thought the expo was just as good as the one at IM Louisville. The crowds were smaller, both on the course and off.

I don't think I'll go now, I don't like the crowds and rampant cheating you see in Ironman branded races.
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
helo guy wrote:
I really like OOB. It is true it is not full of luxury accomodations - it is more like a place frozen in time from the 50's or 60's. My theory was that when air-conditioning became nearly universal people stopped going to places like Old Orchard Beach and it stopped growing. That being said it all the places I saw were very clean and well maintained, just small and not fancy. Kind of reminded me of the sort of places where we would stay when I was a kid.

I was looking through Tripadvisor reviews, advice, and pics of the lodging in OOB and that's why I posed the question I did. I was immediately thinking, "No way I'm staying in any of those places." Not that they weren't clean and well maintained but lack of amenities, restaurants, air conditioning, and other modern conveniences is no bueno for me. When the top two ranked restaurants are french fry and bagel joints, and the top accommodations have the word Motel or Motor Inn in the title, I'm not staying there. I'm not a one percenter snob but I'd like better options than that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to alter my plans for Whistler so I'm "this" close to signing up for the Maine race.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN - Do it, its a really nice race. If I weren't doing IMMT, I'd be going to Maine for sure.

Do you have kids/family that will be with you? It's a great location for the family to hang out. The motels, agreed, aren't the most up to date, but they were fine for the 2-3 nights we were there (2014), and you literally are on this huge beach. We stayed at Waves Oceanfront (think it is/was the sponsor motel...). If they haven't changed the race setup, this motel is right behind the start area of the swim, 1 minute walk from your room.
http://www.wavesoceanfront.com

They have BBQ's in a common 'courtyard' area where a bunch of people were hanging out after the race eating/drinking, and they have a nice outdoor pool too.

If you stay in portland, you lose all that that. You could always hop in your car and drive a little ways for restaurants if you wanted to eat something better than local.
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: Apr 16, 17 7:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
helo guy wrote:
I'm not a one percenter snob but I'd like better options than that.

Sounds like you've never been to coastal Maine?
Yahp, you canht get thayah from heeyah..

There's plenty of 1percent in ME (Bush family compound...), but alot of the charm of Maine is its quaintness. Think steamed lobstah outdoors on paper plates.

Portland is only 15min away. Plenty of better lodging and true gourmet grubhub destinations in the Old Port district!
Quote Reply
Re: Rev 3 Maine now an Ironman 70.3 [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm probably going to by going solo on this one. Definitely no kid as school will have already started for us. Maybe my wife joins me but probably not.

Quote Reply

Prev Next